12-25-2010 07:43 PM
602 ... 1516171819 ...
    Does the game "Abduction" lag for anyone else? Or is it just my slow myTouch3G?

It's a 1mb app I don't get why it lags on my phone.
    08-09-2010 10:03 PM
    Did I post in this thread yet? Anyhow, as of today:

LauncherPro Plus ~ Specifically really like drag and drop uninstalls, drag and drop from the drawer to put something on a homescreen, would like drag and drop screen reordering one day like the Samsung launcher, but that's ok.
    Nudnik ~ gives repeating alarms, helps me to actually hear the calendar alarms. Necessary utility for me.
    SystemPanel ~ Really helpful in so many ways. Happy to have bought this definitely.
    Tasker ~ Cool in the car to get tunes going with no fuss, and to turn on Flight Mode automatically at night to save batteries, but still learning slowlt to make the most of the app...
    3Banana Notes ~ Simple way without much bloat to get notes to and from my phone. Really nice and simple.
    Libra ~ trying to shed a few pounds and this is simple and easy to deal with, not much functionality but it does one thing well

Ok, that was 6 but what I use most often after having Android for a month or so.
    08-10-2010 02:05 AM
    Top 5 for me:

1. Launcher Pro Plus (Best launcher period)

2. Swype Keyboard (Takes some getting used to but once you do, you wont want to type ever again)

3. Jorte (Best Calendar app and syncs perfectly with Google Calendar)

4. Genie Widget (I use the News and Weather Widget. I spend most of my time on my phone reading the news in this widget)

5. Handcent SMS (The BEST sms on Android IMHO)

Honorable mentions:

Beautiful Widgets

Astro File Manager

Btunes (iTunes style music player)

TiKL (Touch To Talk, me and 5 other Android users in my Lodge use this when we have events and its just like using Nextel's Chirp)

3banana (Best notes app on Android if you ask me)

Better Cut (If you are serious about customizing your screens, you need this)

Alchemy (fun game)

Google Navigation (The best Nav app I ever used)
    08-10-2010 02:20 AM
    i am addicted to homerun battle3d
    08-11-2010 10:16 AM
    Trying Launcher Pro based on so many kudos, and I like the options, but hate that it doesn't automatically grab all my shortcuts. So I have to recreate them?

And add, Calorie Counter...way cool app for keeping food intake/exercise output under control.
    08-11-2010 12:18 PM
    And add, Calorie Counter...way cool app for keeping food intake/exercise output under control.
    I started using Calorie Counter last week and love it, but there are two on the market. I'm using the one associated with FatSecret.com.

There's another that syncs with MyFitnessPal. I downloaded that and am currently using both until I decide which I like better (leaning towards MFP)

FatSecret Pros:
    • Barcode Scanner (this is awesome and a super-fast way to add something you ate)
    • Has 24 hour days. It actually starts off each day with 8 hours of sleep and 16 hours of rest (which you can adjust) and the calories burnt for that. Anything you add to it removes time from something else. You can add things such as "sitting" and "desk work" to really break down your day in what you're doing.
    • Has restaurants and chains in it as a category...really easy to find menu items.

FatSecret Cons:
    • Limited exercise list (for example, there is a general "Exercise Machine (Hard) - or Medium or Easy" category, but it's not broken out as extensively as MFP is.

MyFitnessPal Pros:
    • Really extensive exercise list. Even breaks down weight exercises into the types (like Shoulder Press), the weights, sets, and reps. That'll be awesome at the gym. Exercises are also broken into "Cardio" and "Strength" unlike FS.
    • Has better "at a glance" goals.

MyFitnessPal Cons
    • No barcode scanner (really really wish it had one...so very handy)
    • Have to search for restaurants instead of a list.
    • Doesn't track literally every activity, like FS does (i.e. I can't input that I had 6 hours of sleep and did desk work for 9 hours and drove for an hour). Seems to track exercise only (and not your activities)

Honestly, I think MyFitnessPal is a better program. The lack of a barcode scanner really holds it back, and I find that searching for menu items at a restaurant is more time consuming.

For example, with FatSecret's app, I would just click on Restaurants -> R and Red Lobster is listed right there. Click on that and I get the options for Beverages, Chicken, Cocktails..etc. It's just really easy to find menu items using categories instead of having to input text to search.

I'll probably stick with MFP though...it's all around a better app for actually tracking calories and exercise, just because the exercise section is really broken down very extensively. I do wish it tracked things like sleep-time, sit-time, desk-work, etc, like FS does, but that stuff is not as important to me as being able to say exactly which exercises, weights, and reps I did.

Neither seem to have a treadmill option (my cardio of choice) with a speed and incline...you have to just choose running and your speed (no incline settings).
    J Snazzy likes this.
    08-11-2010 02:50 PM
    Swype, Swype, Swype... did I say Swype? The other day, it stopped working because I had a problem with my phone, I thought I was going to scream when I had to type on a normal keyboard. If you haven't used Swype, I recommend it.
    Downrange likes this.
    08-11-2010 10:26 PM
    08-11-2010 11:57 PM
    Any good Twitter apps out there? Besides Twitdroid?
    Seesmic. End of discussion.
    08-12-2010 12:10 AM
    08-12-2010 01:52 PM
    I am loving Handcent and Advanced Task Killer
    08-12-2010 03:44 PM
    Awesome Drop. (Wirelessly transfer files to your phone. Super easy, I use it for music)
    Goby (let's me know where the action is at!)
    Appbrain (too stay up to date on phone app/games)
    Pandora (Music)
    mIQ (Woop woop! Keep that data backed up!)
    08-12-2010 04:13 PM
    Here are some applications that I like that I haven't seen mentioned very frequently:

Relax and Sleep: choose sounds to help you sleep (birds, rain, beach, etc.)

Date in Tray: displays the current date & day or month name in the tray.

Smart Shortcuts: label / categorize the applications, bookmarks and contacts, then I can just put that folder on my screen for easy access (ie all productivity)

right now I am trying out Estrongs file explorer - I have used Astro and Linda file explorers.

QuickDesk Beta - love it - imagine a secret screen to double tap to get to with all of your widgets. Keeps the desktop clean. (I haven't tried using Multicon Widget on it to free up more space).

Digital Clock. I use this as a night time bedside clock. It does have an alarm, but I prefer....AppAlarm Lite. I do alternate using Bedside as a nighttime clock, Bedside allows you to block out calls / sms during a time frame. (it's an alarm clock also)

Audio Manager Widget - allows you to see the volume levels of everything, and to adjust.

Mini Info - shows Battery percent(%) & Status, Total & Available Internal Storage & External Memory (SD Card) (it is a widget)

Smart Financial Calculator - has many financial calculators - loan, sale, monthly deposit, etc. (this was free - I found it after I paid for CalcEssentials, which I like also)

ZumoDrive, same thing as DropBox

Dazzle Configurable Switcher - widget that you can choose the size, and choose what it will do - ringer, sync, WiFi, BT, GPS, airplane, or brightness.

Fast Food Calorie Counter - I paid $2.99 for this.Prior I would look up calorie content on the websites that are available, but sometimes I am in a location with a dead signal. Doesn't always have everything, you can find most of the information on websites, but still this one was worth it to me.

CalorieCounter by Fat Secret (free)

PrinterShare Droid Print - I bought the $4.95 premium key for the network wireless printing - works perfect.

If you can't find a program let me know and I'll post a link.
    08-13-2010 12:20 AM
    Multicon Widget - Place for icons in the space of one

Desktop Visualizer - Makes widgets or shortcuts. Best used with Launcher Pro.
    08-13-2010 02:29 AM
    how about photo apps noone mentioned those, any with red eye fix
    08-13-2010 06:44 AM
    Powerstrip and Setting Profiles for me. Surprised more people don't use that.

Powerstrip lets you open a drawer of apps and widgets on any screen by pressing the home button (two presses take you back to the home screen). Nice to be able to be on your maps, then turn on your GPS without leaving the map, for example.

Setting profiles is like a more functional (IMO) version of Locale. Probably the best app I've purchased.

And of course there is Hypnotoad To Go. It's free, and everyone must have it. All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

08-13-2010 07:49 AM

Great addictive game. You can play for 15 seconds or an hour. Not sure how I stumbled upon it, but it's very enjoyable.
    08-13-2010 08:32 AM
    Jorte for the calendar month view and widgets

Stats- shows data usage, txts and calls
    can you link to this? I can't seem to find it
    08-13-2010 09:35 AM
    A couple that I love are launch x pro, Banner, and Vaulty..
    08-13-2010 02:20 PM
    SPC (Super Private Conversation)

Hide your phone call log, text messages, call blocks selected contacts and blocks text messages from selected contacts.
    08-13-2010 06:30 PM
    can you link to this? I can't seem to find it
    Jorte - Android app on AppBrain
    08-13-2010 07:39 PM
    Earthquake!: This is a geologically active planet...

SMS Unread Count: I don't know why this isn't more popular. Unread counts on widgets for Gmail and SMS. I couldn't live without it.

Epocrates: Outstanding drug resource. Pill identification is a life-saver in the clinic.

Admiral Ackbar Soundboard: ...It's a trap!
    08-13-2010 10:18 PM
    WordFeud, much like wordswithfriends.
    SilentMode OnOff...like it on my home screen for quick button to toggle. WiFi on/off didn't work well on my X.
    Multicon..makes less used apps still available.
    Padroid plus...perfect for note taking like I want.
    08-14-2010 08:14 AM
    thanks =D ill have to try some of those out
    08-14-2010 09:28 AM
    I didn't see a mention, but Wyse Pocket Cloud is a fantastic RDP client. Even without a keyboard, it is very productive, and can accomplish pretty much anything you can do from a desktop client. It runs much faster than the WinMo native RDP client over 3G and the virtual mouse pointer alleviates the need to zoom into the screen just to click on a link that's too tiny for your finger.

I thought that RDP was going to be the biggest drawback going from the keyboard+stylus interface on my TP2 to the touchscreen only on my Evo, but Pocket Cloud is actually better than RDP on the TP2. I get things done over RDP much faster and more efficiently with Pocket Cloud than I ever did on my TP2.

The beta is free for the rest of the month, and will probably be $30 afterwards, but if you use RDP as much as I do, it completely worth it.
    08-14-2010 11:11 AM
602 ... 1516171819 ...