Google play update even though app purchased through Amazon?

Glenuendo

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Google keeps telling me there is an update for an app that I purchased through the Amazon Market. I then go to Amazon where it says there is no update. Here's the question, if I choose to update the app, will it screw the functionality of the app up?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't know what will happen. Worst case situation if it does bork something you can just uninstall the app and reinstall it and start over.

Something I do know is apps we obtain from places like GetJar or Amazon don't always work hand in hand with the same app offered from Google/Play Store directly. So when it comes to updates and things of that nature there maybe some problems getting the update other than where you originally obtained the app from.

Basically in your situation if Google Play Store is telling you there is an update that maybe true, but since you got the app from Amazon until Amazon updates the application you may not be able to get the most recent update.

Best of luck, let us know how things work out.

Reactions: Glenuendo

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Google Play will say it needs to update your app(s) because it sees all your installed apps, but if you try to update an app that wasn't from the Google play store it won't actually work. This is because when you download an app from the android market/Google play store it creates a market link specifically for that app so you can update it and redownload it.

Reactions: Glenuendo

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
that's what i'd do....i had the "free app" version of the ad-free Angry Birds Rio...i updated via Play store and it overwrote it and voila...I had ads. so i uninstalled, went back to amazon and re-installed and when the belated update hits Amazon, i'll update.

RocknSteve

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
What I do to fix the problem when it occurs is use Titanium Backup and destroy the app's market link. However, I'm almost positive you have to have your phone rooted in order to use it (it's been so long I don't remember lol). Hope this helps though!

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me. I got the stupid "Stupid Zombies" game last year when it was offered free on Amazon, but uninstalled it probably a whole year ago. When Google Play started allowing us to update via Google Play on the PC, it's showing this game needs an update. I do not have the game installed anymore! I tried both the update and uninstall links, but neither worked. I go into Amazon because it's telling me I have one app to update, but when I open the updates section, there is nothing there. I even went so far as to reinstall the game then uninstall it again...but this is still happening. How do I get rid of all this? Is there some remnant of the game on my system that I need to delete?