Vote for your favorite SMS/MMS replacement app

What is your favorite text messaging app

• Total voters

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I've read all the comments in this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong(will be a new Dinc2 owner by sat.), but do these apps still require a text plan from your carrier? I'm trying to avoid the extra $10 to $20 to Verizon for text messages, but still have the ability to do send them, both SMS and MMS.

Thanks I will be trying the 3 with the most votes, Chomp, GO, and Handcent.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I've read all the comments in this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong(will be a new Dinc2 owner by sat.), but do these apps still require a text plan from your carrier? I'm trying to avoid the extra $10 to $20 to Verizon for text messages, but still have the ability to do send them, both SMS and MMS.

Thanks I will be trying the 3 with the most votes, Chomp, GO, and Handcent.

Yes... they require a text plan. All great apps... comes down to personal preference. +1 for Handcent.

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes... they require a text plan. All great apps... comes down to personal preference. +1 for Handcent.

Boo. Well then I guess I'll be using google voice for SMS for a lil bit unless i find the NEED for MMS.

So no one has tried Text+ or text free? Something like that. I saw it on the Amazon app store and it does SMS/MMS for free without the need of a text plan from your carrier. It works like GV but with MMS capabilities.

A lot of choices. Which is great.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way around having to pay for a carrier's text plan by using a free (or paid) app? Seems crazy to me that there's VOIP technology but not TOIP (he he!) technology. :p

EDIT: just saw post above. I'll follow those leads.

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way around having to pay for a carrier's text plan by using a free (or paid) app? Seems crazy to me that there's VOIP technology but not TOIP (he he!) technology. :p

EDIT: just saw post above. I'll follow those leads.

The one I was refering to is "textfree". It has 3* rating on Amazon apps store and 4* rating in the Android app store.

It's free so it can't hurt to try it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Chomp for a while now. Seems like a good opportunity to give Go and Handcent another chance and see what has changed.

mjlash22

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I liked the stock SMS on my nexus one but the stock on my infuse blew so I got go SMS and I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Handcent started hanging up and taking forever to send text. Thought it was Verizon but tried Go SMS and have not had the problem since. Go App is so good I tried Go Contact and will never go back to HTC People again. Figured I would try Go Weather but am sticking with Weather Bug.

RADEN

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from iPhone 3GS to Sensation 4G. Tried Handcent for a few days and then decided to try Go SMS. They both share almost the same features but I prefer the UI of Go SMS better.

MDiagnosis

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Ye! I use cool SMS utility from now (from the time all my SMS vanished) . Now I am backuping messages online in my gmail account with : SMS Backup Android app

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I am using Go Sms, but within the past 24 hours it appears that although I'm getting my husbands texts he's not getting any of mine. Then I got to thinkin how sometimes I don't get responses. So I'm wondering if it's this particular app, or my hubby's new phone-Samsung Flight II (he is very new to having his on phone, has used a clunky rugby cell provided by past employer)

SoFlaZ06

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Go SMS because I didn't like the colors of my stock app.
but Go SMS dont send out my picture messages, anyone else seen/have this issue?
text works great, but I have to go back to my stock app for pictures :-\

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Does Google Voice count? :)

I should say, I send maybe 3 or 4 sms messages a day, so I don't need any beefed up app for it.

Last edited:

crowdfinch

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Go SMS pro is the ultimate messaging application for Android devices. Its fast sleek design with many customizations available makes it the best way to stay in contact with the people who matter.

so i vote for Go SMS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol