Verizon version

BeyondtheTech#AC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Since people are saying that the two models for AT&T and Verizon are actually identical, with the exception of the included SIM card, just pick up one from an AT&T store outright. They're much more stocked than the Google Store and Best Buy.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Since people are saying that the two models for AT&T and Verizon are actually identical, with the exception of the included SIM card, just pick up one from an AT&T store outright. They're much more stocked than the Google Store and Best Buy.

The issue is not whether the device is compatible, but whether Verizon will allow it onto their network. There are a couple of folks here who've managed to do so, but it's not a sure thing.

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I bought an​ AT&T version in Saturday and took it straight to Verizon. Waiting on the call, text or email that the device was accepted. As soon as Verizon version is released I'll sell this one.

ryanovelo

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
FYI - For those that will be using this watch on Verizon. Verizon uses Message+. This is a massive pain (especially on the iPhone). Messages do not transfer over to the app properly. Also, the SIM will be a data only SIM so ALL LTE voice calls will use your data. The voice portion of the SIM will be a "hot line" per Verizon so it cannot make calls like your phone can.

Also - as has been discussed in numerous posts, LTE absolutely murders the battery. I am an extremely tolerant "early adopter" and I will go out and say LTE is useless unless you use it under emergency circumstances only. A run with GPS and LTE on will take approximately 1.5% to 2% PER MINUTE of your battery.

ryanovelo

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday, I had LTE on (along with bluetooth and wifi). Took it off the charger at 6:30 am. The watch was dead by 10 am. It does not prioritize connections so LTE will continue to burn the battery even if you are connected to wifi and bluetooth. Connections are also a nightmare while using an iPhone - the watch disconnects about a hundred times a day (even when trying to do something on the watch). You have to swipe up and hit reconnect EVERY SINGLE TIME.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
FYI - For those that will be using this watch on Verizon. Verizon uses Message+. This is a massive pain (especially on the iPhone). Messages do not transfer over to the app properly. Also, the SIM will be a data only SIM so ALL LTE voice calls will use your data. The voice portion of the SIM will be a "hot line" per Verizon so it cannot make calls like your phone can.

Also - as has been discussed in numerous posts, LTE absolutely murders the battery. I am an extremely tolerant "early adopter" and I will go out and say LTE is useless unless you use it under emergency circumstances only. A run with GPS and LTE on will take approximately 1.5% to 2% PER MINUTE of your battery.

Are you saying that Verizon's wearable plan doesn't have minutes, text, and data like a smartphone plan; it's a data only plan like a tablet? Is that true with all their watches, or only those bought from outside sources?

Aside from the proverbial "go for a run without my phone" use case scenario, your battery consumption with LTE seems excessive. Whenever​ I've been surprised by a low battery, it's always occurred when I was in an area or building with poor reception and my watch was repeatedly searching for a signal. While I can't comment on the LG specifically​ since I don't own one, my Gear S3 typically gets through a 14+ hour day with LTE (and display) set to always on. The Sport may be a bit less energy efficient, but not by an order of magnitude.

rdbates33

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
We know that VZW has had LG Watch Sports tucked away for a while now, but they're refusing to sell them. Excerpt from the press release dated 2-8-17 on Verizon’s site, “Pricing and Availability: The LG Watch Sport will be available for pre-order online at Verizon starting Feb 10 and will soon be available in stores for $329.99 with new two-year activation. The Wear24 smartwatch will be available online and in Verizon stores next month [March] for $299.99 with new two-year activation.” Mid-March arrived and Verizon let LG Watch Sport pre-order customers know the deliveries were being pushed to mid-April due to product demand. Everyone accepted this because it seemed legit with the Watch Sport being the hot new item. Then mid-April arrived and Verizon alerted deliveries were being moved again to late April for the same reason – product demand. We confronted Verizon about the product demand excuse as 1) they hadn’t yet shipped any Watch Sports to any customers and 2) none of their stores had the Watch Sport on display for review. Verizon immediately changed their story and told us they hadn’t received any shipments from LG. At this point, we became concerned the Watch Sport may be a VZW vaporware scam, so we reached out to LG. On 4/16/17, LG confirmed they had shipped watches to both Verizon and ATT. We confronted Verizon with this information, and their story changed again. Now Verizon told us they did receive a shipment, but that it wasn’t enough to justify shipping product to customers. At the same time, we found out that Verizon’s Wear24 watch was pushed out of March due to manufacturing issues. This solidified our theory that VZW was hiding the Watch Sport because they didn’t want to cannibalize sales on the delayed Wear24. Just a few days later, Verizon reverted back to the product demand excuse and notified Watch Sport pre-order customers that delivery was being pushed to 5/11. On that same day, Verizon opened Wear24 pre-ordering and announced it would be available 5/11, which was coincidentally the same date as the LG Watch Sport. End game: Verizon had Watch Sport in stock but held them out of the marketplace to give the lower priced Wear24 a competitive edge. And believe me, we don’t have any fantasies about receiving one from VZW on 5/11, on 6/11, or 7/11. Verizon has gone to such lengths to keep the Watch Sport off our hands (no pun intended), there’s no way they’ll allow it equal opportunity when the Wear24 hits stores. We’re predicting a perpetual “Out-Of-Stock” situation for at least two months minimum. So if you’re a new tech junkie and want this watch, you'll need to purchase from ATT (without a plan) or Best Buy and use as a standalone or put in some work to get VZW to initiate it on their network.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
We’re predicting a perpetual “Out-Of-Stock” situation for at least two months minimum. So if you’re a new tech junkie and want this watch, you'll need to purchase from ATT (without a plan) or Best Buy and use as a standalone or put in some work to get VZW to initiate it on their network.
Verizon can drag their feet, but consumers' choices will continue to increase. The LG Sport was special because it was first, not because it was great. It seems like there is a new AW watch being announced every week.

Another option available right now is the ZTE Quartz on T-Mobile. Their single line wearable line is $15/mo. A watch and phone need not be on the same network.

rdbates33

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
And the deception just continues! Not for us this time, but for the Samsung fans out there. Verizon was supposed to sell the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier beginning April 21st. But guess what? VZW announced those sales are being delayed until the end of Q2 "due to unforeseen circumstances." This watch has been available thru ATT for a while now. Does this scam sound familiar to any of the LG Watch Sport fans out there? Wow! Seems like VZW is going for a record year of ticking off different customer subsets! Another huge fail for Big Red!

rdbates33

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Saw some VZW preorder customer feedback this evening stating they checked their order today and it was missing altogether from their order queue. Called Verizon to have the order reinstated, and customer service confirmed order was still valid. Unsure as to why it disappeared. Anyone else have or hear about users with a similar issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech