Do I have to have data turned on to receive / send text?

tsquare2112

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just got this watch yesterday. I ran the battery dry 2 times, once was just updating, setting it up, etc... Second was after a full charge with medium useage. I decided to turn off cellular data to conserve battery. I noticed after I turned off data, I got email alerts, facebook alerts, etc., but no text. The text was not syncing. I was under the assumption that it would still get text via bluetooth. Is there a setting I am missing, or does it have to have cell data since its numbersync? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using it with my LG g6, with default text messaging app

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Text messages are considered "phone", not data. I don't have this watch so data being off my very well affect some functionality, but as you've noted, everything works over BT on my Gear watches. Hopefully some of the LG watch folks will chime in with more info for you.

hagar852

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I just got this watch yesterday. I ran the battery dry 2 times, once was just updating, setting it up, etc... Second was after a full charge with medium useage. I decided to turn off cellular data to conserve battery. I noticed after I turned off data, I got email alerts, facebook alerts, etc., but no text. The text was not syncing. I was under the assumption that it would still get text via bluetooth. Is there a setting I am missing, or does it have to have cell data since its numbersync? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using it with my LG g6, with default text messaging app

The watch can get text messages not connected to LTE. I am getting them right now with my LTE off in the watch.

Check Android wear app and make sure the text messages aren't being blocked.

Have you opened the text message app on the watch yet? It may also need permission to access texts on the phone, that happens for mine but I am using the Verizon message app.

But the watch should receive texts even with its cell radio off.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I just got the watch, and had an issue with this as well. The NumberSync messes with normal Android Wear, and an AT&T tech confirmed that. If you have numbersync set up, and you turn LTE off, you will not get calls or texts on your watch. If you want to use your watch like a normal Android Wear Watch, you have to go to Settings -> Connectivity -> Cellular -> NumberSync, and then disable NumberSync.

Now, what I have done is factory reset my watch, and set it up without ever activating NumberSync to test it. It is working perfectly now. After a few more hours I am going to try to set up NumberSync, test it out with the watch, then deactivate it and see if the watch goes back to normal Android Wear. I'll report back if anyone else is interested in this.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that disabling NumberSync is just a switch, you can re-enable it by clicking a button, so you don't have to set up the whole thing from scratch. Still, if this is the case seems ridiculous that the watch cannot automatically disable NumberSync when LTE is not connected, but it seems you have to do that manually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech