Hi everyone, I'm new to Android Central Forums; and was hoping that someone can answer what may be two really simple (and stupid!) questions, I've done a search on the forums and couldn't find the answer and was hoping someone here with more experience of Android Apps may be able to answer

When you upgrade an application which has been downloaded from Google Play, is the application (.apk) removed from your device and then a full new .apk file installed, or is there some method of just upgrading the indivudual aspects of the application that need upgrading within the .apk?

Also if the apk file is fully removed how are using settings kept persistantly for an application, does that mean the back-end database for the app on the phone/tablet is persistant?

Thanks

Peter
    03-28-2013 04:19 AM
    Hi everyone, I'm new to Android Central Forums; and was hoping that someone can answer what may be two really simple (and stupid!) questions, I've done a search on the forums and couldn't find the answer and was hoping someone here with more experience of Android Apps may be able to answer

When you upgrade an application which has been downloaded from Google Play, is the application (.apk) removed from your device and then a full new .apk file installed, or is there some method of just upgrading the indivudual aspects of the application that need upgrading within the .apk?

Also if the apk file is fully removed how are using settings kept persistantly for an application, does that mean the back-end database for the app on the phone/tablet is persistant?

Thanks

Peter

When upgrading an app, only parts which needed upgrading are upgraded. It's the same with when apl get updates. Settings within the app remain the same.
    03-28-2013 08:30 AM