I am confused.

This is my setup: Urbane 2 watch has Cricket Sim and works fine with calls and texts.I also receive email when away from my phone AS LONG AS MY PHONE HAS DATA PLAN. If I remove the sim from the phone and use just a Wi-Fi connection (phone without data plan) I don't receive email notification when away.

What I am trying to do is simply use ONLY THE WATCH as my phone but also receive email by leaving my phone at home connected to my Wi-Fi router.

Is this a simply setting in my router where I need to open a port?

Does this question make sense or do I need to re-word it?

Thanks in advance.
    07-08-2016 11:37 AM
    Sounds like your phone has problem getting emails via wifi. The watch could careless as long as both are connected to the Google cloud.
    07-08-2016 12:59 PM
    My phone does receive emails via Wi-Fi though? I just don't get them to the watch when I am not near the phone. For instance, phone is upstairs in my office connected to Wi-Fi. If I go downstairs (out of range of the phone) the little cloud with a line shows up on the watch and I don't get emails on the watch.

But if I have the phone connected to t-mobile and not connected to Wi-Fi, I can walk all over the city and get emails on the watch.

So with Wi-Fi and no t-mobile on phone, NO EMAIL on watch. With t-mobile and no Wi-Fi conenction I get email on watch.
    07-08-2016 01:30 PM
    Then the problem still is on your phone and wifi connection. I assume your watch has the data connection just fine? My phone is at home on wi-fi most of the time and never had any problem. So, there is no problem with WiFi vs cell data in general.
    07-08-2016 01:50 PM
    Yes, the watch has the Cricket SIM with unlimited voice, text and 2.5GB of data. Do you think I need to open something on my router at home?
    07-08-2016 02:01 PM
    Normally you don't need to. It's an outgoing connection and most home routers are wide open on outgoing connections. I don't think Google even publish what ports need to open in order to use cloud sync.
    07-08-2016 02:10 PM
    Foxbat. Thanks for all your help.

Let me ask you this. When your away from your phone are you connecting the watch to your Wi-Fi at work or wherever you are? Or are you using the LTE service on the watch?

Because re-reading the help pages in the Wear App on the phone it specifically is saying it will sync through cloud-sync through Wi-Fi. Nowhere does it mention LTE service will work.

Perhaps this is the issue? It maybe only works if BOTH devices are conencted through Wi-Fi networks and not cell networks.
    07-08-2016 03:24 PM
    Question - for both the watch and the phone.

Is the email app set up as POP3 or SMTP? (The POP3 app will normally delete [from the server] any emails it reads ]on the server. You can't mix the two.
    07-08-2016 03:39 PM
    Foxbat. Thanks for all your help.

Let me ask you this. When your away from your phone are you connecting the watch to your Wi-Fi at work or wherever you are? Or are you using the LTE service on the watch?

Because re-reading the help pages in the Wear App on the phone it specifically is saying it will sync through cloud-sync through Wi-Fi. Nowhere does it mention LTE service will work.

Perhaps this is the issue? It maybe only works if BOTH devices are conencted through Wi-Fi networks and not cell networks.
    Remember, before this watch, there is no AW watches support cell data connection. So the help doc may not help. When I use my watch standalone, I always use LTE or in most cases HSPA+. Never WiFi. In fact, I wish there is a way to permanently turn off WiFi on my watch but there isn't.
    07-08-2016 03:54 PM

Is the email app set up as POP3 or SMTP? (The POP3 app will normally delete [from the server] any emails it reads ]on the server. You can't mix the two.
    No one should use either. Gmail, Outlook, exchange service or IMAP4 is the minimum for modern smartphone.

Regardless, watch itself doesn't have the capability to retrieve emails by itself directly. It relies on host phone to retrieve it and then send notification to the watch.
    07-08-2016 03:56 PM

I am using a gmail account and the gmail app.
    07-08-2016 04:02 PM
    UPDATE:

I solved this problem by following the directions at this link.

https://productforums.google.com/for...E/ceFxO-GOCAAJ

Once I completed these steps the emails started coming to the watch without being near the phone. As long as I have good LTE / HSPA+ reception on the watch all works like it should. Perhaps this will help others who encounter this issue as I did.
    07-11-2016 10:07 AM