Does anyone have the Verizon version?

Ljayhova

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd watch now and still am unable to get a cellular connection. I troubleshot for 3 days with technicians over the phone to the point they told me it was defective and just take it in for another one so I did that and am having the same issue. Took it into a store and their tech guy had no idea how the watch worked, he even tried using the Samsung gear app to change the settings for the watch. The watch shows as activated on my account but in the SIM status it shows my network state as Disconnected.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the Verizon version, just curious, when cellular is turned on does Service State in the SIM status show 'in service' and Network State shows disconnected? Is the watch connected by BT to your phone when testing this?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If I read it correctly from Verizon's posted spec, Verizon version of the watch only supports a single radio: Band 13 LTE. Everything, voice, data and SMS only works in this single band. If so, this will be a quite unique device to activate correctly as normal Verizon devices all have CDMA radio for voice and SMS. If your account isn't properly provisioned, it may not work.

Also, WTH is Samsung Gear app has anything to do with this watch. That is only for Samsung watch (Gear S and S2), not for AW watches. If the store clerk only knows how to activate Samsung watches, that could be a problem because Samsung watches actually contains CDMA radio for voice and SMS.

Ljayhova

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
If I read it correctly from Verizon's posted spec, Verizon version of the watch only supports a single radio: Band 13 LTE. Everything, voice, data and SMS only works in this single band. If so, this will be a quite unique device to activate correctly as normal Verizon devices all have CDMA radio for voice and SMS. If your account isn't properly provisioned, it may not work.

Also, WTH is Samsung Gear app has anything to do with this watch. That is only for Samsung watch (Gear S and S2), not for AW watches. If the store clerk only knows how to activate Samsung watches, that could be a problem because Samsung watches actually contains CDMA radio for voice and SMS.

I was just pointing how much he didn't know about the watch but tried to act like he did the fact he tried to use the samsung gear app that has nothing to do with android wear. Seems as if nobody at Verizon has been trained on how these things operate.

Ljayhova

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I don't have the Verizon version, just curious, when cellular is turned on does Service State in the SIM status show 'in service' and Network State shows disconnected? Is the watch connected by BT to your phone when testing this?

Yes service state does show in service and network state disconnected. I've tried with it connected BT and in standalone.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes service state does show in service and network state disconnected. I've tried with it connected BT and in standalone.

Ok. Thanks. I know network state is always disconnected on mine when connected by BT or Wi-Fi to the phone. I tried a couple of pay as you go provider SIMs when I first got the watch and I couldn't get the network to connect because the APN settings didn't import correctly and there was no way to edit them. You could check the settings, but since this device is actually made for Verizon I don't think that would be the issue.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Here's a different thought: what if you simply don't have a tower that puts out band 13 LTE signal around you? Could that be possible? Tmobile can tell me what bands the towers in my area transmit if I call to ask.

With devices that support multiple of your carrier's bands, it would not be a problem, since they'd just use the other available bands. With a device that only supports one single band, this may be an issue?

It's outrageous that Verizon charges so much more for this device than ATT, given the specs and their network.

Ljayhova

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Here's a different thought: what if you simply don't have a tower that puts out band 13 LTE signal around you? Could that be possible? Tmobile can tell me what bands the towers in my area transmit if I call to ask.

With devices that support multiple of your carrier's bands, it would not be a problem, since they'd just use the other available bands. With a device that only supports one single band, this may be an issue?

It's outrageous that Verizon charges so much more for this device than ATT, given the specs and their network.

I tried calling again last night and got the same dumb responses. I had two different people at Verizon tell me the watch doesn't function without being tethered to a phone. The first didn't know what to do and transferred me to LG which wasn't any help because I don't think it's anything they can do it has to be something with Verizon's network and the sim cards maybe? 2nd call I had to get into a screaming match with a guy until he looked into it and wound up apologizing for being wrong. At the end of it all he wound up telling me he would have to elevate it to their network technicians and they would call me back in 24-48 hours. Just pisses me off that they launced a product and nobody is trained on how it operates. Seems like I'm one of the only people that bought the watch from them. I'm at the point I want to just return it and try my luck getting one from ATT off contract.

Mrfantastic1381

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd watch now and still am unable to get a cellular connection. I troubleshot for 3 days with technicians over the phone to the point they told me it was defective and just take it in for another one so I did that and am having the same issue. Took it into a store and their tech guy had no idea how the watch worked, he even tried using the Samsung gear app to change the settings for the watch. The watch shows as activated on my account but in the SIM status it shows my network state as Disconnected.

I have this watch. In my experience: the sim does not read active until you are away from your phone (I.e. Leaving the thing at home and just taking the watch, or turning the phone completely off.) I bought mine in-store prior to the pre-sale (thanks to an awesome young lady) and I've been learning on my own ever since. Idk if this helps, but I haven't seen much in the way of support for this piece of tech. Matter of fact, the main reason I got mine when I did was because I actually told the young lady about the impending pre-order in her own store! ??????

hulkbuster

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'd had pretty much the same experience you had the first time around. I returned the watch frustrated. I purchased the watch again but this time ordered online and it came activated correctly.

But to get it to work stand alone, i had to do a few more things to my phone (Galaxy Note 4). First i had to active the integrated messaging service by going to the Verizon website and turning it on. Then on my phone, i had to turn on HD Voice and video calling. After those services were active, i went back to the watch and starting the Calling Setup app. If the integrated messaging and HD Voice are active, it should complete through the setup screens, previously this never completed correctly. This seems to bind my current phone number to the watch. The watches phone number appears to be just be an identifier and can't actually be used (at least for me). If i disable bluetooth, both my watch and phone ring when i get a call to my phone number. If i turn off my phone, my watch will ring and get the call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci