airplane mode isn't really airplane mode

ekerbudeeeek

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
So I turned on airplane mode and I'm still getting notifications via bluetooth. Watch functions exactly as before and battery use has dropped to half! So can leave it in airplane unless you need cellular. That's a diamond in the rough...

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Phone says not connected to watch and no notification sent over when I set mine to airplane mode. It must be a glitch on your watch. Try reboot the watch and see what happens.

Worse, if you keep toggle airplane mode, your cellular radio status will be out of sync (when it says off, it could be actually on and drain battery).

The only use of airplane mode is when you are actually on an airplane where you need to turn off the phone. Without engaging the airplane mode, the watch will waste a lot of battery throughout the entire flight try to reach your phone.

ekerbudeeeek

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I checked it. Cellular is off and only BT is on, and drain is now 2.5% based on wear batt stats. and I am getting my messages from the phone.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When I turn on Airplane mode, there is no BT connection or any other connection to phone. If your phone still says connected to your watch in airplane mode, something is wrong with your watch.

Whenever I turn off Airplane mode, the cellular radio will be turned back on (using the wipe down status screen to tell) but the settings app still think the cell radio is off (I always turn off cell radio). This is a rather old bug that first appeared in my Nov edition of the watch.

ekerbudeeeek

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Well, i can separately turn off BT. Perhaps I have different sw to you. I am getting all my messages.If I try to make a call it says I need to switch off airplane mode. Im delighted about this, as most of the time I have the phone on me

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Definitely no way to turn off BT on my AT&T version. The airplane mode is the only way to turn off BT. No way to permanently turn off wifi either.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I can turn on BT separately after going into Airplane mode but not turn it off or disconnect it from my phone on my watch. I can only do that from the phone. Anyways, when I first turn on Airplane mode all connection from my phone is disconnected until I manually turn on BT. You should see a little airplane on your watch face when it's like that.

I personally don't use Airplane mode. I turn off cellular manually and leave everything else turn on.

Edit: I can turn off Wifi from my watch. Try a long press on the wifi icon where it says automatic and it should give you an option to turn it off.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wi-Fi will magically turn itself back on after a while.

Ok, I can replicate that. Turn on Airplane mode. Then open BT connection, tap on devices. It will ask if you want to turn on BT or not.

Like Json405, I manually turn on/off cellular radio. Doesn't seem to have any advantage using airplane mode especially when you really need the airplane mode and BT won't shut off, that will really drain your battery quickly.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you check the wifi settings again, it will show it is back to automatic mode. It doesn't mean it will connect all the time but it will if BT connection is broken.

StimulatorCam

May 20, 2015
Visit site
If you check the wifi settings again, it will show it is back to automatic mode
For me, it happens without rebooting. Can't figure out how it happens.

If you open up developer options under settings (have to go into About and click on Build Number x7 times first) there is an option to disable wifi auto mode which should probably prevent it from re-enabling on you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar