I think I will see that this is a really dumb question after I get your replies

I bought two Evos directly from Sprint phone telesales. I'm using one and very happy with it

The second is still unopened, new in box, and unactivated. I bought it with a contract. I'm planning to sell it on eBay, but I'm clueless on the contract rules for a buyer to buy it.

More q's: What's a clear ESN? For example, here is an eBay auction that says "Clean ESN": HTC EVO 4G Sprint Factory Sealed New NIB no contract - eBay (item 250678227017 end time Aug-05-10 18:23:12 PDT) (not spam...completed auction)?

And what's a bad ESN like here: BRAND NEW HTC EVO 4G FOR SPRINT BAD ESN - eBay (item 180541249687 end time Aug-04-10 19:49:48 PDT) (not spam...completed auction)?

Thank you
    08-05-2010 10:41 PM
    Just say "the phone is off the hook!!"

Hah jk. The phone pretty much speaks for itself. When talking about the phones specs you want to sound very enthusiastic! You trying to make a sale so you want the customer to be excited too. Be very descriptive with the condition of the phone. When you say it is new, is it new in the box? For example have the contents been open? what exactly is included, eg. accessories, original box, materials, charger, etc. Has the plastic screen guard been removed?

A lot of people are picky and new has different meanings when selling electronics. For example the phone can be completely new and unused, but some people are real anal if the box has been opened or if one of the bags inside the box is open. I'm not sayin everyone is like that but you'll run into some people that are.

As for the clean esn, i believe that is in regards to if the phone was flashed to say metro pc, criket or another phone provider. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Overall just be really detailed with everything about the phone, contents and package. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    08-05-2010 10:51 PM
    A clear esn means the phone can be activated by a carrier (ie Sprint) other than that just list and sell. Word of caution if some one ask for the esn be careful. There are some people that will use it to somehow activate other phosnes. Not sure how they do this just know it can be done from buying and selling phones on eBay good luck
    Leafgreen likes this.
    08-05-2010 10:54 PM
    put all the top apps on the evo and sell it all suped up... put slingbox, orb, at bat, log me in, and heck let the buyer pick what they want... oh and dont forget docs to go
    08-05-2010 10:57 PM
    08-05-2010 10:58 PM
    JERAVICIOUS and everyone else: nooo I don't need advice about the physical description. I said it was New in Box. I need to know...what I asked :\

put all the top apps on the evo and sell it all suped up... put slingbox, orb, at bat, log me in, and heck let the buyer pick what they want... oh and dont forget docs to go
    NO! It's worth lots more NIB rather than opened and messed with as you suggest.
    08-05-2010 11:05 PM
    Keep it unopened. Look at other EVOs on eBay to give you an idea of what to post and ad as many pictures as possible. Pix of the box, etc. State some warranty, 14 day money back if deffective etc...
    08-05-2010 11:08 PM
    lol, an EVO sells itself.
    08-05-2010 11:11 PM
    Best bet is to call Sprint, and ask them if you sell the phone on eBay, if that person will be able to activate it. If so, you've got a clean ESN. It's pretty likely if you bought the phone, and then switched back to another one, the ESN is good. It's a good idea to check first though.
    08-05-2010 11:24 PM
    People aren't randomly buying cell phones out there. They know what they're looking at already. No need to be detailed. Just make sure to mention that it is NIB (New In Box) and the ESN is clear (stolen and lost phones have their ESN blocked from re-activation).
    08-06-2010 12:44 AM
    There's a person from Hawaii looking for an Evo in one the forums. Hook them up.
    08-06-2010 02:24 AM
    im looking for an evo in cali..
    08-06-2010 03:02 AM
    I think the real problem you're going to face is that you're under contract. Assuming you got the discount and rebate for signing a contract, Sprint is going to want its pound of flesh (early termination fee) when you cancel the contract. Once the contract is canceled, I don't think there will be any problem with someone activating it.

You'll have to search google, but there are some web sites dedicated to allowing people to sell and / or take over existing contracts. That might be useful. Or perhaps call Sprint and ask them if you can have someone else take over the phone and contract without penalty.
    08-06-2010 09:02 AM
    Im lost. Do you have 2 lines with sprint or one ?

Either way, sprints going to want that extra $$ from you one way or another

You cant just buy a phone on new contract, cancel the contract within 30days and expect to have that phone at the discounted price. their going to charge you for the rest of the full price of the phone.
    08-07-2010 04:19 PM
    A clean ESN means someone can take the phone to Sprint and activate it on their account. If you purchased the phone at a discount it is attached to your account then nobody else will able to activate it through Sprint. That is a bad ESN which it sounds like you have. Sprint gives customers the discount on the promise that they will activate and use the phone for 2 years which is where Sprint makes their money. If people were able to get the discount and then sell it at full price Sprint would go broke pretty quick. Best advice would be to contact Sprint. Ask them if it can be disconnected from your account. Otherwise you are just shafting the poor guy who buys it then isn't able to activate it. (It happened to me (If you want to remain annonymous with Sprint, call them and say you bought the phone from a friend and want to know if it has a clean ESN)
    08-08-2010 12:40 AM
    First, consider selling locally as many people are reluctant to buy CDMA phones from eBay unless the seller has a very high rating with lots of prior CDMA phone sales due to the complexity of activating CDMA phones; aka getting a clean and clear ESN. Your phone may be 100% legit but buyers will wonder without a lot of prior sales.

Either way, take a LOT of very detailed photos from every angle, close ups, shots of the 'total package', etc. Make sure none are blurry. IMO, the cost to have more photos posted on eBay pays for itself 100x over.

Also, be clear it is NIB (if it is), and that you will provide phone support for the buyer if there are any questions activating it and offer a MBG is the phone can't be activated-but only if it is the phone's fault. You don't want people returning your phone just because they can't pass the Sprint credit check, etc.
    08-08-2010 08:16 AM