12-25-2010 07:43 PM
602 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Awesome Drop is awesome! I hope they figure out a way to make it go both ways.
    that just sounds so wrong on so many levels.
    flipfone likes this.
    07-16-2010 12:16 PM
    I downloaded this app at one point but uninstalled because I didn't even understand what it exactly does and how to use it. Anyone like to explain?

Here's what I got from my understanding: You see a picture or media file or something else on your phone browser. You then just click and drag and drop it off in some box? I use the stock browser and didn't see a box or anything and I didn't see how you can drag stuff either.
    07-16-2010 12:35 PM
    I downloaded this app at one point but uninstalled because I didn't even understand what it exactly does and how to use it. Anyone like to explain?

Here's what I got from my understanding: You see a picture or media file or something else on your phone browser. You then just click and drag and drop it off in some box? I use the stock browser and didn't see a box or anything and I didn't see how you can drag stuff either.
    No, I believe it's for the PC. You open a browser/site, which gives you a pin to put into the app on your phone. Then you just drag/drop files (on the PC) into the web browser, and it copies them (wirelessly) to your phone:

07-16-2010 01:30 PM
    Awesome Drop - i use it, i love it!
    07-16-2010 01:32 PM
    No, I believe it's for the PC. You open a browser/site, which gives you a pin to put into the app on your phone. Then you just drag/drop files (on the PC) into the web browser, and it copies them (wirelessly) to your phone:

Makes sense! Does it do it via WiFi or can I do this with 3G too?
    07-16-2010 02:25 PM
    I do this using dropbox...what's the difference?
    07-16-2010 02:30 PM
    Just like dropbox. Try it tony. And is 3g .

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    07-16-2010 02:32 PM
    I do this using dropbox...what's the difference?
    no account needed.
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    07-16-2010 02:32 PM
    by design.
    07-16-2010 02:33 PM
    by design.
    mwahahahahaha!
    07-16-2010 02:35 PM

Exactly this is great for me because my job blocks any usb storage devices for security issues... This way I can xfer my files via internet when I find wallpaper ect when im bored at work.. Its a loophole lol Im not taking anything bad so its perfect..
    07-16-2010 02:43 PM
    I'm getting forgetful in my old age, so I find a little app called COL Reminder very handy. Sure, you can put events in your calendar, but that can be a tad clunky, but COL Reminder is cool because you can set it to remind you to dial a number from your contacts or make a text note to read at a certain time, or even alert you when your parking meter is about to expire.

Anyway, it's free and the developer continues to improve it, plus I think it genuinely counts as one of the more truly unknown apps, which this thread is all about!
    07-16-2010 09:17 PM
    I loled hard
    07-16-2010 10:27 PM
    Great thread!

ClearCheckbook: Awesome bank account manager that syncs to a website companion. No personal info is needed (name, account numbers, etc...)

Our Groceries: shopping list that you can share with other people. The lists automatically update on all phones. Great when wife and I are out and about seperatley and we need to know who picked up what. Available for Blackberry too....not sure about other OS's

Craigslist: Craigslist Notification lets you set search parameters then will notify you when new posts are available. Allows for multiple cities, replies to posts and much more. Free and Pro version.

NewsRob: Access to Google Reader is an awesome layout. Widget available with Pro version

Those are my "must haves" right now.

wkj
    07-16-2010 11:06 PM
    Best apps no one knows about:

NoteEverything (especially paid Pro version): yes, I know everyone makes a fuss about Evernote, but I like this better. Textnotes, Paintnotes, Photonotes, Checklists, Reusable Checklists, storage to SD card, excellent develper support.

iRT Calendar replacement app: Makes Google calendar do so much more in a nice UI

OI Safe: My favorite password storage app
    07-17-2010 12:01 AM
    iSilo is a great app that I have used on every mobile platform I have ever had (Palm, WM, BB, iPhone)...
    You can download free books, and the desktop client will grab internet articles or even entire websites and convert them for later viewing, you can set it for specific times of day to grab the article...

iSilo
    07-17-2010 06:38 AM
    I like Car Mode - touch the icon and it changes your incoming phone calls to speakerphone (I don't use bluetooth.) - you can turn it on and off from the notification bar.
    07-17-2010 07:59 AM
    Best apps no one knows about:

NoteEverything (especially paid Pro version): yes, I know everyone makes a fuss about Evernote, but I like this better. Textnotes, Paintnotes, Photonotes, Checklists, Reusable Checklists, storage to SD card, excellent develper support.
    Not to mention a free plugin that allows import/export to GDocs, even under the free version
    07-17-2010 08:05 AM
    I might end up with a list of more than 5, but these are my most frequently used apps:

Evernote
    Newsroom
    Soundhound
    Artis Fancy Contacts Widget
    Android Agenda Widget
    Lithium Music Player
    Kindle

Oh, and the Quit Smoking app is a wealth of useful information too. I've save $481 since June 7! LOL
    07-17-2010 08:58 AM
    gDocs Notes (it syncs)
    gTasks (it syncs)
    Keepass Droid
    Flixster
    Pandora
    For the 3rd party apps that sync to Google, are you affraid of the security implications of the apps having your Google access?

Google does so much, that it sees scary to let others (less established) gain that access indirectly.
    07-18-2010 10:15 PM
    Google is Skynet
    07-19-2010 12:02 AM
    How about a good facebook app? I can't seem to find a decent one
    07-19-2010 08:18 AM
    How about a good facebook app? I can't seem to find a decent one
    I am using the Welcome to Facebook | Facebook (facebook touch site) ... gives a better UI than the Android version of facebook and should be able to be updated independent of platform. Only glitch I have encountered is that only some of the contacts are listed in a page and the right side arrow to go to more is not selectable. I tend to search for a contact anyway, so not a deal breaker. Worth a look.

There is a case for a number of web centric apps to be replaced by well thought out, touch based mobile sites but that is a wider debate ...
    deeemaa likes this.
    07-19-2010 12:08 PM
    "ireader" is a good book reader. "Calendar in status" bar is nice. "Col reminder" a nice alarm app. "FireKeys unlimited" is pricey but really helps, especially since I am not used to the onscreen keyboard. It enables you to create your own dictionary and generally makes typing much easier. . I like "group ringtones", can set ringers for all members of a group. "Spillmap" -- i live on the Gulf and this tracks the spill. "No lock" does what it says; the switch on the EVO is such that an accidental turn on is not likely. "World Watch" is good for travel -- gives time and weather for lots of cities. "autorotate on-off" toggles autorotate. Mostly found and installed usieng "AppBrain"
    07-19-2010 04:47 PM
    I always have to pimp Orb, it's a great concept - stream your media over the Internet to anywhere. There's an app (I bought it) but you can also try browser access, apparently works very well on Flash/Froyo. You'll need a client running on your home computer (free).

The Tricorder app is great. Puts my CA friend's iPhone seismograph app to shame and wins extra geek points.

I've got a few techie apps no one seems interested in, but they're worth mentioning just to get them some attention. Bye Bye v4 helps to pass the time until IPv6-ready LTE is available. The dev for VirtualBox Manager needs some love.
    07-19-2010 08:19 PM
602 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD