Vote for your favorite SMS/MMS replacement app

What is your favorite text messaging app

• Total voters

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Some of you prefer stock. I prefer Handcent but others prefer Chomp. There's a new SMS contender on the market called Go SMS. Vote for your favorite, list others that you've tried/like, and also tell us about any cool SMS utilities that you use to manage your messages (e.g., SMS backup)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeahhhhh I might have to change my vote...I'm trying Go as we speak and so far I can say it's very possible that I will be switching soon.

rockigirl

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I use handcent but now I'm curious about Go.

Ok I'm really liking Go and its not a memory hog like handcent. Too bad I already voted.

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was using Chomp... but went back to stock due to insufficient amount of words that can be used.

I might try sms go or vice versa.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It has been stock HTC messaging app for me but GO SMS has me very curious. If the stability is there I may consider switching.

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using handscent and like it well enough that I don't think I'll try any others. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, right?

The only thing possibly "broke" about to me is that it doesn't seamlessly integrate all chat services as well, a la webOS. But I'm pretty sure none of the others do either, and I see no reason to switch until some do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been using handscent and like it well enough that I don't think I'll try any others. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, right?

The only thing possibly "broke" about to me is that it doesn't seamlessly integrate all chat services as well, a la webOS. But I'm pretty sure none of the others do either, and I see no reason to switch until some do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I said the same exact thing until I tried Go this morning. I never thought anything could be better.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, sounds like a lot of us are having similar experiences.

I had Handcent since the first day I got my droid x, 5 months ago or so. I text a lot. I customized the hell out of it, and LOVED it. I really thought it was genius. For Christmas, my dad got a Droid X, and I happened to be in town so I helped him set it up (he couldn't even answer a call... seriously).

So I thought to myself "hm, maybe I should take a couple risks. Instead of my default, Miren browser, I'm going to try this new dolphin mini for his phone (he'll really never know what he's missing either way, so it's low risk). I liked it, he did too. He said he wanted text pop ups. I thought handcent right away. Then I remembered reading GO SMS on xda forums. I remember downloading it a few months ago and it was too early in it's creation and really weak all around, but I tried it on his phone anyway to test the updates. I couldn't tell what it was that I liked so much about it. Just that it seemed the same on the surface as handcent, at about a third of the size. So I was intrigued.

I popped it on my phone, started playing with the customization, and within an hour I had removed handcent. The themed pop ups on go are completely awesome. But more importantly, it really is noticeably faster. Handcent has a pretty big upside when it comes to mms (you can now use their server to send big pictures instead of resizing them). BUT, GO SMS has speed, flash, usability, and is moving at an incredibly rapid pace. I reported a bug and it was fixed THAT night.

The devs behind GO are very talented, and really represent what Android is all about: New, fresh talent. I'm a huge fan and recommend everyone try it out for a day.

It makes me want to try GO Launcher, as a matter of fact... But I'm pretty attached to Fede...

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I was using Handcent, but then some messages I sent to people were being received as garbled gibberish, and it had a habit of splitting even short messages (of 20, 30, or 40 or so charachters) into 3 or 4 parts. Very annoying and stupid.

Its developers were no help, either, so I dumped it altogether and went with Go SMS.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been using SMS Popup app from the Market for quite a while. Pretty straight forward and puts incoming text messages (with ID pix) over the lock screen. You can delete, reply or close right there, without having to unlock the screen.

Also gives you at least three reminders there's a message waiting before it closes the over-screen window. The text message is (always) in the regular text messaging folder, so you can close the popup screen and deal with the text later. Also, you can have custom LED colors and ringtones for individual contacts with this app.

Works very well, no problems so far. Even took the update to Froyo without incident. Not sure of cost, dl it a long time ago. Think it may have been free (?)

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I am a loyal Handcent user, but I recently used GO, which I like, but there is some strange thing where it won't show my contact's pictures, so back to Handcent. Other than that small thing, I think GO is a serious contender and honestly cleaner looking and a better UI.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, I might be getting rid of Go SMS now, too. I noticed there isn't a way to resend a message that didn't go through. Was sending several relatives Happy New Year texts, and a couple of them didn't go through while some did. Instead of being able to retry/resend the 3 that didn't go through, I'm forced to retype the whole message or cut and paste and create a new SMS. That is VERY annoying!

Jeez, can't any SMS program have it all? This is the one time I miss my BB, because I never had any issues even when I used Chomp or Beyond 160 on my BB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2