12-25-2010 07:43 PM
602 ... 910111213 ...
    It's changed

Tapatalk Pro
    ASTRO File Manager
    Google Navigation (best nav app that I've used and I've used all the main ones)
    Seesmic/Twitter for Android
    Changed again...

Chrome to Phone
    Handcent SMS
    07-05-2010 11:25 PM
    Hard to settle on 5, but I think this is the list, primarily because they add really useful features that don't replicate standard applications. There are others I use a lot (like Jorte and Dolphin) that are very useful, but I could manage with the stock calendar and browser.

Gesture Search
    Settings Profile
    Titanium Backup (or MyBackup)
    V5 Battery Saver

Other heavily used apps:

Unrevoked (necessary for some of the other apps)
    Spare Parts (for battery monitoring, mostly, but other things, too)
    System Panel
    WiFi Tether
    WiFi Manager
    RPN Calc
    Weather Bug
    07-06-2010 12:39 PM
    An update for me, long time since I've entered.

The Weather Channel (widget) (pretty, and everything Weatherbug has, but free)
    Docs to Go (that should be a free entry tho')
    CompanionLink so that I can keep Palm Desktop and still sync
    And Tesseract's Solitaire

Until Laridian's myBible comes to Android.
    07-06-2010 07:47 PM
    @ a_googler

Nice list! I found a few of those very useful that I just DL'd. Thanks
    07-06-2010 08:10 PM
    - EStrong File Manager (tried most of them out there, the LAN and FTP connections feature is incredible)
    - GDocs NotePad with sync (until GDocs get the sync issues fixed)
    - 1Password (finalllllllllly)
    - AppBrain
    - GTasks (not gTasks)
    07-06-2010 08:11 PM
    My always changing list...

Twitter for Android (@avl5) (can't get away from this one)
    SNESoid & NESoid (great time waster for me)
    ESPN ScoreCenter (LOVE this for sports)
    FatSecret Calorie Counter (must have for me and my dieting)
    Pandora (great internet radio, my channel is tuned perfectly)
    Pageonce Assistant (bank account and bills)
    Listen (gotta have my podcasts)
    Voice (voicemail)
    GoogleMaps ('nuff said)
    Astro (file manager)

also all the root apps --- Root Explorer, ROM Manager...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, I'll add later...
    07-06-2010 08:18 PM
    1. Touiteur
    2. Facebook (even though its doodoo)
    3. Notes
    4. Grooveshark (been crashing on me lately though)
    5. ASTRO
    07-07-2010 12:11 AM
    wow one of the best threads out here
    07-07-2010 05:27 PM
    If you like Shazam you'll love SoundHound...
    Agred. S/H is freaking awesome.
    07-07-2010 05:46 PM
    I came from the Instinct, even though the phone is just ok, I love the "live search" feature. I've been using "where" on my EVO. It has way too many old listings. Any suggestion on any app that works like "live search"?
    07-07-2010 06:22 PM
    tough to list just 5, but here are my top 5 that I haven't seen mentioned very often:

Dialer One - great phone/contact app replacement that lets you search by name or number using the dial pad. Also has numerous other options like horizontal swiping for switching between contacts, favs & call log, and speed dial options.

QuickDesk - a "pop up" home screen that can be opened anywhere on the phone without interrupting what your doing. Open it by double tapping the home button. Great for widgets like battery widget and settings shortcuts. Works flawlessly with LauncherPro, ADW Launcher & other launcher apps.

Alarm Clock Plus V2 - just like the default alarm clock but with mp3/"run app on awake" alarms, math problems to snooze/dismiss, auto off timer and lots more features that are missing from the android alarm clock

S2 Calendar Widget - monthly view widget with tons of options and a shortcut to your calendar app when you tap on it

Wifi Status - places an icon in your status bar when your wifi is on but not connected, reminding you to turn it off when there's no connection so you can save some battery power. Clicking on the status bar entry disables your wifi radio in one click. Simple but really useful

Some other great ones...
    SMS Backup - automatically syncs your sms messages to your gmail with a customizable label
    City Caller ID - automatically tells you the location of incoming calls & can also look up number locations using the app
    AK Notepad - Simple notepad app that organizes your notes with tags. Also auto syncs with www.snaptic.com (really easy to use online memo saver)
    mp3 download / iMusic - searches the web for mp3s and downloads them straight to your phone, really simple and useful
    07-07-2010 10:25 PM
    USA Today
    Mobisle Notes
    Weather Bug Elite
    07-08-2010 06:29 PM
    Jorte Calendar ( does everything I need a calendar to do)
    Note Everything (think I have tried them all. This is a winner)
    B-Folders (best password, credit card, bank vault but very pricey)

Maildroid (beta) (after a week of use it has replaced K-9 on my DINC. Great support)
    Sign (great concept, new speed dialer)
    07-08-2010 10:15 PM
    QuickDesk is awesome already, and still under development. Thanks for the tip! (An Android phone, which can multitask, should have something like this built in in order to actually do so!)
    07-09-2010 12:58 PM
    I'm looking for some good apps that seem to fly under the radar. All of the "best of" lists and even the top 5 app threads are useless they all mention stuff like twitter apps and pandora. I'm looking for those gems that take a little more digging such as quickdesk (love it), jotter and cubed music player. Any suggestions or places to go to find these?
    WAM likes this.
    07-12-2010 03:12 PM
    hmm alright i like:

Opera Mini is my favorite browser. it's fast and easy to use. it doesnt NEED to get permissions from a webserver every time.

Spare Parts

System panel/ATK

Fxcamera/camera 360

sound manager and

07-12-2010 03:18 PM
    Jorte for the calendar month view and widgets

Stats- shows data usage, txts and calls

Fetch It- find your phone when it's stuck in the seat cushions

CT Scheduler (beta)
    07-12-2010 03:26 PM
    Word Wise. Just like words with friends on Iphone. Loads of fun.
    07-12-2010 03:30 PM
    Andromax - a clock/battery/signal widget for the home screen. Think Beautiful Widgets, but with no weather.

Quick Settings - a nice settings switcher that doesn't take up any space on the screen. It allows you to access it in the notification bar, or voice search button. I have mine linked to the Andromax widget so that it opens if I touch the battery graphic.

Lithium Music Player - Already gave it a mention in another thread, but will mention it here too. Crossfade between tracks, and has a really slick user interface.
    07-12-2010 03:38 PM
    Dazzle - Best toggle widget I've used. Every toggle you need in one widget.
    07-12-2010 04:19 PM
    Useful Apps:
    Advanced Task Killer (The free version now allows automated task killing at intervals)
    BatteryTime Lite (Handy to see how much battery life is left)
    Rom Manager (Only if you like to get ROMs.)
    Pure Grid Calendar (If you don't have another calendar Widget)
    AndroZip (For Unzipping compressed files)
    ASTRO File Manager (For dealing with the unzipped and other files)

Fun Apps:
    Wapedia (For quickly looking up stuff on Wikipedia)
    SpeedX 3D (A great time killer)
    Shazam (Free)
    SoundHound ($5)
    Last.fm (Free Internet Radio and Makes list of songs you've listened to if you have a free account)
    Phit Reload (Puzzle game)
    Ringdroid (Make your own custom ringtones)
    GameBoid (Game Boy Advance Emulator)

Hope these are useful. I recommend all of them. Some are useful together, EG ASTRO, AndroZip and Gameboid.

Also some or a lot of these are known, but they're still handy.
    07-12-2010 04:39 PM
    I think that waze could be REALLY cool if there were more people on it. It is like combining Trapster, and Google Maps, but with a wiki and social component. You can actually send a message to other cars on the road that show up on the map... I just tested this today with another developer who was running it on his iPhone4. It still has a little ways to go, but it is VERY cool.
    07-12-2010 05:14 PM
    I think that waze could be REALLY cool if there were more people on it. It is like combining Trapster, and Google Maps, but with a wiki and social component. You can actually send a message to other cars on the road that show up on the map... I just tested this today with another developer who was running it on his iPhone4. It still has a little ways to go, but it is VERY cool.
    Just downloaded Waze to give it a try. The iPhone version of Trapster does have more features like the ability to message other users. it would be nice if they would add those features on the Android version.

Trapster - iPhone Speed Trap Alert Application
    07-12-2010 06:13 PM
    Some games:
    Raging Thunder II
    Exzeus Arcade
    Slimeball Speedway
    Tiki Towers
    Hungry Shark
    Caligo Chaser
    Nirvana328 likes this.
    07-12-2010 06:17 PM
    Rockplayer! Droid now plays DiVx and xvid!

Dazzle is prettycool.

Bloo for Facebook.

I dropped Astro file explorer 'cause the new update includes adds!

Autoresponder replys to SMS and Calls with an away SMS message.
    Goldwinger likes this.
    07-12-2010 06:31 PM
602 ... 910111213 ...