so...how good is gps?

glenner05

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
A question for those lucky urbane lte 2 users... how good is gps performance? Does it lock quickly and how does it perform while running? I know it only works with lg fit app for now when not connected to the phone, but i'm very curious about standalone gps performance because i intend to use it while jogging or cycling when i get my hands on one (europe)

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with Google Maps app while standalone (connected to the phone via LTE). It locks fast (just like my phone) and tracks well. Unfortunately, it won't let me do driving navigation in this way (probably need the phone nearby with BT connection). But I kept an eye on the moving map while driving for a few miles It works just like Google Map on my phone.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I tried it with Google Maps app while standalone (connected to the phone via LTE). It locks fast (just like my phone) and tracks well. Unfortunately, it won't let me do driving navigation in this way (probably need the phone nearby with BT connection). But I kept an eye on the moving map while driving for a few miles It works just like Google Map on my phone.
Sounds promising... And faster than the Gear S.

splacka99

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I played around with the GPS yesterday and took it out for a run and you do not have to use the LG Health app.

Now most of the popular apps do depend on the phone's GPS but I found 2 apps that would work without the phone. Ghostracer worked very well, GPS seemed to lock in pretty quickly and the mapping was accurate. Runkeeper is supposed to work as well but in my quick test the mapping was not very accurate. I will have to test on a real run another time. I normally use Strava but it would not work without the phone. I had never heard of it before but it looks like Ghostracer is the answer so far since it works without the phone and can sync automatically to Strava or Runkeeper.

I can't really figure out the benefit of the LG Health app. How do I get the results back to the phone? Where do I see the map of my run?

I will test Runkeeper again, then probably Runtastic, MapMyRun and Endomondo.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, vrey helpful. What was the battery drain with GPS tracking on?

Also check out Nike plus. They made their Gear S app work in stand-alone mode (the only ones!) so they may do the same for 3G AW watches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz