I have an LG Watch Sport — ask me about it!

uwflatlander

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
How long is the band on the sport?

If it's not removable, that could be a problem for me. I normally have to swap out for a longer band on most watches.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
How long is the band on the sport?

The clasp side is about 80 mm long, the hole side is about 120 mm long.

If it's not removable, that could be a problem for me. I normally have to swap out for a longer band on most watches.

Correct, the bands are not removable.

Speaking with Google they claimed they were aiming to make the band long enough to fit just about any wrist (within reason). I have what I would consider larger wrists, which contain the size of the large LG Watch Sport just fine, and even when I wear it loosely I have 4 more holes in the band left over.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re Android wear 2. I regularly use my watch via voice to control what's playing on my phone when I'm driving but it only allows via google play music, will android wear 2 allow control of different music player apps.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Great review Andrew, thanks.

Given the changed nature of Android 2.0 (less of a "slave" to the phone), is there any chance you can use the LG Watch Sport with two different Android phones (i.e. a "work" phone and a "personal" phone) without having to factory reset the watch like with AW 1.0 devices? I know, crazy idea ;)

Also, are you using the new Google Voice app on your phone? If so, did you get your SMS as expected on the watch? I don't have any trouble with it on my Moto 360 2 watch but was just curious.

Thanks

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This is similar to my Qualcomm Toc watch, the band is non-removable because there are touch sensors in the band (actually worked quite well!) and they were very ridged where they connected to the phone body. I have narrow wrists but I didn't have any issue wearing the Toc. However you have to physically cut the Toc band to fit it to your wrist, which is partly why I still own it ;) I am wondering with my wrist size how much "extra strap" there will be with the LG Watch Sport.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Re Android wear 2. I regularly use my watch via voice to control what's playing on my phone when I'm driving but it only allows via google play music, will android wear 2 allow control of different music player apps.

Hmm that's interesting. I haven't ever heard of that. Maybe if you better explain what the connection is in terms of where the processing of that request is happening, I can help you.

Great review Andrew, thanks.

Thanks! You're welcome.

Given the changed nature of Android 2.0 (less of a "slave" to the phone), is there any chance you can use the LG Watch Sport with two different Android phones (i.e. a "work" phone and a "personal" phone) without having to factory reset the watch like with AW 1.0 devices? I know, crazy idea ;)

Oh, interesting. I can say that you're able to add multiple Google accounts to the watch (if they're on your phone, you can copy them to the watch at setup), so you could add a personal and work account ... but there's no profile switching or ability to say "no, I want to feed info to/from this phone now" — just like before.

Also, are you using the new Google Voice app on your phone? If so, did you get your SMS as expected on the watch? I don't have any trouble with it on my Moto 360 2 watch but was just curious.

Thanks

I can't use the new Google Voice app on my phone because I'm a Project Fi subscriber and they've killed that functionality for now. Sorry!

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh, interesting. I can say that you're able to add multiple Google accounts to the watch (if they're on your phone, you can copy them to the watch at setup), so you could add a personal and work account ... but there's no profile switching or ability to say "no, I want to feed info to/from this phone now" — just like before.

Yeah I saw that with the accounts, which is very cool for people with multiple accounts. I keep thinking someday this will work like my bluetooth headphones that can be paired to two phones at once. Thanks for replying.

jring920

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Just in case you somehow didn't notice, the LG Watch Sport is here!

I wrote a full review LG Watch Sport review: The best showcase for Android Wear 2.0 | Android Central, but after reading through it maybe you have some extra questions.

Hit me with anything you want to know about the LG Watch Sport, or Android Wear 2.0!

Andrew, do you expect any LTE Android Wear watches to ever support Project Fi sims? While it's always fun to pay the extra device fee from At&t, having Fi capability would be great. Thanks

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Here's my scenario, when I'm driving and my phone is connected to my car via Bluetooth I only have limited controls on the car to control my music, such as next/ back/ pause/ volume etc.

So what I do if I want to play specific track/s is I use voice control on my watch, such as "Ok Google - play Meatloaf" or ""Ok Google - play album....."
This works great apart from it will always use Google play music, which means my play stats don't get updated to my Pc, as I normally use Media Monkey.
I know this isn't much of a problem in the grand scheme of things but it would be great if I could get it to work as I want.
I hope the above makes sense, things sound right in my head but they sometimes come out jumbled when I try put them down on paper.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Can you compare to the Urbane 2nd edition LTE? Size, weight, comfort? Main thing I dislike about the Urbane 2nd edition LTE is the plastic back that gets a little sweaty. A small window for HRM and mostly metal or textured plastic would probably be nicer, but looks like this may be fairly similar.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I saw that with the accounts, which is very cool for people with multiple accounts. I keep thinking someday this will work like my bluetooth headphones that can be paired to two phones at once. Thanks for replying.

The problem is that even though there's a lot of new independence built into Android Wear 2.0, it still heavily leans on an attached phone for data. It wants to be connected to just one phone, anything else would be confusing to it.

Andrew, do you expect any LTE Android Wear watches to ever support Project Fi sims? While it's always fun to pay the extra device fee from At&t, having Fi capability would be great. Thanks

I have no knowledge of a Project Fi-compatible watch coming. My guess would be that there's a limited amount of resources to go into things like that, and when it comes down to it it's money better spent to have it working with AT&T and Verizon first.

Here's my scenario, when I'm driving and my phone is connected to my car via Bluetooth I only have limited controls on the car to control my music, such as next/ back/ pause/ volume etc.

So what I do if I want to play specific track/s is I use voice control on my watch, such as "Ok Google - play Meatloaf" or ""Ok Google - play album....."
This works great apart from it will always use Google play music, which means my play stats don't get updated to my Pc, as I normally use Media Monkey.
I know this isn't much of a problem in the grand scheme of things but it would be great if I could get it to work as I want.
I hope the above makes sense, things sound right in my head but they sometimes come out jumbled when I try put them down on paper.

Yeah I get it. The difference now is that the voice control on the watch is Google Assistant running solely on the watch, not a conduit to controlling your phone. So if you were to try and play music, it would start playing on the watch (and through headphones presumably you have paired directly to the watch).

Whether or not a music service integrates with voice control on the watch would theoretically just be up to the music app. Much like multiple music services work with Google Home today.

Hope that helps!

Can you compare to the Urbane 2nd edition LTE? Size, weight, comfort? Main thing I dislike about the Urbane 2nd edition LTE is the plastic back that gets a little sweaty. A small window for HRM and mostly metal or textured plastic would probably be nicer, but looks like this may be fairly similar.

I dont have an Urbane 2nd Edition ... but I do have an original Urbane. The Watch Sport has a similar plastic back, and dimensions-wise they're both similar. If you find one uncomfortable there will be no jou for you in the other.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Have you actually used Android Pay with it?

Is the wireless charging standard? Will work on a chi charger? Though a little awkward with the band, it would be handy for travel.

Khalid Brown1

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I want to use to work out and run. How durable is the material. I do alot of outdoor workout and weights in the gym. Also, I know this is not specific to thw watch, but are there apps that have guided workout?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you actually used Android Pay with it?

I did! It works! I break out a few paragraphs in the review explaining how it worked for me. If you have a specific question about Pay I'd be happy to answer it.

Is the wireless charging standard? Will work on a chi charger? Though a little awkward with the band, it would be handy for travel.

It is using inductive charging, but it is not designed to work on a Qi charger. On top of the bands being fixed and making it difficult to place, the coils are actually specific to this design and aren't supposed to work on a Qi pad. I'm sure if you stuck it on there it'd charge a bit, but I would in no way recommend it. You'll have to stick to the included charging stand :)

I want to use to work out and run. How durable is the material. I do alot of outdoor workout and weights in the gym.

I'd say it's pretty durable just from the standpoint of the thick TPU bands and the 316L stainless steel case, but this isn't a "rugged" watch in the same way that the Casio and some of the running-focused watches are. It doesn't have any thick rubber protection around it or anything. I could easily see it getting a few dings if you spend time in the gym with it. It won't break or anything, but cosmetically it may not hold up too long.

Also, I know this is not specific to thw watch, but are there apps that have guided workout?

The Google Fit app includes some guided workouts that give you time intervals, workout types and step-by-step guidance, but there are also a handful of more workout-specific apps that have some as well. Check out the Play Store and see what's there that is interesting to you — you can see the screenshots and explanations for each even if you don't have a watch yet.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you try AT&T's Number sync using your Pixel?

Nope, unfortunately not because my Pixel is on Project Fi.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work, though — all you have to do is have the devices both on AT&T, and then go through the call forwarding setup on the watch while paired and it handles the rest.

dirkpitt73

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Andrew I thought your review was the best of the initial batch on this watch. I'm excited to get one as a replacement for my Moto 360 Sport. Have you seen the Google Store exclusive blue model in the flesh? Wondering how it compares to the standard model in terms of aesthetics. Neither is up on the store yet, hoping for tomorrow. Also, I'm on Fi too and fully expect we'll have a data only SIM solution in short order.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Did you try AT&T's Number sync using your Pixel?

I would note that Numbersync does not technically work with the Pixel because it is not an "HD Voice" phone. For whatever reason, AT&T requires Numbersync to be used with a phone that AT&T allows to support HD Voice. Sometimes you can fool the system into allowing it to work if you switch from one of AT&T's HDVoice capable phones, but most times it will not work or will it will kick the Numbersync out at some point. It is very disappointing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude