Sharing Market apps with family

surfmly29

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I know this has been asked many different ways, but my searching has not found a recent thread with good info.

It is the classic situation:
I have a gmail/google account that I use for my Android devices (1 phone, 2 tabs). It works just fine when I am the owner/user of these as my gmail account can be used as the primary account and all is well. However, my oldest son has reached the age where he is going to have an Android phone and would like to be able to share purchased apps with his phone.

I am not looking to steal anything from google, I am just trying to do the same thing we do on our family's iOS devices (iTunes account on PC's, iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch). Apple allows up to 5 devices (I think it is 5) using the same Apple Store ID, so when my daughter got her iPod Touch, we were able to have many of the games she enjoys load onto it for her use.

Doesn't appear google has come up with anything easy like this, so am hoping to hear what you all have come up with (if anything). Note, all my Android devices are rooted, and I would plan to root my son's as well. We don't have a huge amount of paid apps, just the standard tools for rooted phones and a few games, but in general would like to find a way to make this happen (sharing of apps).

I have heard of the 'newer' market allowing a choice to be made in the Market to buy/download an app, but I have never seen this option. I only have one gmail acct setup on my phone/tabs so maybe that is why, not sure, but if this is the way to go (i.e. my son uses my gmail account in the market, but his gmail account will be primary for email, etc) let me know. I can't allow my gmail email to show up on his phone as well which may be an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts. Sorry if I missed any recent threads on this, searched for 15 mins and didn't find any recent ones with an answer.

surfmly29

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

Classic.... all my searching in the forums (and straight google) of course missed this. Thanks for the quick reply.

So it does sound like using the multiple accounts option in the Market (and other places) is the way to do this. Essentially the 2nd option in the article linked above.

Again, appreciate the pointer to the article!! Hopefully this thread will now help others searching for the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888