Hello,

I want to get an Linux distrib on a old computer to learn how to use it, but I really don't know what distrib to choose. I heard about Ubuntu, a good choice for beginner or maybe Debian... What do you think ?
    09-24-2015 03:37 PM
    Hello,

I want to get an Linux distrib on a old computer to learn how to use it, but I really don't know what distrib to choose. I heard about Ubuntu, a good choice for beginner or maybe Debian... What do you think ?
    What are you computer specs? That would help narrow down your options, since there are so many different distributions of Linux.

Some popular ones are:
    Ubuntu
    Fedora
    Debian
    Puppy Linux
    Linux Mint (my personal favorite)
    09-28-2015 12:47 AM
    If the machine is significantly older, then a smaller-footprint distribution like Puppy would be the way to go.

If it's only 'last year's' model, then I'd recommend Mint

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    09-28-2015 02:16 PM
    I read about Puppy, I think I will try this one. Thanks!
    09-28-2015 07:07 PM
    ubuntu, with no doubt
    12-21-2017 02:56 PM
    I now use Linux as my main operating system. My recommendation would be to go with Fedora or Ubuntu.

Personally I use Fedora on a day to day basis. Fedora is typically much more up to date in terms of kernel and software. People generally say this means it will be more unstable, but I have not found this to be the case at all. I actually had more problems with Ubuntu.

The main advantage of Ubuntu (especially at the moment), is that they have LTS (Long Term Support) versions, and the latest Ubuntu version is an LTS version. This basically means you will have updates and support guaranteed for at least 5 years before needing to upgrade to a new version.

You can also check out my articles on why I think Linux is the way to go for most people here. Also if you do decide to go with Fedora I have a list of software and installs I use here.
    08-17-2018 05:56 AM
    BearDroid, I have advice: "TestSpecimen" has a good comment with Fedora being fully up-do-date. But there is a better one, for being both current and having a great community. Take a good look at arch - https://www.archlinux.org/. It's both lightweight and a "rolling release" distribution. Fedora, in contrast, goes through "Releases" and pulls Support on old "Versions" pretty rapidly.

I personally use OpenSuse "Tumbleweed" - another rolling release. But it's less popular than arch, also more complex and "heavy" in technical ways. The Arch community is way bigger, and a bit more "more friendly" with less experienced users. I prefer both of these over Fedora.
    10-27-2018 11:33 PM