Google Fit Issues

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I use my Urbane a lot for running and general fitness stuff since I can do it without carrying my phone around. However, as of late, I've been having a lot of issues with Google Fit! Specifically, if I turn Fit Activity on for a run, go do the run, stop and look at it on my watch, it shows everything. Distance, pace, and whether or not the GPS is working properly or not, it's great! Also, my steps obviously show as well, but as soon as I get within range of my phone, it all gets overwritten with the Fit data on the phone! What is the deal, I can't figure it out!

So say I do 2000 steps on the run, my watch will say 2000. And then as soon as I go inside, my watch connects with BT, my steps will drop to like 130 (or whatever) cause my phone has just been sitting there while I was out running. Also, none of the Fit Activity data gets moved over to Fit on my phone.

Anybody else having this, or similar, issues? Thanks for any input.

Tab S2 LTE

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I gave up my Urbane after playing with it for a few months, so I haven't tested this specifically but I did notice the Google Fit issue you speak of.

Would you consider testing MapMyRun/MapMyFitness, Runtastic, Strava, Runkeeper, Endomondo, or Sporttracker? All of them seem to do what you want better than Fit...

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, weird... I do usually use Runkeeper, but it doesn't track distance and everything in standalone mode. So I have to use Ghostracer which does work when using the watch by itself, then import that data into Runkeeper. It works fine, but it's a little cumbersome and too much work. I was hoping that I could bypass all of that crap and just use Google Fit because it does work perfectly in standalone.

But now I've run into the issue I talked about above and I'm noticing that Google Fit isn't importing the Runkeeper data either. I've checked and rechecked and the two are linked so I don't know what the issue is...

Tab S2 LTE

StimulatorCam

May 20, 2015
Visit site
And then as soon as I go inside, my watch connects with BT, my steps will drop to like 130 (or whatever) cause my phone has just been sitting there while I was out running. Also, none of the Fit Activity data gets moved over to Fit on my phone.

Yes I had the exact same thing, where the phone data overwrites the watch data. I couldn't figure out a way to prevent that other that disabling Fit on my phone, but then you can't sync the data to your Google account either, so a lose-lose situation. I really don't care about daily steps so I've just being using other apps to track runs. I like the LG Health app because it works well, but again doesn't sync to anything to store my data long term. :(

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is just a slight delay. After some time, not sure exactly how long, usually around half hour or so, the new watch data will be merged in. I don't know why exactly there is such a delay for Google Fit.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Watch is not a connected device. It feeds the data directly to your Google account online. When I first setup my Google Fit on watch, it got stuck somehow. I have to factory reset the watch to get it work.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have never got it to merge, the watch data is completely lost and the phone data shows on the watch. When I open the Fit app on the phone it doesn't even show the watch as a 'connected device', no matter what I try.

Yeah, same problem for me. The phone just totally overwrites the watch. It's really not the end of the world, I'll just keep doing my work around by using three different apps to move the data. I was just hoping there was something I was missing... Does seem like a rather large oversight on Google's end though, especially since this is the app that is built to do exactly what we are asking it to do.

A few people have said that they keep Fit active on their phone, but disable the sensors or something, and then the watch is the only thing keeping track, has anybody tried that?

Tab S2 LTE

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I know that my Pebble tied into Google fit overwrites steps when it syncs. At first I thought it only did the current day, but now I also have empty past days when it was sitting unused in airplane mode for several days then gets connected synched. I still wear the Pebble some days but don't care that much about step counting so I have unconnected it from Google Fit. I recommend you see what stuff is linked and might be overwriting it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A few people have said that they keep Fit active on their phone, but disable the sensors or something, and then the watch is the only thing keeping track, has anybody tried that?

Tab S2 LTE

This sounds familiar. Specifically, Fit would have no way of knowing if both the phone and the watch were counting the same steps (for example, if you took the phone with you on a run or, as you walk about your office). So, merging data between the two devices would result in a lot of double-counting.

The solution chosen by Google was, if Fit is tracking the phone's sensors, then it ignores other devices and vice-versa.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, same problem for me. The phone just totally overwrites the watch. It's really not the end of the world, I'll just keep doing my work around by using three different apps to move the data. I was just hoping there was something I was missing... Does seem like a rather large oversight on Google's end though, especially since this is the app that is built to do exactly what we are asking it to do.

Tab S2 LTE
disable Activity Detection on the phone's Fit app. There is no sense to have both phone and watch counting steps.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I he used Google fit and have not experienced this problem. It synced to my phone just fine when returned home.

Posted via the Android Central App

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Gear Live (AW) and U2LTE, and I have the momentary occurrence where the phone data overwrites the watch but after a bit, it all gets sorted out.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the Gear Live (AW) and U2LTE, and I have the momentary occurrence where the phone data overwrites the watch but after a bit, it all gets sorted out.

So I turned off the sensors on the phone as stated above, went for a run, everything was great on my watch. And then when I got home, the phone overwrote the watch's data as per usual. But then about a half hour later, Fit on the phone updated itself and showed the run. Kinda weird that it took so long, but it did figure itself out.

Now the weird part is that Fit isn't importing any data from Runkeeper, which it used to do almost immediately after a run. I don't even see Runkeeper as an option in Fit to connect with anymore! However, in my Runkeeper app is shows that it is connected with Fit. Weird. So it must have been a recent update of Fit that is making all this stuff not work together. I guess I hope they'll put out a new update that makes it work again. But for now, I'm just going to ignore Fit and use Runkeeper.

Really wish it wasn't this complicated! LG Health is great, but there's no way (that I can find) to get that data off of the watch, so it's almost useless. I really want to be able to track my mileage and my progress over time...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG health data merges with fit data on the watch. So, if you track your activity using LG health on the watch, it will get transferred to the Google Fit the same way, e.g. half hour later. No idea why it takes so long for data to show up on Fit.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I turned off the sensors on the phone as stated above, went for a run, everything was great on my watch. And then when I got home, the phone overwrote the watch's data as per usual. But then about a half hour later, Fit on the phone updated itself and showed the run. Kinda weird that it took so long, but it did figure itself out.

Now the weird part is that Fit isn't importing any data from Runkeeper, which it used to do almost immediately after a run. I don't even see Runkeeper as an option in Fit to connect with anymore! However, in my Runkeeper app is shows that it is connected with Fit. Weird. So it must have been a recent update of Fit that is making all this stuff not work together. I guess I hope they'll put out a new update that makes it work again. But for now, I'm just going to ignore Fit and use Runkeeper.

Really wish it wasn't this complicated! LG Health is great, but there's no way (that I can find) to get that data off of the watch, so it's almost useless. I really want to be able to track my mileage and my progress over time...

I gotta tell you, I think of Fit as, at best, a work in process and, at worst, something that Google will eventually drop.

It's got a long, long, way to go before it becomes truly useful.

There are so many other products out there; I think that for overall utility, MapMyFitness is probably the best.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
LG health data merges with fit data on the watch. So, if you track your activity using LG health on the watch, it will get transferred to the Google Fit the same way, e.g. half hour later. No idea why it takes so long for data to show up on Fit.

Oh really!? Interesting... I'll have to give that at try. Never even thought that would be a thing. LG Health actually seems like a decent app, it tracks well, acquires gps quickly, and is easy to use. Just really sucks that you can't access any of the data!

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I gotta tell you, I think of Fit as, at best, a work in process and, at worst, something that Google will eventually drop.

It's got a long, long, way to go before it becomes truly useful.

There are so many other products out there; I think that for overall utility, MapMyFitness is probably the best.

Yeah, I kind of get that feeling too. Which is frustrating because it's baked into all the AW watches, and it's a native Google thing, so it seems like it should be good to go. I am really looking for a one fitness app to rule them all, and with AW it doesn't seem possible.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with Fit app on the watch? It can track virtually the same activities as LG Health and a few more (like push ups etc.).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with Fit app on the watch? It can track virtually the same activities as LG Health and a few more (like push ups etc.).

A minor detail, perhaps, but in the few months that I used an Urbane (the original one), the leather band got really grungy from perspiration (gym; 5 days a week, about 90 minutes per day).

I actually think the Urbane is way too nice a device to use for monitoring workouts.