Vote for your favorite Podcatcher App

What is your favorite Podcatcher app?

• Total voters

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
  • Vote for your favorite Podcaster App in this poll.
  • You can vote for more than one app.
  • Applications change and new ones are added from time to time - therefore the poll will close periodically and a new one will be started.
  • If your favorite app is missing from above, please check "Other" and list it below.
  • If you want to comment or add additional information about your favorite app, chime in below.
  • All new "what's your favorite Podcaster app" threads will be merged with this one.

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
DogCatcher all the way for me since it's much more than audio podcasts. Video podcasts and my own ripped audiobooks (auto bookmarking) are handled perfectly with DogCatcher.

george.hall

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
podcast app that can save to SD card

I am new to Android and I downloaded DogCatcher. I am pleased in general but I don't think it will let me save my podcasts to the SD card. Does anyone know an app that will let me store all my podcast file to the card? They are quite big sometimes.

Thanks!

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I voted BeyondPod as it just offers so much more than Google Listen. It does have a few minor issues but I was completely over having podcasts restart from the beginning if I lost reception for a second etc with Listen and not being able to fast forward effectively. Listen works OK but I like switching between podcasts seamlessly and so far BeyondPod has ticked that box.

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't watch any video podcasts, so Google Listen is fully functional without being overly complicated for my needs. I love the two-way sync with Google Reader on the web, since I flash ROMs so often having my list of podcasts automagically repopulating after installing Listen is awesome.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just use iTunes, you can make a smart playlist that stores all podcasts. Then it gets synced over via TuneSync/DoubleTwist/iSyncr like any regular music playlist.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android and I downloaded DogCatcher. I am pleased in general but I don't think it will let me save my podcasts to the SD card. Does anyone know an app that will let me store all my podcast file to the card? They are quite big sometimes.

Thanks!
there is a setting for it, but you need to create the directory and manually type it in under settings. no browse feature(strange?)

lil_sunshine

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I used Google Listen for awhile. I abandoned it for Beyondpod. I picked Beyondpod because I used it for years on Windows Mobile and loved it. Also, it has a few features that I love that Doggcatcher doesn't offer:

1. Categories - I download my favorite news podcast every day, there are some subscriptions that I only need & want to download once in a while, I like to be able to sort these different groups and download them in batches
2. Google Reader Imports - I like the fact that I can import feeds directly from Google Reader instead of having to export the feeds to an OPML file first. I'm always adding and deleting feeds, so this makes it so much easier to keep everything in sync. If you import from an OPML file, it's all or nothing.
3. Paid podcast - I subscribe to the New York times from Audible.com; Beyondpod accepts my username and password so that I can download the episodes right in the app (Doggcatcher may do this; I could not figure it out from the app description; to be fair, this feature is not mention in Beyondpod's app description either).

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
having a hard time getting google listen configured to work with my podcast to download the new ones once a week.

jimsearle

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I voted for "other", since PodTrapper wasn't in the list, I think I tried every app available on the market. I should have kept notes about what I didn't like about each of them. I tried to use BeyondPod the most and eventually gave up. Been using podTrapper now with no issues. I would try DoggCatcher if there was a trial version... I need more than a day to make a final decision. I would have voted for Google Listen if it was Google Listen/Watch, because I need video podcasts.

- Jim

packy

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
2. Google Reader Imports - I like the fact that I can import feeds directly from Google Reader instead of having to export the feeds to an OPML file first. I'm always adding and deleting feeds, so this makes it so much easier to keep everything in sync. If you import from an OPML file, it's all or nothing.
3. Paid podcast - I subscribe to the New York times from Audible.com; Beyondpod accepts my username and password so that I can download the episodes right in the app (Doggcatcher may do this; I could not figure it out from the app description; to be fair, this feature is not mention in Beyondpod's app description either).
DoggCatcher just added Google Reader import in the last build, and it supports RSS feeds that require username/password authentication.

I'll pass on your comment about the app description to the developer; that can probably be worked into it somewhere so other potential customers know about that feature.

(full disclosure: I'm a beta tester for DoggCatcher, so I've got some emotional investment in the app. I jumped ship from Google Listen once it became clear that the developer wasn't responsive to user input)

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I used BeyondPod for years on WinMo and loved it. I'm a cheap SOB and I don't listen to that many feeds so Listen would be find with me except:

? Cannot get it to be controlled by my A2DP Bluetooth Stereo headset (essential)

? It downloads the casts in an unrecognizable file format and replaces the file names so even if I used it to download I can't move the files to another directory to use another player. (would be great if I could choose the download location).

I do not like Listen's interface. For streaming it seems great, but I don't think I can use it as my podcatcher/player. I'll likely bite the bullet and buy BP at some point, but until then I'll see if I can find solutions to these Listen issues (or I'll just sideload my darn podcasts via Winamp sync)

Neata

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm searching for one now. I just switched from Palm Pre and DrPodder was out of this world great and spoiled me rotten. Haven't found a similar set up for my EVO shift yet, so I'm still carrying around my Pre just for the pod casts. By the way, I really miss the easy swipe to delete of the O/S platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463