Linux 12/Ubuntu 11.10 using CAC Reader with Firefox to access DOD

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Posting this here as I just got mine working properly. Discovered how to edit the Mozilla Firefox add-on to work with Firefox 8 on a Linux Mint 12 build (which was previously not possible based on anything I have found). The Ubuntu and Linux wiki still list this as unsolved. It was disabled in the Ubuntu 11.04 build so this may work for that build as well. The newest DOD CAC software is built for the Firefox 7 build. It is necessary to edit the .xpi file. I will list the instructions below. Hopefully this site is popular enough for anyone with Linux and a government CAC looking for this information will be able to find it. :-[

First, go into Firefox -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Security Devices and remove and "CAC Module" or other 'Security Devices' that you have added manually. There should only be two root categories if you haven't added other things to it.

Second, download the newest version of this (you must right-click and 'save link as...' or it will attempt to install the add-on and fail): https://software.forge.mil/sf/frs/do/listReleases/projects.community_cac/frs.mozilla_addon (ironically, you need a computer with CAC access to download the file). Email it to yourself so that you can access it with your Linux computer. Right-click that file and change the extension to .zip. Right click the new zip file and click 'Extract here'. Double click and open the folder. Right-click install.rdf file and open with text editor. Toward the end of the file, look for this:
Code:
<!-- firefox -->
  <RDF:Description RDF:about="rdf:#$ZDG9A3"
                   em:id="{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}"
                   em:minVersion="1.5"
                   em:maxVersion="7.0.*" />
You need to change the
Code:
em:maxVersion="7.0.*"
to
Code:
em:maxVersion="9.0.*"
So essentially, change the version max from 7 to 9. Then you're covered for a couple of version. :p Save and close the file. Highlight all the files/folders in the folder now and right-click and compress the files to a .zip file. Once it's done right-click and rename again. Change the file extension to .xpi now. That step is done.

Third, close and reopen Mozilla Firefox. Go into Add-ons and once you click it there is an icon in the upper right that has a drop down box with options. Click that and click "Install Add-on from file". Choose the file that you edited. You may see an error. Ignore it. Restart Firefox. Insert CAC. Visit DOD with Linux and Firefox. :p Also can access government email through webmail using this process if you have it setup properly. ;) Hope this helps someone! Enjoy.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried this on WUBI and no-go . And I use Linux mostly , but to be able to login with my CAC since this is my main computer .

I have personally never used WUBI. My guess is that there is something a little different for your particular version.

Since this post, I have "updated" to a different version of Linux. I will eventually try it on the new os. I will post my results as always.

Can you post what you tried, what step you got to, and what errors you received (if any)? Also which version of the cac reader do you have?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Still have yet to give this a try on my current system. My apologies. I do hope to try it here in the near future.

I actually asked my field office for a replacement reader, and its Linux compatible. I was surprised it had out of box Linux support.

I would give you the brand name, but it's covered up with the department of defense tracking sticker.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
What? No way. I mean they're all "Linux compatible", its just a matter of getting it to interface...
Did you do anything to get it to work? Is it the one that's thin plastic, white/grey in color on top and black on the bottom? A USB cord coming out of it? Have you tried it? What was your experience?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums