Q's on data connection when multiple sources are available.

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Assume the watch is BT connected to a phone with data for all these scenarios. Which data source does the watch use for each scenario?

Q1. Suppose I'm home with wifi. Which data source?
a. from wifi
b. from BT connected phone
c. from watch SIM.

Q2. Suppose I'm out with no wifi. Will the data source be option b or c?

Q3. I think the answer to Q2 is b. In such case, the watch is using cellular for incoming calls but not using cellular for data. Will this save the battery compared with the stand alone case when watch is using cellular for data as well? I suppose yes because watch is piggybacking the phone.

Sorry for asking these. But I'm trying to learn how AW operates.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Whenever BT is available, that will be the data connection used. When BT is not available, it seems that the watch favor cellular data over wifi if both are enabled.

Yes, it saves some battery when BT connection is used instead of cellular connection but not much because the watch doesn't use that much data. The biggest sucker will still be leaving cellular radio on as the watch will try to maintain the radio communication to the tower at all times.
So, I would strongly recommend turn off cellular radio until you need it. Don't give out your watch number to your contacts. This is the best way to conserve battery.

ekerbudeeeek

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
the brilliant idea of switching seamlessly between bluetooth, wifi and data is also its biggest issue and I think why 'ok google' doesnt actually work half the time for me. if wifi is on, but reception is poor, its not aggressive enough in switching (proably to conserve battery). IMHO it needs to be cellular first (since this is most pervasive), followed by BT followed by the luxury of wifi. as I stated elsewhere, the hardware is let down by poor software, but it is still quite infant and I am sure it will improve over time

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Have had the watch since November and I don't get notifications and can't check weather if I turn off BT. I see my wifi network on watch, and watch appears to connect to wifi when I look at watch wifi setting, but I'm pretty sure sure wifi is a no-go on mine.

I've factory reset many times. Any suggestions?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
wifi seems to be iffy (mine works sometime and didn't work other times) and I really hope there is a way to turn it off permanently (there isn't any way).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae