Nexus 6 unlocked (near mint)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
So I guess an offer of $100 is out of the question?

I'm sorry but when cracked, dead Nexus 6 devices sell on eBay for $120 and cracked living devices go for around $150, I'd feel like I'm cheating myself to go that low.

So I'd have to pass, but thanks anyway

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, how many owners there have been is not a condition that should cause the device to have less value. The device being used+whatever condition it is in are what should dictate the value. Me being the third owner does not matter. It's used and that along is worth deducting some from what it would cost brand new. Its IMHO silly to deduct some for how many people have owned the device.

Secondly, it also seems a bit silly for me to deduct what Motorola may or may not charge for shipping when the buyer may not even be interested in sending the device to Motorola. Not to mention the fact they don't charge for that anyway. They send you a FedEx label free of charge to send it to them. So, so far with all due respect those two last deductions amounting to 30% are pretty much irrelevant.

Lastly the damage and used deduction you made total 60% percent to subtract from the $300. That means that a used and damaged Nexus 6 according to your math is worth $120. That is generally lower than what cracked Nexus 6 devices go for on eBay. I have no idea how you determined these percentages. Dead and cracked nexus 6's tend to go for around $100, cracked working ones tend to go for $150 and used working ones in fair to good condition tend to go for around $230.

This device is in near mint condition, includes a case, and its two issues are severely minor in contrast to the devices that correspond with the price range you have suggested. Not to mention the buyer has the liberty to send this in to Motorola and for $0-$25 make this device brand new. A speck of camera dust and navigation buttons leaving very faint impressions over a blank white background (which will rarely ever be encountered) are not IMO worth deducting 40%.
It's damaged. It is dishonest to claim that it is in near mint condition due to the damage. Swappa wouldn't let this be sold other than in the Boneyard.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but when cracked, dead Nexus 6 devices sell on eBay for $120 and cracked living devices go for around $150, I'd feel like I'm cheating myself to go that low.

So I'd have to pass, but thanks anyway

And brand new ones keep popping up for about $215 on slickdeals so what is the point you are trying to make...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My fault, I meant MAX of $30. I actually would prefer to offer $20 shipping included.

When buying devices there is an immediate deduction for each of the following:

The shrink wrap was damaged or removed
The box was opened
The plastic was taken off the device
The device was powered on
The device was used
The device was rooted
The device was dropped
The device had a screen protector installed
The device was plugged in to a charging or data cable
The device was resold
The device was reported as damaged, lost or stolen

A couple of those could happen and have it still be considered mint, but once it has gone through a power cycle that's out the window IMO.

After that, any damage sustained would severely depreciate the value as would the passing of time from the initial release.

So current value of $300 minus all the things in that list that detract from its nearness to newness would severely reduce the offer. The percents above are how I would quantify that distance from new in box.

If you can get more, then by all means do so :). I'm not going to stop you, but I'd be willing to pay $20-30.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
It's damaged. It is dishonest to claim that it is in near mint condition due to the damage. Swappa wouldn't let this be sold other than in the Boneyard.

When saying it is near mint, I am referring to the cosmetic condition. I completely understand it is damaged, but the damage is not as severe to where it is worth $30. Especially when cracked Nexus 6 devices go for around $150.

There was never any question as to whether or not this device had an issue. The functional condition of the device has been expressed explicitly throughout the thread. So I don't quite see where there has been any dishonesty.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
When saying it is near mint, I am referring to the cosmetic condition. I completely understand it is damaged, but the damage is not as severe to where it is worth $30. Especially when cracked Nexus 6 devices go for around $150.

There was never any question as to whether or not this device had an issue. The functional condition of the device has been expressed explicitly throughout the thread. So I don't quite see where there has been any dishonesty.
The screen burn-in is a cosmetic defect. That in itself makes the device nowhere close to near mint.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Your best bet would be to do the warranty exchange, get the new one (or refurbished), don't open it and sell that. That'd get rid of most of the perceived issues.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
And brand new ones keep popping up for about $215 on slickdeals so what is the point you are trying to make...

My point is that the things that are wrong with this device do not penetrate it's value that much. If cracked ones go for around $150 and new ones go for $215. Why would I sell a Nexus 6 with a speck of camera dust and nav button shadow for below $150? A fair price would be something inbetween the two above listed prices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My point is that the things that are wrong with this device do not penetrate it's value that much. If cracked ones go for around $150 and new ones go for $215. Why would I sell a Nexus 6 with a speck of camera dust and nav button shadow for below $150? A fair price would be something inbetween the two above listed prices.
If they're new for $215 from a vendor, I'd be willing to offer $200 for new in unopened box from a third party or $100 for refurbished in unopened box. Otherwise I'd buy from the trusted vendor.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Correct. According to Swappa conditions, this would fall below fair. Because the screen isn't in good condition.
uploadfromtaptalk1453581953157.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's true. Although I spoke on the phone with Motorola and they don't just immediately deduct the cost. They will contact you and give you options.

I was planning on doing that and then listing here, but I just cant to go a week+ without a device.

So essentially anyone interested should just offer me this at a price they'd be comfortable with even if the device doesn't get replaced.
Don't know what carrier you are on, but if on Verizon then their extended warranty covers pre existing conditions in certain states. Assuming that the problem is a mechanical defect. There might be other plans out there that cover similar. The nice thing about Verizon is they will send the phone first. There is also no deductible for claims under extended warranty

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

On eBay if you did not list this phone in the "For parts or not working" category you would have a PayPal / eBay claim on your hands.
On Swappa by default this would go in the Boneyard category.
So it is a bit disingenuous to say this is a mint condition device and then say oh by the way here are a couple of teeny weeny issues with this device. Mobile Nations sites are a community of like minded enthusiasts and so people are definitely going to watch out for other fellow members. Nothing against you listing a device for sale here but it is better to list it in worse condition that it usually is to be on the safe side. Then when the buyer actually gets the device and finds it to be in better condition than they thought it would be in when they purchased it it creates a win-win scenario and goodwill on both sides of the deal.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
On eBay if you did not list this phone in the "For parts or not working" category you would have a PayPal / eBay claim on your hands.
So it is a bit disingenuous to say this is a mint condition device and then say oh by the way here are a couple of teeny weeny issues with this device. Mobile Nations sites are a community of like minded enthusiasts and so people are definitely going to watch out for other fellow members. Nothing against you listing a device for sale here but it is better to list it in worse condition that it usually is to be on the safe side. Then when the buyer actually gets the device and finds it to be in better condition than they thought it would be in when they purchased it it creates a win-win scenario and goodwill on both sides of the deal.

I apologize for any confusion there may have been. That was not my intention.

Me saying "Mint" was me describing the actual cosmetic condition. The condition of the actual outers of the device. The back sides and front of it. I have described the phone in its entirety in the OP. If someone bought this and had no idea that it had such and such. Then that means the buyer only read some of the OP and not all of it.

Again I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused. If my thread is just so offensive to all the moderators, then I'm fine with it being locked up if that's what you all wish.

I have followed the marketplace criteria by listing it in proper format with pictures and described the device in its complete entirety and instead of serious offers, just negative verbal evaluations of the info I have provided that don't consider all the aspects of what I have listed. Am I not welcome to sell this here.

I wouldn't want to just say "fair condition, screen burn, dust in camera". I want interested buyers to understand that the actual cosmetic physical condition of the device is excellent. I'm sorry if my use of the word " Mint" was wrong.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site

I also don't see how I did anything similar to the "oh by the way" scenario you proposed. It's not like I said "perfect condition", received offers and then brought up things wrong with it after payment.

The COMPLETE condition of the device is in the OP. I left nothing out. I don't see how it is dishonest. I guess the root of the issue is that I shouldn't have used he word " Mint"?

I guess I should have instead stated the device has so and so issues and then simply described the actual physical cosmetics of the device to be "like new" or is that dishonest too? Should the issues this device has completely cancel out any description of how it looks?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note, I will lock this thread now as it got off topic. Please feel free to relist the device, disclosing the burn in and dust under the camera lens in the thread title and body (if you plan to list it as near mint). You can say, "physically near mint condition, has screen burn in and dust under camera lens" in the title )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams