Email and Text Apps on LG Urbane 2nd Ed LTE

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Ok, time for a new topic since we've answered many of the technical questions on the new LG Urbane 2nd Edition LTE. One of the most frustrating things about android wear for me is the lack of a full email and text client that allows for you to view (inbox) and respond to messages.

What applications are you all using/finding to work best with the new LG Urbane 2nd Edition LTE?

I am particularly interested in those that allow full message and inbox viewing and allow for voice reply. I have tried the following:

1) Wear Mail (by appfour) - this is the best so far, but it only works for Gmail. I like this because it is not intended to replace your email client on your phone, but it does add it's own app that connects to the gmail server and sends notifications directly to your watch. Best of all, it doesn't send email notifications to your phone (duplicates).

2) WearMail (by Maxlab Mobile) - this is similar to the app above, but works across almost all emails. It too allows for full message viewing, but does not add the applicaton on the watch. The largest drawback is that notications MUST arrive on the phone as well as the watch (a deal breaker for me). Since this is not an email app replacement on your phone, you're stuck with duplicate email notifications. Such a shame.

3) Cloudmagic - this is perhaps the best option if you are willing to replace your email app on your phone. It does a better job than the native (Samsung) email application in showing me email cards (rather than groups) and allowing you to repond to each one. The drawback is that you cannot see the whole email body ont he watch and the application only supports google calendar for now.

4) Nine (by 9Folders, Inc.) - this is another great email application for your phone that sends individual cards with full email body to your watch and allows you to replay by voice or short answer. The downside is that it only works with Microsoft Exchange, meaning that you'll need to have separate email clients for other emails. I could live with this if I could have this only run in the background, but like some of the others above, you get the notification on the phone as well (duplicate). Another dela breaker.

Ultimately, I think I will keep Wear Mail by appfour and hope they add support for MS exchange emails. If they do, they have the perfect email client for android wear. Let me know if there are others or text clients that work well!

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Nevermind, I found an APK mirror package that I downloaded that reinstated the exchange email option on the Gmail app for android. Yay!

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They never stopped support MS exchange account. That's a misunderstanding. They stopped Gmail server ActiveSync support but Gmail app itself has been capable of connect to exchange servers. Yes, I have my work place exchange server connected via Gmail. When you use Nexus phone, that's your only option to connect to any email account now. There is no more Email app. That now has to be supplied by OEM.

drjim

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been wondering whether this watch could receive Exchange email and you gave me the answer I wanted to hear: Yes!

A few related questions:

1. Do you install Nine on the watch, the phone (a Samsung GS6), or both?

2. What do you use for getting your Exchange calendar and contacts on your watch?

Much appreciated!

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I've been wondering whether this watch could receive Exchange email and you gave me the answer I wanted to hear: Yes!

A few related questions:

1. Do you install Nine on the watch, the phone (a Samsung GS6), or both?

2. What do you use for getting your Exchange calendar and contacts on your watch?

Much appreciated!

Djrim,

Your email app on your phone should suffice for receiving email cards on your watch. Basically, most things that show up in your drop down notifications can be pushed to the watch.

If you're looking for something more as I indicate above and only looking for exchange emails, then yes installing Nine on your phone will work.

What I did after talking with foxbat was I found a APK mirror from the nexus 5 (which allows exchange as part of the Gmail app) and I stalled that on my Samsung galaxy s6. It then let me add an exchange email and gmail app works great with our watches.

The problem with all of the apps that I mentioned is they send a notification to both my phone and the watch which I didn't want because I already had an email app on my phone.

I'm sticking with the Gmail app for now with added exchange service.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The Gmail app on my HTC M9 running Lollipop also supports exchange account out of box. Is there really a need to manually install the apk? However, I do find that I can't edit or update contacts to my outlook account setup as exchange account on Gmail app. I can do that on my Nexus 5 which runs Marshmallow.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
The Gmail app on my HTC M9 running Lollipop also supports exchange account out of box. Is there really a need to manually install the apk? However, I do find that I can't edit or update contacts to my outlook account setup as exchange account on Gmail app. I can do that on my Nexus 5 which runs Marshmallow.

Nope. Neither of my Samsung phones S5 and S6 which include the Gmail app allow for an exchange option. Installing the APK manually for exchange service did the trick.

drjim

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I just set up Exchange on the regular email app on my Samsung GS6, so you say that should push to my watch? That's all I want.

Any thoughts on the Exchange (i.e., Outlook) calendar and contacts. For example, if I have a calendar event notification on my phone, will it push to my watch? I use aCalendar app on my phone.

Thanks again.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If an app supports exchange account, it usually supports calendar and contacts as well. The Gmail app works best. But most OEM's Email app should work as well. An Android phone that can't sync exchange email, calendar and contacts is useless. So, all the major brands of Android out there have an email app that supports such. As long as your phone supports it, the watch has no problem displaying them. The difference is simply how can you interact with the emails on the watch. For example, Gmails allow you to view, reply or delete. My HTC Email app also allows view and reply but not delete.
The watch syncs with phone's contact and calendar store. As long as your contacts and calendar events show up there (e.g. you can use Android's Calendar app and Contacts/People app to view them), your watch will see it.

Remember, the watch does not go out and access emails directly on the internet. It gets them from your phone.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I tried BlueMail today on my phone. It would be better than gmail app for watch notifications but you only see the first 50 words or so of the emails, whereas you can read the entire email body with Gmail's watch notifications.

Otherwise BlueMail is one of the best mail apps I've tried... very customizable to the point you can select what options you want to have on the watch for email responses; i.e. reply, forward, star, delete, archive, etc. Very cool email app... would have deleted my gmail app if I could only read the entire email body. So close to perfection...

ekerbudeeeek

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I am running samsung default mail AND outlook, but turned off samsung notifications on the watch and outlook on the phone. It works perfectly. I prefer samsung mail app on the phone as I think it's better. Battery life is not worse than before. And I can read and reply to my outlook mail on the watch.

I use Wear calendar on the watch too, which allows me to read, edit and add calendar notifications too.

It all works as I would want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke