Which would you choose

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking to move to some smart technology in my house. I'm looking primarily at smart switch and smart plugs that can effectively manage the appliances attached to them.

I got a TP-link switch and although it's usable, I'm not a happy camper. Their tech support FINALLY helped me to get the plug functioning but it was a mighty struggle. And, with all that I still can't do remote control, just local.

I'm looking for something that works without jumping through a bazillion hoops, or has decent tech support. Beyond that I'd like, in this order, the ability to manage the plug or switch remotely (without needing a new hub preferably - and if I do, make it clear in the description!); works with IFTTT - and can both trigger and be triggered by IFTTT. (The TP-link apparently can't do either.); works with google assistant.

Thanks!

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Wemo is your best starting point. It does everything you need and is fairly cheap. It's not always 100% reliable, however, there are ways around that as well. :)

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's the deal on smart home gear: there is always a controller. The question is: do you own it or just borrow it?

If you can't point to a thing you control that operates when the internet is severed, you are borrowing someone else's controller. There is nothing that ensures it will work the way it did before or that it will work at all.

If you are fine with that uncertainty, go wild. But be aware that at some point it won't be worth wemo or tplink's effort to maintain those servers.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you live in the UK Hive is great. It has plugs, window sensors, camera, thermostat and lights. It works with Alexa and IFTTT as well. I have hive plugs, thermostat and window sensor and use hue for my lights. I used to use wemo but found them a bit unreliable and the app unintuitive

Daveya

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
I have Nest thermo, Hue lights, Google Home in every room, Sonos on voice control and several smart plugs, plus a Ring door cam, plus two Nest cameras .

They are individually great products but the Google Home app is awful, far too complex and clashes with phone routines .

I can get routines to work but the whole thing is a fiddly mess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy