Anyone returning theirs?

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The watch is pretty nice! The display is bright and sharp and the overall performance and blows away my moto 360. I love the android wear interface and the wrist gestures..

Here comes the but....

The deal breaker for me was no auto brightness that you found on the Moto 360. Even on the lowest brightness setting just moving my wrist a bit lit up a darkly lit room. With my mtoto 360 it would auto adjust, yeah it wasn't perfect but it did the trick most of the time. I couldn't believe how much it lit my car up when I was changing the track. It looked like I had a beacon coming from my car.

The moto 360 sits on my wrist a little bit better. I could feel the Urbane but it wasn't a put off.

The price is steep at 350 for first gen hardware. I was wishing for just a small bump even for ram.

I am glad for anyone that liked it..

I am going to stick with my moto 360 and sure wished the screen looked as nice.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, didn't think that would be such a bad thing. I'm sticking with the Moto360 as well since I'm in no hurry to pay for another watch, but that's a good point. If only the Moto had a better screen, still have auto brightness but no flat tire, and could last longer, it would be even more awesome.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I go back and forth. I have to decide between the Zenwatch and this one. One will have to go. I was listening to some reviewers on the watch and some question the overall practicalty, looks and functionality of the device. It seems that when you pay the $350, it comes with more expectations than a watch under $300.

My overall thoughts are:

I need to change the band if I keep it. Which band do I get? Should I get the Milanese band or a canvas band.
The battery life is great. The display in outdoors is somewhat limited.

In some cases, it even causes me to rethink the Moto 360 as well. The battery was less than perfect but the watch was awesome.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't consider the ZenWatch at all, but that's just personal preference (I think the ZenWatch is the ugliest of the bunch... OK, maybe the first LG one was uglier).

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow, didn't think that would be such a bad thing. I'm sticking with the Moto360 as well since I'm in no hurry to pay for another watch, but that's a good point. If only the Moto had a better screen, still have auto brightness but no flat tire, and could last longer, it would be even more awesome.

Do you think they could pull off auto brightness without a flat tire?? I hear rumors its still there but smaller. I also heard rumors that they got rid of it but the overall bezel is thicker. I'd rather have the auto brightness though

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They could if they hide it in the bezel. I mean, it's no easy feat, I admit, but it's possible. For LG it was just an oversight... they do have that extra bezel area around the screen, they could have easily added the sensor to one of the rectangular areas on top or bottom of the watch.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't consider the ZenWatch at all, but that's just personal preference (I think the ZenWatch is the ugliest of the bunch... OK, maybe the first LG one was uglier).

I think the best looking one was the Moto 360. The worst looking one was the first generation Pebble watch.

I just asked my wife which one she liked best and I had them both on. She opted for the Zenwatch but, she is also an Apple fan and wants the Apple watch.So, maybe that is the connection,,

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Try turning "tilt to wake" off.

I have the G Watch R, so same screen as the Urbane. I also had the 360 for a few days before returning it. With the GWR, since ambient mode actually keeps the screen on AND illuminated, I turned "tilt to wake" off. The screen is still easily visible unless I'm outside, and it's not randomly getting brighter with every random wrist flick. I just touch it when I need it brighter.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Do you think they could pull off auto brightness without a flat tire??

This is definitely possible, the Apple Watch does it. It had a light sensor embedded beneath the display so it is able to avoid a visible sensor hole. So unless Apple holds crazy patents for that type of sensor, there's probably no reason other than cost that LG couldn't use the same idea.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the best looking one was the Moto 360. The worst looking one was the first generation Pebble watch.

I just asked my wife which one she liked best and I had them both on. She opted for the Zenwatch but, she is also an Apple fan and wants the Apple watch.So, maybe that is the connection,,

Hahaha, yeah, probably... I've always thought the Apple Watch (which I also find fugly) looks a lot like the Zen Watch. I guess your wife confirms it :p

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely possible, the Apple Watch does it. It had a light sensor embedded beneath the display so it is able to avoid a visible sensor hole. So unless Apple holds crazy patents for that type of sensor, there's probably no reason other than cost that LG couldn't use the same idea.

That's what I had 'suggested' when the Moto360 revealed what the flat tire was. Didn't know if it was possible, but it made sense in my head that the sensor could have been beneath the screen and just account for the screen's own light with algorithms. I guess it was possible :p

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha, yeah, probably... I've always thought the Apple Watch (which I also find fugly) looks a lot like the Zen Watch. I guess your wife confirms it :p

The power of marketing i tell you. Only Apple can pull it off. My wife had one of the early forms of Android that were plagued by constant problems. So, its been hard to convince her otherwise.

synplex

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just double click your Urbane's crown (button) to put it in theater mode whenever your in a dark room. Super simple!
Also Triple click when your Outdoors for Sunlight Mode (Max brightness) :)

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Love this watch! Went from the Moto 360 to a fitbit surge (caused rash on skin) to the urbane. I plan on keeping it for awhile.

mkdll

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Went from the moto 360 to the Urbane and I'm loving it so far. Not as laggy as the moto and battery seems better too. For me it's by far the best android wear device.
I also find the Zenwatch ugly, but that's just my opinion.

artdeguzman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Got the Urbane for 299 when I got the LG G4 from VZW on launch day. I also have Note Edge paired with Gear S -- which is purely for exercising and outdoors due to built in Nike +, speakers and can leave phone behind.

Sent from VZW LG G4

joantbak

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
The deal breaker for me was no auto brightness that you found on the Moto 360. Even on the lowest brightness setting just moving my wrist a bit lit up a darkly lit room. With my mtoto 360 it would auto adjust, yeah it wasn't perfect but it did the trick most of the time. I couldn't believe how much it lit my car up when I was changing the track. It looked like I had a beacon coming from my car.

use Wear Mini Launcher which allows brightness of face to be dimmed more than default levels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz