Confirmed unlocked

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This has been the case since early 2015. Samsung Gear S owners first found out this restriction (you know AT&T versions always sold cheaper than other carriers). If you can find some one in T-mo knows what he is doing, you maybe able to get him put your watch's imei number into the T-mo system (it seems possible) and it will work. All it does is check the IMEI number to make sure it is a known wearable, not a phone.

kminatta

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
for those using the Urbane on T-mo and a phone on AT&T, how do you get calls and texts to the watch from the phone when you aren't connected via Bluetooth?

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
for those using the Urbane on T-mo and a phone on AT&T, how do you get calls and texts to the watch from the phone when you aren't connected via Bluetooth?

I have Truphone on the watch and Cricket on the phone. When not connected by BT, I forward my calls to the watch's SIM number. As long as the watch is paired to the phone through cell data, I can leave my phone at home and still send/receive texts through the phone. I use Google messenger for texting.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up an Urbane at AT$T store in Oakland, CA. No issues. They didn't even offer a plan when I told them I wanted to pay full retail. They didn't k ow they had it. They had to go in the back and find it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

daverns

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have Truphone on the watch and Cricket on the phone. When not connected by BT, I forward my calls to the watch's SIM number. As long as the watch is paired to the phone through cell data, I can leave my phone at home and still send/receive texts through the phone. I use Google messenger for texting.

If you don't mind, how much data on Truphone do you use when you are not connected on BT? Also do you knwo if Truphone SIM expires?

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
If you don't mind, how much data on Truphone do you use when you are not connected on BT? Also do you knwo if Truphone SIM expires?

I only use my watch in standalone when I run and leave the phone in the car so my data usage is only from notifications received and GPS tracking info synced during/after a run. I probably average about 1-3MB per run and probably less than 30MB per month. I'm averaging less than $4 a month but it all depends on how you use the watch.

I contacted Truphone to ask about the SIM expiration and received the following reply from a CS rep:

"Truphone SIM card expires after 180 days or 6 months of non usage, to avoid the expiration you need to at least use any of the services (Voice, SMS or Data) once within 180 days. Credits on the account does not expire as long as your SIM is active."

daverns

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I only use my watch in standalone when I run and leave the phone in the car so my data usage is only from notifications received and GPS tracking info synced during/after a run. I probably average about 1-3MB per run and probably less than 30MB per month. I'm averaging less than $4 a month but it all depends on how you use the watch.

I contacted Truphone to ask about the SIM expiration and received the following reply from a CS rep:

"Truphone SIM card expires after 180 days or 6 months of non usage, to avoid the expiration you need to at least use any of the services (Voice, SMS or Data) once within 180 days. Credits on the account does not expire as long as your SIM is active."

Thanks a lot mdw1995, this is good information. I may try to sign up for Truphone, $4 to $5 a month should be reasonable enough.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Went to a tmobile store today and was able to activate the watch with no problems with the wearable plan. Yay!

Please indicate how?
I went into the store and they were not able to get me service while the SIM was provisioned as a wearable.
They tried. Thy took my IMEI and added in the system, etc....
Ultimately I walked out with a $3 prepay.
I could not get service while the SIM was setup for a non T-Mobile wearable.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been using it on T-Mobile with their 5$/mos Wearables plan since November & it works fine.

I've also used the SIM on other Wearables like the Omate TrueSmart+.
Did you have the sim card and wearables plan prior to using it in the Urbane or Omate, maybe from the Gear s?
I had a wearables sim and used it in the Gear S, but since the very first time i tried to use it, it just keeps getting blocked and i get a message to return it to a qualifying device. Engineering tried to reprovision the sim multiple times, and it works for under a second every time, then it gets blocked by their network again.

I am using a Truphone sim now, but the wearables plan was more convenient, since it comes with unlimited data (500 highspeed), which I may need once more apps start supporting standalone AW devices,

starcat42

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
hey i have the watch and i bought a t mobile sim but mine has no net work connection, i could really use your help.

does your watch work for 100 percent certain without bluetooth and ONLY cellular? if you go into sim card info does it show t mobile?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000