Hi, I bought a second edition today straight out from att. I know some store won't sell it without activation but I was able to. I'm hoping to either use it with project fi(T-Mobile) or gophone (att prepaid) so I've tried 3 different sims today.

I tried first my att gophone tablet sim. Cannot make phone calls.

Next I tried my project fi data only sim which gave me the same results.

Finally I convinced myself that I need a phone sim and not a data sim so I popped my project fi phone plan card out of my Nexus 6 and got the sand results again. All three show data and have full bars but when trying to make a call I get an error message "cannot place can
    Call" although I get a different one with the two fi cards vs the att card.

Should I be using a phone or data card? What type of apn settings should I be looking for?
    04-07-2016 05:40 PM
    Well, first of all,

Why is Project Fi only available on the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6?
    These devices are the first smartphones that support our network of networks. They work with the Project Fi SIM card, which supports multiple cellular networks, and have a state-of-the-art cellular radio tuned to work across network types.

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-1
    So, no, you can't use your Project Fi SIM in your Urbane.

Second of all, of course you need a phone SIM and not a data only SIM. How do you propose to make phone calls with a data only SIM?
    04-07-2016 05:58 PM
    I was understanding that project fi worked on other devices like the Nexus 5 but only used T-Mobile and not sprint or WiFi calling.

I also thought it used data for phone calls kind of like how hangouts works. I didn't realize it actually had a radio in it for standard phone calls. I guess that answers my question.

Second thinking my buying it off contract now. I wonder if I can do an exchange without a return fee and rebuy it for 199 and sign it up on contract. I could add my Nexus 9 to a plan and get s $100 bill credit.
    04-07-2016 06:10 PM
    I would try the project fi APN settings from your phone on the watch. If you can make voice calls with the phone it should work on the watch.
    04-07-2016 06:21 PM
    I would try the project fi APN settings from your phone on the watch. If you can make voice calls with the phone it should work on the watch.
    I don't believe you can manually change the APN settings on the watch. At least I couldn't find a way with the original release. I have since updated but haven't tried to edit these settings.
    04-07-2016 06:35 PM
    Definitely cannot on mine either. Maybe I will give up on using it with LTE. I'd love to have the function but where I live sprint picks up the best followed by att. I can't switch my phone provider. I thought about doing a 2gb plan for my Nexus 9 and watch but that's $50/month before taxes and not sure if I can justify it or not. Wondering if project fi can forward my Google voice number to the watch if I do use att with it.
    04-07-2016 06:53 PM
    Yeah just checked on my watch and can't get to an edit option.

OP what APN settings pop up with your voice enabled fi SIM? Does it still show AT&T?
    04-07-2016 07:03 PM
    Some cheaper prepaid US sim cards don't include the correct APN settings for the device to use. I have the original release watch and when I was in Europe on vacation, it worked prefectly with a local data sim (obviously only data worked) and with a local prepaid voice/text/data sim.
    Through trial and error, we may get a list of working sims. mdw1995 had reported that Truphones sims work 100%, so that's what I currently use as well in my watch. Maybe prepaid Tmo and ATT sims would work as well.

MVNOs that rely on manual APN settings adjustment are the culprits here.
    04-07-2016 07:16 PM
    Has anyone tried using a Cricket SIM?
    04-07-2016 07:30 PM
    I use an att GoPhone sim in mine, with a pay as you go plan. APN settings work (cuz it's ATT). I have to call in to activate the data for 24hrs at a time ($1/100mb), but calls and txt work all the time ($2/day only on days I make calls).

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-07-2016 07:59 PM
    I lied. The project fi phone sim does work. It's using T-Mobile and I can make and receive calls. That doesn't prove a whole lot though other than proof of concept. I'm not paying another $20+/month for the watch.
    04-07-2016 09:08 PM
    So is there a reason why when I put a sim in it I can't get Bluetooth calling to work at all? I was kind of hoping to keep a project fi data sim in it just for data and GPS but whenever I do it either defaults to trying to use the sim to call or it will ask to enable Bluetooth calling but once I do it does nothing. It won't try to place a call.
    04-08-2016 07:18 AM
    So is there a reason why when I put a sim in it I can't get Bluetooth calling to work at all? I was kind of hoping to keep a project fi data sim in it just for data and GPS but whenever I do it either defaults to trying to use the sim to call or it will ask to enable Bluetooth calling but once I do it does nothing. It won't try to place a call.
    There is some settings you need to change on the watch first before you can enable BT calling from the phone. See here http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...ch-via-bt.html
    04-08-2016 09:14 AM
    tried running a t-Mobile Wearable SIM.
    They even provisioned the IMEI, but it would not connect to the network.
    As soon as I switched to their $3.00 pre-pay; texts and calls worked.
    I'll use it as an emergency phone. I'll leave cell off most of the time.
    04-08-2016 06:59 PM
    tried running a t-Mobile Wearable SIM.
    They even provisioned the IMEI, but it would not connect to the network.
    As soon as I switched to their $3.00 pre-pay; texts and calls worked.
    I'll use it as an emergency phone. I'll leave cell off most of the time.
    I'm assuming this $3 option has no data service?

N5x on Fi Network here
    04-08-2016 07:13 PM
    Yeah no data service. I only care about emergency phone operation if I'm on my motorcycle or out biking and I leave the phone at home.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    04-09-2016 01:55 PM
    Does truphone support LTE?
    04-10-2016 09:47 AM