Urbane LTE 2nd Edition pay-as-you-go data

rocketjam

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I only need data on this watch occasionally, and I'm not an AT&T customer. Thought there may be some others in the same boat, and wanted to share my experience so far getting this watch to work with a pay-as-you-go service for data.

Tried H20 sim, was able to call and text but no data (SIM status said H2O, but network always said disconnected). Wrong APN settings I suspect. I did notice in troubleshooting this option that if you have the sim out and turn the cell radio on there is an additional option under advanced for selecting network operator, mine showed auto, AT&T, and T-Mobile. This field goes away when you put in either an AT&T sim or H2O. Don't have a T-mobile sim.

Next I tried AT&T GoPhone sim. I have setup under the $2/day plan (only charges you $2/day if you text or call on the account). Cheapest option is $25/3mo = $8.33/mo (can do $10/mo for cheapest one-time payment). Your $2/day comes out of this amount. It would not let me use data on the default 1c/5kb setting for this plan (I suspect because this is only for non-smart phones, and AT&T identifies this watch as a smartphone, also its kinda expensive!). You can add however a $1/100mb/1day option. So for me I'll probably use data 4days/mo and turn on only some months out of the year. So thats $14/mo, whenever I want. You also don't need to setup reoccurring payments so presumably you don't have to worry about charges getting out of hand. Not sure what happens when you go over $100mb in one day when you have this option added.

I have the AT&T GoPhone config going right now and the watch is connected and gets data with no BT or Wifi connection (google maps works and I get hangout notifications from my phone on the watch). Shows disconnected (cloud/slash icon) from time to time but this may be cell service in my area or it maybe the cell radio shutting down when not needed?

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried a data plan option with T-mobile, or got any other cheaper option to work.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I am still debating which sim to get for it. So with the ATT Go sim, you can see the correct APN settings?
After making the ATT card work, have you tried swapping the ATT card with the H2O card to see if the APN settings persist? I know. Not very logical, and the settings are supposed to be different, but who knows...

I bought this watch specifically to use with my $5/mo Tmo wearables sim, because they told me I could, and of course, I couldn't, so I am looking for something super cheap to use about 1-2 hours per day while out on the trails, and need data, voice, txt.

rocketjam

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Normal ATT plan and ATT gophone have same APN settings when you pick the phone option vs tablet option. This is why I tried it after messing with H2O and not being able to change APN. H2O has only small differences in APN settings, but apparently enough to make it not work. I swapped back and forth between a normal ATT sim and H2O previously (ATT always showed network connected, H2O always did not). I even tried hot swapping the sim with the watch on - no luck.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I tried Ting, they're on the t mobile network, but could only send/receive calls and receive texts when in standalone mode. Data never worked. Probably also related to APN settings. Ting is $6 per month per device plus charges for "buckets" of minutes, messages and megabytes shared across all devices. So if the watch is your only device it would probably be $12/month when used without data ($6+$3+$3+$0). I switched to H20 and pay $10 for 90 days credit at 5c per msg/min. Still no data. I'm hoping APN settings will be editable at some point. I'm only away from the phone when I'm running so I'm trying to avoid paying more than $10/month for occasional use but i'd definitely like to have data access. Hopefully someone will figure this out for non ATT/T Mobile users.

Posted via the Android Central App

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Didn't T-Mo used to offer $14.99/mo BYOD smartphone plan? Is that no longer offered?

You mean the wearables plan for non Tmo customers? They burried their wearables plan information, so my guess is they are no longer interested in offering it, since their wearables provisioning process is all messed up anyway.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You mean the wearables plan for non Tmo customers? They burried their wearables plan information, so my guess is they are no longer interested in offering it, since their wearables provisioning process is all messed up anyway.
No, I mean full smartphone plan. I'm aware that wearable plan won't work.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine is working on the $5/mo TMobile wearables plan just fine. Is there any other reason why your sim doesn't work?

Oh.....yes, phone works but no data without the phone. I didn't mind, but its worth the $5 for me to be able to call my phone or watch, if lost away from bluetooth reach, and good for emergencies.
There is a whole thread about it here.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not clear on what you mean. I been on the Tmobile Wearable plan, and it works fine. Granted it only works for phone calls, but not data.
Whaaaat? I talked to a dozen folks at Tmo and not one could make my wearables sim work inside the LG 2LTE. Is that the device your tmo wearables sim works in for you?

I called Tmobile before I even purchased mine to make sure I could use my wearables sim with it, but as soon as I put it inside the Urbane, Tmo flagged my sim and it now no longer even works inside my Gear S that I have been using it in for the past year. Can I ask: if you do use a wearables sim with your Urbane, when is the first time you put the sim in? I wonder if they finally changed something on their end, and if it's worth asking them to reprovision my sim again.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Strange......Well all I can tell you is what I did. Mine has worked with no issues since the 25th of last month. I had a extra TMobile sim that was from my iphone 6 that I sold. Called TMobile asked for activations, and told them I had a Galaxy Gear S coming in the mail (but I really didn't ), and wanted to activated my extra sim on the wearables plan. So he did the scripted speech and told me my new number. I waited to for the new plan to show up on my account about 2 hours, before puting in my sim. Plan showed up, turn off the LG Urbane 2nd, put the sim card in, rebooted, turned on the cell in settings, and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Here is a link to the plan, hidden on the website. At the bottom shows they only offer the plan with Samsung Gear S, So tell them its coming in the mail.
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-18156

I think your right and they change something, I had the Gear S2 (returned) and I believe around the time they were fixing the Gear S2 cell issues, your sim config got all messed up. but it was all fixed by the 25th I guess.

I may try to get the sim reprovisioned one last time. I just checked, and i guess the last time i tried to use that sim in my Gear S was on 11/27, and I got a message saying that I am using the sim in an unauthorized device, so the dates are sadly no indication of a fix.
I just sold my Gear S on Ebay, so would like to keep using the sim im my Urbane 2 LTE. The problem, or one of the many problems, is that when T-mo engineers run out of ideas, they say the issue must be because my Gear S is from ATT. I have no way of checking my SIM in a Tmo Gear S. Not that I'd go back to a Gear S after using the Urbane 2 LTE with its phenomenal battery life, but I'd like to at least test out my currently unusable SIM in a device that presumably is supported by them.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not clear on what you mean. I been on the Tmobile Wearable plan, and it works fine. Granted it only works for phone calls, but not data.
wearable plan should work for data as well. Have you powered off your watch?

The problem with T-mo wearable plan is well documented in this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edition/609307-t-mobile-use.html.

Without data, the wearable plan is only half as useful because you can't get the notification or SMS sent to your phone.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad