Can you use Google Prepaid card with the Play Store?

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy Nexus from Google last Wednesday that had Google Wallet installed. I activated the Google prepaid card and got the free $10 added.

Is it possible to use the Google prepaid card to buy items from the Google Play store?

c_yoder

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Since no one had responded yet, I went ahead and called Wallet support, which transferred me to the Money Network mobile purchases team (or whatever), and they confirmed that the Google Prepaid Card cannot be used for Google Play purchases.

I didn't ask specifics, so maybe she was only referring to this preloaded cash that Google provided, but looking at my account (only the preloaded Prepaid Card; no additional cards tied to the account), she determined that I couldn't use it to buy apps. I assume there must be some way you can use the Google Prepaid Card to make purchases from the store; otherwise, anyone without a Citi Mastercard or direct carrier billing would be out of luck, no? In any event, I was told that I couldn't.

Reactions: MooPenguin32

c_yoder

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually think I'm just misunderstanding the Google Wallet terms, and maybe the "Citi Mastercard only" thing just applies to Tap-and-Pay, since the Wallet site and the Play Store give you the option of adding other credit cards. So it looks like you can use a credit card to make a Store purchase, but yeah, Google Prepaid Card sounds like a no-go.