Possible scam alert!

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Just because they could sue, doesn't mean they would get anywhere. Being accused of being a scammer in here doesn't cause anyone irreparable harm. All you have to do is send the crap someone paid for and quit being a sh**bag and you're in the clear.

You are true, but then ac has cost for legal defense regardless. Don't think that's how they want to spend their money. :sly:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
And maybe Corey isn't the right person to mod this forum.
Okay smart guy - what the hell would do you expect me to do about this?

1. randygop is alleging that boatman11 scammed him.
  2. There are zero posts between boatman11 and randygop that I can reference.
  3. This was a cash transaction that was proxied through PayPal, NOT us.
  4. pappy53's entire post was based on assumptions that I couldn't conclusively make decisions on.
And now it's my responsibility to go racing after this person that's only logged in from a phone with an IP address shared by thousands of others? Get real.

I've put very strict restrictions in place for post requirements in this forum, and I've been very specific in the rules & guidelines on both seller and buyer conduct.

AND A WORD OF ADVICE: DON'T HAND SOMEBODY ON THE INTERNET CASH!!!

That said, I sent him this yesterday, and this has been his response.
boatman11 said:
Cory Streater said:
boatman11 said:
Cory Streater said:
Please respond to this allegation within 8 hours: http://forums.androidcentral.com/marketplace/220099-possible-scam-alert.html#post2276651

Thanks,

Cory Streater
Forums Administrator
What would you like? Usps shows item shipped, what more can I do?

Reply to the thread I sent you, and send me a tracking number. What day did you send it out? It's been over a week since you marked it as closed.
As soon as I get home from work.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Glad I read this, because I was interested in getting that Razr M off of him...which he was offering at what I thought was an unusually low price

willistheyounger

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Just because they could sue, doesn't mean they would get anywhere. Being accused of being a scammer in here doesn't cause anyone irreparable harm. All you have to do is send the crap someone paid for and quit being a sh**bag and you're in the clear.

agreed

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Why hasn't he (they) been on here to defend himself? I don't understand. And according to RandyGOP, the USPS is not showing item shipped, and boatman said he would refund his money. But he won't respond to his e-mails, and now he tells Corey that USPS showed item shipped. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.
BTW, I don't blame Corey for doubting me, but now I think that deep down in his heart, he knows now that I am correct in my suspicions.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't blame Corey for doubting me, but now I think that deep down in his heart, he knows now that I am correct in my suspicions.

Just to be clear, I never predicted nor pretended that this person didn't deserve your suspicious eye.

What I've been responding to, are the repeated statements that AC should be held accountable and take action against these individuals. These are unreasonable expectations, considering the tools/resources we have available at our disposal.

I am losing faith that he is going to live up to his end of the bargin, so the best I can offer up is a perma ban of his account. Doing so, will surely end the possibility of him replying to anyone here, but you want action and that's the action I can offer.

I've been tempted to close this forum permanently. It is not the primary focus of the forum and has only been put in place as a traditional outlet that members expect from forums. However, there are better alternatives, such as eBay and Amazon where buyer protection is part of their business model.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay smart guy - what the hell would do you expect me to do about this?
Ummm... this is what I'm talking about...

If you felt like looking into it and all those names came back to ip's from a cell company just say that. Or, if there is nothing you can do just say that. Its clearly stated in the rules anyway. Either way, be indifferent. People are human and are sometimes going to exercise poor judgment, it's a fact of life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Keep pointing the finger at AC and guess what? Bye bye classifieds.

Don't ever send Paypal gift. If they won't let you kick in a few $$ to cover their fees, run!!

Classifieds are like Craigslist. The ultimate responsibility to not get scammed belongs to you, the buyer.

killthedope

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Boatman wanted me to send money thru gift only and refused even after I agreed to pay fee. Glad that I din't deal with him.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Android Central Forums

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
What I've been responding to, are the repeated statements that AC should be held accountable and take action against these individuals. These are unreasonable expectations, considering the tools/resources we have available at our disposal.

Just for me to be clear, I don't expect AC to be accountable. Members should make common sense decisions, and not send Paypal gift unless they absolutely trust the seller. The only ones that I trust are Wildo6882, mbar9607, and blackjaguar25. There may be someone else, but these are all that come to mind. I did the Paypal gift a while back, and this same scammer got me. That is why I wanted to point him out when I put 2 and 2 together.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Corey you are making assumptions that he is not guilty based on info that u looked up for "hours" no valadility in that at all so stop making assumptions your a moderator not a jailhouse lawyer defending the guy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Corey you are making assumptions that he is not guilty based on info that u looked up for "hours" no valadility in that at all so stop making assumptions your a moderator not a jailhouse lawyer defending the guy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

You guys REALLY need to let it go. Keep it up, and there won't be Marketplace forum at all.

It's a shame that people get scammed, but it happens. People this day and age are still trusting a faceless user over the Internet with an insecure payment type, knowing full well that it is AT YOUR OWN RISK (as is plainly spelled out in the pinned forum rules at the top of the page), then getting pissed they aren't doing anything about getting your money back? When this has already happened multiple times in this same forum?

And beating on the guy that runs the Android Central Forums (and has a lot more information about the forums then we do) probably isn't to the way go.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Corey you are making assumptions that he is not guilty
Someday, you should take the time to carefully read what I wrote & when you realize I wasn't defending nor making presumptions about his innocence, I'd appreciate an apology. If that's what you took away from my post, then you totally missed my entire point. Also, I believe this is your post.

That aside, I have banned boatman11 since he has stopped responding to me. His ban message (the popup he will see if he logs in again) asks that he contact me to resolve this issue. As far as connecting him with any other member based on IP address, (which is all I have to go on) I'd be banning over 100 people -- myself included.

With randygop's permission, I've looked at all PM exchanges between both he and boatman11. I cannot find any PM's:

1. Where they shook hands/finalized a deal.
  2. Where they exchanged email addresses (actually I can't even find a PM where boatman11 gave him his).
  3. Where boatman11 gave randy his PayPal email information.
And like I said before, there wasn't even a public offer from Randy.

Guys, this is the kind of information that's sort of important to start adding things up.

Also, I haven't heard from anyone regarding the RAZR M nor the iPad. Did anyone buy either of these items?

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Someday, you should take the time to carefully read what I wrote & when you realize I wasn't defending nor making presumptions about his innocence, I'd appreciate an apology. If that's what you took away from my post, then you totally missed my entire point. Also, I believe this is your post.

That aside, I have banned boatman11 since he has stopped responding to me. His ban message (the popup he will see if he logs in again) asks that he contact me to resolve this issue. As far as connecting him with any other member based on IP address, (which is all I have to go on) I'd be banning over 100 people -- myself included.

With randygop's permission, I've looked at all PM exchanges between both he and boatman11. I cannot find any PM's:

1. Where they shook hands/finalized a deal.
  2. Where they exchanged email addresses (actually I can't even find a PM where boatman11 gave him his).
  3. Where boatman11 gave randy his PayPal email information.
And like I said before, there wasn't even a public offer from Randy.

Guys, this is the kind of information that's sort of important to start adding things up.

Also, I haven't heard from anyone regarding the RAZR M nor the iPad. Did anyone buy either of these items?

For the M: I asked him if he could ship before I paid, since I am a trusted member. I even told him I would pay $400, $50 higher than his asking price. He kept backing out for different reasons, even though initially he said it would be fine. I confirmed this to Pappy, who had some great detective skills.

Guys, we shouldn't be getting mad at Corey. He's doing exactly what he should be doing - not jumping to conclusions. People are getting mad at him for their own mistakes. Treat your money online just like you would treat it in real life - carefully. I want this Marketplace to stay around, because I really do trust some members and I can't wait to trade with them again. So be responsible. Thanks again Corey and Pappy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RandyGOP#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cory, thanks for looking into this. I don't at all blame AC for me being a sucker. Looking back, the fact he basically guessed my email address to finalize the "deal" on email rather than on here should have been my first sign.

I don't expect anything from AC and as I said AMEX refunded me, I just wanted to make sure others hopefully wouldn't get scammed.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Caveat Emptor! If it sounds too good to be true it probably is! And unless you implicitly trust someone and are willing to lose your money, do NOT paypal gift you have no buyer protection.

roaztb33f

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm this also. I attempted to purchase that White S3 from him/her and they insisted that I pay via PayPal Gift. The real dead give away was when I resorted to looking on eBay I noticed that they had hijacked someone else's photos. I didn't want to blow the whistle on them, as I am a new member and all. But I'm glad someone has pointed this out. Kudos!