Review of pure standalone android wear 2.0 on LG watch Urbane 2 LTE. (AT&T smartphone account sim installed)

My requirements: email, text messages, phone calls, step count calendar, and always on display. Watch only, NO phone.

Initial setup: LG urbane with no sim and paired to Galaxy s7

After initial setup I removed my AT&T sim from the phone and put it into the watch. Turned phone off, turned wifi and cell radios on and bluetooth off on the watch.

I downloaded Mail for android wear (standalone version) and google messages for my text messages. I also loaded some misc. apps like calculator, photos, calendar etc. All were loaded from the Play store app on the watch.

The good: All the apps worked great. I was able to read and reply to emails, texts, and answer/make phone calls. The google voice assistant dictation worked like a champ. I could quickly reply and send text messages easier than typing on the phone. Phone worked great, no one could tell I was talking on a watch.

The bad: Battery life. When at home I was connected primarily to WIFI and Cell seemed to be only partially active, just receiving texts and calls. Email and data functions seemed to be using WIFI. In this configuration I could get 10 to 12 hours of life. (few phone calls, email and texts)

When away from home I turned WIFI off and just left the cell radio on. I don’t live in a real strong LTE area and noticed several times it switched to HSPA and sometimes no signal (like in a store). When this happens the battery life tanks. Like 50% in two hours. The battery recharges quickly if you have access to the charger, but thats not convenient.

Yes, I understand the watch was supposed to be used as a paired setup with a phone relaying data and calls through the cloud. This was my experiment to use it standalone. Not complaining, just reporting my experience.

Anyway, thought this might help someone. I would like to hear from someone using the watch like me, but in a strong LTE area to see if it is practical to use the watch as a daily driver.
    Aquila and afblangley like this.
    03-16-2017 12:31 PM
    Thanks for sharing your unusual experience. This is my use case scenario also, so I'd like to ask you a few questions:
    1. Beyond initial setup, are there any tasks that require connecting (via BT or remotely) to a phone?
    2. Does the standalone calendar app sync with Google Calendar and allow inputing events from the watch?
    3. Is there a standalone Hangouts app so that these messages can be initiated from the watch?
    03-18-2017 01:41 PM
    Thanks for sharing your unusual experience. This is my use case scenario also, so I'd like to ask you a few questions:
    1. Beyond initial setup, are there any tasks that require connecting (via BT or remotely) to a phone?
    2. Does the standalone calendar app sync with Google Calendar and allow inputing events from the watch?
    3. Is there a standalone Hangouts app so that these messages can be initiated from the watch?
    03-19-2017 05:37 AM
    Good Morning. It sounds like you received the Android Wear 2.0 software? I also have an urbane 2nd edition on at&t and I don't have that software yet. Are you able to confirm when you received? Maybe att just hasn't pushed to my region yet. Thank you!
    03-19-2017 05:39 AM
    After initial setup the phone is not needed/connected. I turned bluetooth off and just use WIFI and Cellular on the watch. Be sure to use standalone apps loaded from the watch. I found apps for email, texts, photos, and calendar that work without the phone. During initial setup you connect with your google account so things like calendar, contacts are available. I don't use Hangouts so I can't comment. I found that the google messages app works great and keeps a copy of old texts on the watch. Some standalone apps require you to log into your google account from the phone one time (like photos, calendar) during install.

I should mention that I am using my smartphone sim in the watch. Not sure if one of the 10$ a month smartwatch sim would give the same results.

Also I have set the watch to 3G because of my limited LTE coverage, and my battery has been lasting longer, likely because its not always trying to connect to LTE.
    03-19-2017 11:36 AM
    I am using the AW2.0 Preview 4/5. Still waiting for the official AT&T release. Not sure if it will have any changes/improvements over the preview.
    03-19-2017 11:38 AM