what's battery life like?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have only had the watch since last Friday; I would have said that I can get a solid 30-36 hours out of it but then something weird happened this morning...

I put the watch on the charger on my nightstand at about 9:30 PM last night. Somewhere around 2:30 - 3:30 AM I awakened for whatever reason and decided to put the watch back on my wrist, partly because I wanted to see if an alarm I had previously set would be able to wake me at 5:15 AM. So, two things: 1) the alarm triggered at 5:15 AM, but the watch did not vibrate as it should have (?), it just flashed the screen. I gave it 30 seconds or so to see if it would eventually begin to vibrate, which it didn't, and then cancelled the alarm by swiping it away. 2) Half an hour later I arrived at my gym and looked at the watch to see the low battery warning - 15% charge remaining. Clearly something was wrong / hung but I have no idea what. I have since recharged and we see how it goes today.

FWIW, the watch does charge quickly. I went from 15% to 100% in about an hour.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have only had the watch since last Friday; I would have said that I can get a solid 30-36 hours out of it but then something weird happened this morning...

I put the watch on the charger on my nightstand at about 9:30 PM last night. Somewhere around 2:30 - 3:30 AM I awakened for whatever reason and decided to put the watch back on my wrist, partly because I wanted to see if an alarm I had previously set would be able to wake me at 5:15 AM. So, two things: 1) the alarm triggered at 5:15 AM, but the watch did not vibrate as it should have (?), it just flashed the screen. I gave it 30 seconds or so to see if it would eventually begin to vibrate, which it didn't, and then cancelled the alarm by swiping it away. 2) Half an hour later I arrived at my gym and looked at the watch to see the low battery warning - 15% charge remaining. Clearly something was wrong / hung but I have no idea what. I have since recharged and we see how it goes today.

I did notice a huge drain on the battery today, took off the charger around 6 a.m. and watch is at 30% now at 1:30 p.m., I have the always on function off as well as wifi has been turned off. brightness is set on 3. I do get lots notification. Watch face is skymaster. I restart the watch once around 11 but still seeing a huge drain. Anyone has any idea?
FWIW, the watch does charge quickly. I went from 15% to 100% in about an hour.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was at 100% at 7:30 AM, currently at 73% with predicted "21 hrs left" according to the Android Wear app.

Watch face is this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.watch.richface.digital&token=0RjYXwU4, brightness is 4, always on is enabled, and the watchface is set to Full ambient=On which means that the entire face shows with all components (except for seconds) in black background and grey text when in ambient mode (as opposed to Full ambient=Off which displays only a simple 12:34 AM digital display in grey text on black background).

So, even doing everything wrong, I am still getting very respectable battery life.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was at 100% at 7:30 AM, currently at 73% with predicted "21 hrs left" according to the Android Wear app.

Watch face is this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.watch.richface.digital&token=S3G1eFif, brightness is 4, always on is enabled, and the watchface is set to Full ambient=On which means that the entire face shows with all components (except for seconds) in black background and grey text when in ambient mode (as opposed to Full ambient=Off which displays only a simple 12:34 AM digital display in grey text on black background).

So, even doing everything wrong, I am still getting very respectable battery life.

can you ballpark on how many notifications you get on a typical day?

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

busixb

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Been using mine for 4 days now paired to Nexus 6 on Verizon. Came from 360 as it felt half baked. TI OMAP was definitely holding it back. I felt it getting warm when working it hard(syncing data, changing watch faces). Battery can't hold a candle to the Urbane. I keep ambient mode on, WiFi enabled and connected mixed at work and home. I have brightness to 4 or 5 and get about 100-150 notifications a day. I don't reserve changing watch faces throughout the day at all. I do find changing them often works the watch harder but its hard not to tinker. I get 18-22 hrs if I run it moderate from full to empty. Usually around the 13 hr mark I'm at 35% but that will even carry you 5 hours.

I've owned the original G Watch, Pebble and Pebble Steel, Moto 360 and this is the best so far. Not without the quirks others have experienced but can be ironed out with future software. Mine has locked up twice necessitating a forced reboot. But all of the positives outweigh the cons.

Ordered a few NATO bands for it from Amazon so looking forward to swapping those out.

Last edited:

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Paired with a Nexus 5, screen off until notification or wrist flip.

Watch was taken off of charger around 10am, and put back on charger around 10pm. I was around 56% battery, with probably 30 notifications. It is also brand new, so I played around with the watch too.

After the first 5 or 6 hours, I felt that it was more novelty. Then it allowed me to catch a call I otherwise would have missed the vibration of the phone. Now I am really happy I pulled the trigger on it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I took my Urbane off the charger at 4:30 AM today; it is now (nearly) 4:00 PM and the watch is at 70% charge.

I think that is pretty darned good considering I have the screen set to "Always On" and have received at least 30 notifications today.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what's wrong with my watch now. Just did a factory reset and will see how it work tomorrow.

went off the charger at 7 a.m. and it's now 1 p.m. I have brightness set at 4, wifi on, always on and still have 73% batter left. Yesterday at this time I had like 30 % with always on turned off, no wifi and brightness set at 3. So I guess something was draining the battery and a factor reset fixed the issue.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
went off the charger at 7 a.m. and it's now 1 p.m. I have brightness set at 4, wifi on, always on and still have 73% batter left. Yesterday at this time I had like 30 % with always on turned off, no wifi and brightness set at 3. So I guess something was draining the battery and a factor reset fixed the issue.

I learned that about 3 months ago with another Android device. I do the same now whenever i set up a new phone as well. Seems to work well on all Android devices.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
ok, so the battery life was good all morning, in the afternoon I walk away for a meeting and left my phone in my office. the meeting lasted over an hour. When I looked my watch, I saw the notice that the android wear is not responding and it gave me the option to wait or just close. I closed it and when I check the battery I was at 12%! so first 6 hours when I had the phone on me, I burned 27% and in less than 2 hours with the phone not near by me the watch battery drained at least 50%. Anyone else experienced this issue? I know the simple thing is to keep the phone on me at all time but it shouldn't be like this. The watch has already been factory reset once.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is try disabling Cloud Sync. Android Wear app -> Settings -> Cloud sync.

From what I can tell, this kicks in whenever your phone and watch are too far apart for the Bluetooth connection to function. It turns on your watch's WiFi and your phone and watch then exchange info by passing it back and forth between the Cloud sync servers. I have no idea how much battery this might eat up but it might be worthwhile to test with Cloud sync both on and off.

Cho Shane

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my watch so I did a factory reset. So far so good. I also think you should restart your watch every few days

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Going to do a factory reset as mine has only lasted one day, just got it a few days ago. Charged to max just now and when checked on Android wear all it says 98% with 8hrs left

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay