[ how to ][root][GB] root the lg viper GB/ics

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ how to ] root the lg viper

do not use any recovery on rom manager until i can actually get one going for you guys. i still need the files in order to make it

What all do you need? I think I've got a working recovery.img that should work, it's cwr based, via Koush's builder, but the good part is, I pulled apart the stock recovery after I figured out which partition they stuck it in, and pulled both recovery.fstab's under /etc - yeah, there's 2, not sure why.. they're exactly the same except for fs type labels, and the emmc one has absolute paths, not partition labels. One has EMMC where the other has mtd. However, I included the recovery.mmc_fstab one since it has the absolute /dev paths. I even pulled apart the new recovery.img that the builder built, and examined it closely, it included the recovery.fstab as needed.

(yeah, I've been busy, lol)

My only problem is I'm not quite sure how to flash the recovery to test it, since this thing has no fastboot like my ns4g - via adb maybe?

Last edited:

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

No, I just rooted the phone using the method you listed and haven't flashed any custom recovery. I have ROM Manager installed, but most of it isn't functional with just having the phone rooted (can't fix permissions, etc.)

I wiped the cache and Dalvik cache through adb...
Cleared cache with:
adb shell
su
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl7 /cache
cd /cache

Cleared Dalvik with:
adb shell
su
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl6 /data
rm -r /data/dalvik-cache/*

Then turned the phone off and back on and it still went into the loop. Had to pull the battery twice before it became functional again. I installed DroidGram Reboot and it rebooted with no issues.

The only thing I'm thinking might have caused this issue is that I installed ROM Toolbox and changed the boot screen animation. Once I got the phone functional again, I uninstalled both the animation and the program altogether.
I think I'm going to try and turn the phone off and on again to see if this fixed the problem. I'll keep you posted.

ROM Toolbox is a great program, actually. No need to have uninstalled it. I have jared (the dev of that app) on my gtalk. I don't think he's aware (or just hasn't implemented it yet) of the setup for doing the boot animations in this phone yet. I'll try contacting him later about a fix for it, but I'm fixing to head to bed. I've been up all night working on this thing.. Neither my girl (who the phone belongs to) or I, care for the long startup animation.. ;) We know how you feel about that, lol.

Peace,
~WickiD~

ryanwinston27

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm pretty sure its power + volume down but that just brings up the hard reset menu or boots past it, I've only been able to do it using adb.

Hard reset the phone and while the bar is going hold the Power + Vol Down buttons until recovery menu shows. And someone please give me a copy of the stock firmware to flash with Odin. I'm not gonna pay for a new phone or wait until another update comes.

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site

I`m having problems updating my binary.
Installed version is = 3.0.3.2
latest version is =3.1.1
I press update everything is OK until it gets to copying su to system then it fails.
Is this something i did wrong?
Can it be fixed or is it not my problem ?

I'm having the same problem. Can Superuser be uninstalled then reinstalled to get it to update?

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. Can Superuser be uninstalled then reinstalled to get it to update?

I tried that and it didn't fix it.

Checkout the thread I started in this forum. I posted a response to Mista_J that tells how I did things to get them to work.

I hope that helps. :)

Hard reset the phone and while the bar is going hold the Power + Vol Down buttons until recovery menu shows. And someone please give me a copy of the stock firmware to flash with Odin. I'm not gonna pay for a new phone or wait until another update comes.

AFAIK, there is no loose copy of it. You can download the source and compile it. :p TBQH, my first build with this phone is going to be the stock firmware, just so I can make sure we have something like this. I can gather the .img files after I compile, but I'm not sure if Odin is compatible with LGs, or at least, this one (as I've stated in other posts, this is my first time dealing with one). Don't you need a PIT or MAP file for Odin? I wouldn't know where to get them as I've never (this is going to sound silly, but I can explain) used it outside of 'per-tutorial'.

Peace,
~WickiD~

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In regards to busybox.
1) either is fine
2) advanced install lets you choose your own applets, leave it on the default install setting its a good move to have all of them installed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: popelulz

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I`m having problems updating my binary.
Installed version is = 3.0.3.2
latest version is =3.1.1
I press update everything is OK until it gets to copying su to system then it fails.
Is this something i did wrong?
Can it be fixed or is it not my problem ?

If your having problems with superuser try supersu it works just as well and is developed by acclaimed dev chainfire.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Checkout the thread I started in this forum. I posted a response to Mista_J that tells how I did things to get them to work.

I hope that helps. :)

AFAIK, there is no loose copy of it. You can download the source and compile it. :p TBQH, my first build with this phone is going to be the stock firmware, just so I can make sure we have something like this. I can gather the .img files after I compile, but I'm not sure if Odin is compatible with LGs, or at least, this one (as I've stated in other posts, this is my first time dealing with one). Don't you need a PIT or MAP file for Odin? I wouldn't know where to get them as I've never (this is going to sound silly, but I can explain) used it outside of 'per-tutorial'.

Peace,
~WickiD~

You'd be correct I use Odin for my s3 to flash recoveries you need the tar img for recoveries.

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

In regards to busybox.
1) either is fine
2) advanced install lets you choose your own applets, leave it on the default install setting its a good move to have all of them installed.

In regards to your 1, trust, I learned the hard way not to use /bin (with this phone) - like I said before, it killed the root on the phone and I had to start over with short fuse's s-o-c. The /xbin install works without flaw, though.

I totally agree with you on 2, tho.

You'd be correct I use Odin for my s3 to flash recoveries you need the tar img for recoveries.

Yeah, the only times I've ever used odin was on my samsung captivate and on my ns4g, and both times, it pulled the pit (or was it map? or both? too long ago to remember clearly) from the phone and I was going by a tut (I prefer one-click solutions, even if they use odin tech, because those are usually heavily tested before being published anywhere, and basically fool-proof), which I'm guessing has something to do with the partition table? I'm sure I could find how to write a pit or map, but I'm really just trying to getting through compiling the source so I have something to recover my girl's phone with, should something happen from me screwing around with it, lol.

Peace,
~WickiD~

sandraabsent

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

It's been a while since I've had to root a phone, can someone post up links to the downloads required for this phone. I have superoneclick, but cannot find appropriate links to the lg universal drivers, and the rage exploit.

Edit: Nevermind I got it, worked like a charm

Last edited:

libertus77

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

gollum18,

First of all, thanks for posting this and figuring it out. Happily rooted and ready to go. One thing, I'd like to request is if you could update the OP for a solid picture of the current status of things. The OP says that ShabbyPenguin has gotten the official Recovery online for the phone, then in the thread Shabby says don't use recoveries from ROM Manager until he figures it out. I saw that many used a CWM for another phone, but I'm not clear in reading the thread if that works flawlessly or if I should just wait on installing a Custom Recovery.

With no solid brick fix methods and low dev involvement so far, I want to be careful.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site

gollum18,

First of all, thanks for posting this and figuring it out. Happily rooted and ready to go. One thing, I'd like to request is if you could update the OP for a solid picture of the current status of things. The OP says that ShabbyPenguin has gotten the official Recovery online for the phone, then in the thread Shabby says don't use recoveries from ROM Manager until he figures it out. I saw that many used a CWM for another phone, but I'm not clear in reading the thread if that works flawlessly or if I should just wait on installing a Custom Recovery.

With no solid brick fix methods and low dev involvement so far, I want to be careful.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Don't do it! You will surely brick your phone!

Reactions: libertus77

libertus77

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Mista J,

Thanks! So, we are in a holding pattern on a custom recovery still. Got it. That's what I was thinking, but the OP and the thread contents left me not entirely clear.

Reactions: rp076

dragonsdeath78

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to Shabbypenguin and gollum18, I was able to root my new Viper LTE, but using Shabbypenguin's installer busybox and cwm did not install. I had to install them manually.

Now if just we could get some custom roms for this phone. It seems like a nice device and I like it better than my Iphone and the MyTouch 4G I had.

throonis

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

i lost recovery and my lg viper is stuck on the lg logo please help i can't afford another phone my son tried to root it but if i get instrucitons i can fix it i tried lg updater didn't it says software is current and also recover mode didn't work don't i did get these files from lg updater i turned off my internet i it wouldn't pull them back LS840_WD_1_0_0_0.dll ,LS840ZVD_02.bin and LS840ZVD_02.SD_02.P25002.wdb please help

alog122

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Tried this method over and over for the past 6 hours with no luck. Followed directions to the t same results everytime. Super one click freezes I close it reopen it change exploit hit root and then it gets to step 5 of rooting the device and then fails to continue. Super one click doesn't stop responding it just quits doing anything just says waiting for device... any help?

throonis

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

put this file rageagainstthecage-arm5 in your superoneclick>exploits file then close

then open one click on your left corner you have a drop box choose rageagain now press shell wait for it to work if it freezes close it out then open again now hit root and your phone should be rooted now or follow gollum18 instructions again and it should work i did for me many times

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes