Apps that work in standalone mode

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
With phone in airplane mode and watch cell radio enabled, here is a list of apps I tested that work when untethered:

* My Tracks.
* Alarm
* Flash light
* Stop watch
* Timer
* Google Maps (map only, navigation doesn't work)
* Messenger (text message from watch number).

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
One thing I noticed was that if you leave your phone at home, or at least outside of BT connection, with the phone on and with a data connection (WiFi/cell data) basically all of the apps work. Its kind of a weird way to do things, but it seems that the LTE from the watch just uses its data to connect to the the phone, wherever it is to get its information. That's why there is such a limited amount of apps that will work with phone in airplane mode (or off for that matter).

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed was that if you leave your phone at home, or at least outside of BT connection, with the phone on and with a data connection (WiFi/cell data) basically all of the apps work.

I did try that and can't get navigation to work from the watch.

Utters2027

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
First post woot woot. I tried the same thing leaving the phone connected to data and getting out of range of the BT connection. The watch switched over to LTE. The OK Google had some delay to it, unlike when it is BT to the phone which is almost instant. The maps had full functionality until I tried to have it navigate, showing error "Connect to Phone and try again". Seems like the maps app just isn't there yet.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I guess I didn't actually try to navigate, I just used Maps to verify my location and see how good the GPS is. Which was darn near perfect by the way. Took about 5 seconds to load, and once it did, my position was perfectly accurate. I will try to navigate next time I go out without my phone and see what happens. Seems like something that would be really nice to have if you don't have your phone on you...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo