Preventing the ZVK update? Sick of bricked phones.

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have two Vipers. One has a broken screen but otherwise functional, the other is pristine.

I've rooted the first one several times (first, back in January, and now today) and am sick of bricking it. I've figured out that the problem is the ZVK update, I think (that, or deleting Google Play Movies/Music is a no-no on this machine).

Anyhow, I know there are root-keeping apps available that supposedly "unroot" your device so that you can update to the ZVK. How exactly does this work? Meaning, do I "unroot" temporarily so that it can update to ZVK, and then "re-root" after the update?

So what exactly happens when Sprint releases another update before I can "unroot"? Do I get another bricked piece of crap?

Is there any way to PERMANENTLY prevent this automatic update from happening?

In

troark97

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Only delete the sprint stuff. Built in Google stuff will get you a security error. Also root zvi and use superuser app for ota rootkeep( others say voodoo, that might work more often) but sorry for not fully answering your question.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using AC Forums mobile app

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Troark97.

Drives me nuts that deleting the Google apps get it bricked.

So my next question is this--- how can we prevent further updates? I know it asks you "install now/later", but is there a way to just prevent this from popping up every day when an update releases?

FWIW I did flash ZVI, root, and then install Voodoo OTA rootkeeper, and then updated ZVK. Seems to be working fine now, I have several root-required apps running on ZVK.

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to freeze the Ota update system app.

OK that's a good thought. I can test this on my guinea pig phone since it's a clone of my actual user device. Any idea how I identify what the update system app is on this phone? I probably should know off the top of my head but can't think of it at the moment.

If I flash a custom ROM on the phone (if possible on the Viper), will this end all updates and such? I have never flashed a custom ROM before since I don't really need it and I think it's a bit more of a brick-hazard.

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, I found the "Update System" apk. (OmaDMclient.apk).

I chose to disable it with Root App Delete rather than actually remove it. I power-cycled the phone several times and no problems so far, no brick. Hopefully if they do release another update, it won't do something whack and brick in my pocket.

However, if I manually try to update it, the phone will look for an update on the software. Hopefully, though, this means that the automatic update won't happen, but only a manual will.

So I am wondering now..... is there any reason not to delete this phone updater while you still have ZVI loaded onto the phone before it updates to ZVK? In other words, does ZVK have anything that ZVI doesn't? It would skip the need to use the Voodoo root saver app, I think, since it wouldn't (theoretically) try to update to ZVK.

I wish there was a way to keep my device "off the grid" since I do not use it as a phone, but just a Wi-fi browser, GPS, and app machine. I have a flip phone I use for cheap voice plans, I don't need mobile data, just WiFi.

troark97

May 13, 2012
Visit site
There are no custom ROMs for the viper that boot. This device is EOL and will never see another update.
A custom rom would stop all updates.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I may be able to throw a ROM up here, once my stepfather upgrades from his viper (that is if he doesn't sell it). But that won't be till about march.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, so in other words I can't flash a custom ROM even if I wanted to.

No big whoop, really, Nova Launcher does a pretty good job of keeping the device clean looking and hiding crap I can't delete, like Google Music etc. Using Link2SD does a good job keeping the phone working speedily enough.

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Uh, there is... Download a swap file application and make a swap file on the SD card. That's all windows ready boost does.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams