[How To] Root the LG-Vortex VS660

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not responsible for you bricking your device. These instructions worked for me, but they may cause your phone to play tic-tac-toe or thermonuclear war, I don't know you'll have to ask wopper. So please keep in mind this is a standard do at your own risk kind of thing. You screw up your phone, it's your responsibility. I will work with you and try to get you up and running again, but i'm not obligated for repairing your phone and will only offer help at my choosing. now that the dumb part is out of the way.

First off i just want to say this is kind of annoying but it works and you don't have to go through the process of downgrading your firmware just so you can root and be stuck with a lower firmware.

So once you're sure your firmware is up to date and that you're ready to proceed, first you need to download the attachment, I'd really prefer you head on over to the XDA developer's page and get it there, but if you don't have an XDA forum account, which you should, i've provided a link here, just make sure you head on over then and say thanks one way or another.

Next you need to be on your home screen, click the menu button, below the screen all the way to the left, and click settings, select applications, then development. Here you need to check USB Debugging mode, you're going to hate that button in a minuet, and also check stay awake, you can check allow mock locations if it makes you feel better but it's not needed. Stay on this screen, don't go anywhere i'll explain in a bit.

Now back to the computer. Now that SuperOneClick is downloaded, unzip it some where that you're going to remember, desktop is a good place for most people, and run SuperOneClick.exe, usually just by double clicking, don't touch anything just yet.

Plug in the provided USB cable, and wait for your computer to recognize/install drivers for your phone, then immediately eject the drive, BUT DO NOT UNPLUG IT!!!. You can do that by either going to Computer (vista/win 7) and right click eject, or by going to safely remove hardware in the task bar (xp/vista/win 7). Again do not unplug your phone.

Time for SuperOneClick again, first look at your cell phone, uncheck the box for USB debugging mode, and then check it again, then on your computer click on the very large button that says "ROOT". It's going to start flashing a bunch of very fancy commands on the screen don't worry about them. The process should kick up a few pop-ups, the first should be asking you to install Busybox, click yes, the second should be superuser, again click yes, and finally it should ask if you want to donate, this is up to you, you're not donating to me, you're donating to the people who made SuperOneClick, if you can, please do so. Then another box should tell you that this succeeded, just click ok. Now before we close SuperOneClick. Click on the very large box that says "Allow Non Market Apps (requires root), I'm telling you to do this because I didn't bother to check if you could or couldn't install non market apps i just went ahead and clicked the box to be safe, and it doesn't hurt.

Now, if for some reason SuperOneClick didn't ask you if you want to install Superuser or Busybox they are available in the market.

On a closing note, I'd really recommend installing getitnowmarketing's custom recovery, even if you don't plan on roming your phone. Reason being, if you try to start the VORTEX in recovery mode, you will flash your entire phone back to stock, and you'll have to repeat this process. I do have a way to get you 100% back to stock and i'm going to write a thread on how to install the recovery because there are a few things i want made very clear, so that people can return to stock for warranty work and such.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions. If this helped you please click the thank button attached to this post. There is also a rom for you guys, which can be found here the download link is to the left, says "download rom".

I'll be posting a custom recovery thread in a bit though i may wait until i've gotten some sleep this is a very busy week for me and i'm actually swamped i just felt like helping this phone out on here, because there is not a lot of conversation going on around here.

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
the program is not responding... help!?
it got stuck on waiting for device

close SOC and relaunch it. maker sure that your phone is connected and that you've ejected it so that it is only charging. Putting it in charge only mode doesn't seem to work for me. open up menu, settings, applications, development, then uncheck and recheck USB debugging mode, then click root in SOC

tezzmin

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info ichihollow . This is my first smartphone so I am a bit hesitant to try this but all this bloatware has been driving me crazy from day 1. So I am sure I will give it a go soon enough. Just waiting for some others to do it first.

randynbarb

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
How I did it

To get my lg recognized I loaded drivers and checked usb debugging.then i unplugged phone and turned it off.Start superoneclick,picked psneuter mode and hit root.when it says waiting for device plug phone back in so it will start and it will pick up your phone and start the root process.you may have to recheck usb debugging.This was my method to recognize the phone or keep oneclick from looping.Hope it helps.Also had phone in modem mode.

stieber73

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
rooting my lg vortex

Did anyone else get this error?

errornu.jpg

stieber73

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
rooting my lg vortex

Did you keep ur phone off during all this??? And where is the psneuter mode??

To get my lg recognized I loaded drivers and checked usb debugging.then i unplugged phone and turned it off.Start superoneclick,picked psneuter mode and hit root.when it says waiting for device plug phone back in so it will start and it will pick up your phone and start the root process.you may have to recheck usb debugging.This was my method to recognize the phone or keep oneclick from looping.Hope it helps.Also had phone in modem mode.

randynbarb

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
i turned off phone after loading drivers.then started oneclick,when it said waiting for device i turned phone on and it recognized and rooted succsessfully.I used v1.7 which had 2 different mode options i see are not in 1.8.

randynbarb

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
you need to download the custom recovery file for this phone.the flash_image is part of it i believe. recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-vzw-1.1.0.img is the file you need do a search for it and how to flash it.Instructions are in some forums.

hawke

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
THx for a great tut. Worked flawless for me :)

Also a Dumb question here, THis recovery module. This needs to actually be flashed riht now.... or saved to my computer for future use? And do I just follow the instructions on the other forum the file is linked too? Thx...