Android Wear and/or watch cranking through phone battery?

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Thought I would check with everyone else on this.

I noticed that having Android Wear on my phone (a GS5), and having the watch paired/connected via bluetooth, appears to really be cranking through the phone battery. I usually start off the day around 6 AM with 100% battery. Today, for example, maybe three hours later the phone is sitting at 75% battery. I would say this is approximately twice as fast (or faster) as prior to connecting the watch.

When I check "Battery", under settings, things like "Android System", "Android OS", "Google Services", "Bluetooth", and "Cell Standby" are largely at the top of the list. I don't recall having this issue prior to using an Android Wear watch.

In case anyone is wondering, I usually leave GPS/"Location" turned off on the phone, "NFC" turned on, "Wi-Fi" turned on sporadically (i.e., if I am near a network I can connect to) and "Bluetooth" turned on. I leave the phone in "Power saving mode", but not "Ultra power saving mode".

Not a huge deal, as I do have a spare battery that I can swap in, when needed; however, it would be nice if the rate of drain wasn't quite this fast.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It seems a common problem for Samsung phone owners ( saw a few posts about it). The watch connects to a phone using Bluetooth 4 LE (or Low Energy) mode which should have minimal impact on battery life. But if you are too far away from your phone, the LE may become HE when the phone tried very hard to maintain a connection. Samsung might have some software issues related to LE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith