LG Urbane - Watch Review without a Phone Paired

jkassay

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Review of pure standalone android wear 2.0 on LG watch Urbane 2 LTE. (AT&T smartphone account sim installed)

My requirements: email, text messages, phone calls, step count calendar, and always on display. Watch only, NO phone.

Initial setup: LG urbane with no sim and paired to Galaxy s7

After initial setup I removed my AT&T sim from the phone and put it into the watch. Turned phone off, turned wifi and cell radios on and bluetooth off on the watch.

I downloaded Mail for android wear (standalone version) and google messages for my text messages. I also loaded some misc. apps like calculator, photos, calendar etc. All were loaded from the Play store app on the watch.

The good: All the apps worked great. I was able to read and reply to emails, texts, and answer/make phone calls. The google voice assistant dictation worked like a champ. I could quickly reply and send text messages easier than typing on the phone. Phone worked great, no one could tell I was talking on a watch.

The bad: Battery life. When at home I was connected primarily to WIFI and Cell seemed to be only partially active, just receiving texts and calls. Email and data functions seemed to be using WIFI. In this configuration I could get 10 to 12 hours of life. (few phone calls, email and texts)

When away from home I turned WIFI off and just left the cell radio on. I don’t live in a real strong LTE area and noticed several times it switched to HSPA and sometimes no signal (like in a store). When this happens the battery life tanks. Like 50% in two hours. The battery recharges quickly if you have access to the charger, but thats not convenient.

Yes, I understand the watch was supposed to be used as a paired setup with a phone relaying data and calls through the cloud. This was my experiment to use it standalone. Not complaining, just reporting my experience.

Anyway, thought this might help someone. I would like to hear from someone using the watch like me, but in a strong LTE area to see if it is practical to use the watch as a daily driver.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your unusual experience. This is my use case scenario also, so I'd like to ask you a few questions:
1. Beyond initial setup, are there any tasks that require connecting (via BT or remotely) to a phone?
2. Does the standalone calendar app sync with Google Calendar and allow inputing events from the watch?
3. Is there a standalone Hangouts app so that these messages can be initiated from the watch?

mofo124452

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your unusual experience. This is my use case scenario also, so I'd like to ask you a few questions:
1. Beyond initial setup, are there any tasks that require connecting (via BT or remotely) to a phone?
2. Does the standalone calendar app sync with Google Calendar and allow inputing events from the watch?
3. Is there a standalone Hangouts app so that these messages can be initiated from the watch?

mofo124452

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
Good Morning. It sounds like you received the Android Wear 2.0 software? I also have an urbane 2nd edition on at&t and I don't have that software yet. Are you able to confirm when you received? Maybe att just hasn't pushed to my region yet. Thank you!

jkassay

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
After initial setup the phone is not needed/connected. I turned bluetooth off and just use WIFI and Cellular on the watch. Be sure to use standalone apps loaded from the watch. I found apps for email, texts, photos, and calendar that work without the phone. During initial setup you connect with your google account so things like calendar, contacts are available. I don't use Hangouts so I can't comment. I found that the google messages app works great and keeps a copy of old texts on the watch. Some standalone apps require you to log into your google account from the phone one time (like photos, calendar) during install.

I should mention that I am using my smartphone sim in the watch. Not sure if one of the 10$ a month smartwatch sim would give the same results.

Also I have set the watch to 3G because of my limited LTE coverage, and my battery has been lasting longer, likely because its not always trying to connect to LTE.

jkassay

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I am using the AW2.0 Preview 4/5. Still waiting for the official AT&T release. Not sure if it will have any changes/improvements over the preview.