Does Battery Last Longer Without Wi-Fi?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it will. Wi-Fi uses more power than BT. It won't be"night and day" different, but it does fake a difference. Plus, you're usually more in range of the same phone than the same network on a day to day basis.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it will. Wi-Fi uses more power than BT. It won't be"night and day" different, but it does fake a difference. Plus, you're usually more in range of the same phone than the same network on a day to day basis.
Interesting. I shall test this tomorrow.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Now, was that all the time within wifi range? You'd notice more if you were out and about, but yeah, difference isn't night and day unless it's a really crappy wifi connection

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I do notice, however, that when I use the watch to download apps and "do stuff" the battery drops like a rock!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's all about signal power, right? Bluetooth is VERY low power (which is why it can only connect within a few feet). WiFi needs more power so that it can go further to a router. But to reach a tower that might be miles away? You need way more power for that than the aforementioned.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In terms of battery life, yes. In terms of what you want to do and how you want to use your watch (especially if you paid so much extra for an LTE version), might not be 'optimal'. BT needs the phone around, and when it's not, it CAN go into a frenzy trying to reconnect, which can lead to a battery drop (think of a puppy being left alone, yapping for momma to come back). With WiFi, if your router is nearby, you have more flexibility of moving around without having to have the phone with you. With LTE, well, the point IS not to have the phone around, after all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12