Your Top 5 Android Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
1. Shazam - Tags the music you hear as it's playing in the world.
2. c:geo - Geocaching for the win!
3. IMDb - All you ever need to know about movies.
4. Mr. Number Caller ID - Caller ID, and it's free.
5. Bump - You can now share apps via fist bump.

Aspiring Developer

May 13, 2010
Visit site
LauncherPro - just the best home screen replacement app
SekaiCamera = booming augmented realty app
quick settings
tricorder - very nice since froyo
GPSStatus - the full monty

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
1. Locale - fantastic profile switcher. (Still not as complete as the BB ones, but more automation)

2. ADW Launcher - along with Launcher Pro, the best home launcher around. If you use more than 1 Launcher app by the way HOME SWITCHER is a fantastic, light app to switch quickly between launchers and set defaults quickly.

3. QUICK DIAL is a great speed dialing tool.

4. APP BRAIN is a great tool to browse and install apps from a web based interface on a PC. There's the website and the light Android app client to sync.

5. xScope BROWSER Easily the best browser available for android. Excellent 1-handed sliding zoom, real tabbing, MANY other great features.

Bonus ones I love:
Good Morning Alarm (wake to custom spoken greating, spoken weather, spoken time date. It's so cool.
My POSITION -Easy fast way to send anyone your location immediately
DropBox The best way to share files among PC, phone, etc etc

Jun 29, 2010
www.twitter.com
How can you just pick 5???

Best Task Manager: I've tried 5-10 of these puppies, and while Advanced Task Killer (Free) is no slouch, I def have to go with Automatic Task Killer. Great battery life, easy interface, limited/no ads, and 2 great widgets.

Games: Thanks to this thread I discovered Cestos = the BESTos!

Homerun Battle 3D is also amazing and has great multi-player online play.

If you haven't tried NESoid with the Wii Controller functionality you are seriously missing out. I simply dock my Droid in landscape and play Super Mario Bros. 3 with my Wii controller wirelessly. 'Nuff said.

I also suggest Bubble Defense, Robo Defense, Toss It, and Phit Droid!

Productivity: Adobe Reader, ASTRO File Manager (doubles as great back-up app,) Documents To Go (Full - well worth $9.99,) Dropbox (wireless file syncing to the max,) Evernote, GDocs (great for people who use Google Docs,) Jorte (beautiful agenda/calendar replacement app,) Mint.com (MUST HAVE,) OI Safe, and USA Hot Jobs (The answer to the unemployment rate? Android users able to change the world!)

Music: gStrings (amazing app for tuning guitar or whatev,) Listen (best podcast app hands-down,) Music Wizard (the Limewire of Android,) Pandora, Slacker, and SoundHound (sorry Shazam!)

For Root Users: ROM Manager, AdFree, Root-Ed ShoutBox, SetCPU, Spare Parts, and Wireless Tether...

Reading: Kindle, NewsRoom, and the best Bible app - KJV Bible (Search "talking Bible." It has more than just the KJV, but is amazing. Must try.)

Utilities: Uninstaller, Scientific Calculator, Calorie Counter, Craigsnotifica (Craigslist app,) Dictionary.com, Goggles, Google Translate, Google Sky Map, HistoryEraser, IMDb, Kayak (for traveling, flights, hotels, etc,) myLock Prefs (so your phone automatically unlocks - amazing,) Recordoid (MUST HAVE VOICE RECORDER,) TeslaLED (camera flash = flashlight - w/ great widgets,) Timeriffic, and Vlingo!

Entertainment: Epic Fail, Gowalla, Mario Soundboard, Tapatalk Pro, TV.com, and Ustream Viewer.

Backgrounds & Ringtones: Zedge and Backgrounds...

Photography (Huge hobby of mine...): FxCamera, PhotoFunia, Picasa Tool, PicSay Pro, Retro Camera, and Vignette. I take professional-quality pics on my Droid with these software(s)...

Weather: WeatherBug Elite - no question. Unrivaled widgets, accuracy, features, etc.

Browser: apart from my stock Chrome browser with Adobe Flash, I recommend the newest SkyFire - much improved.

Miscellaneous: Android Central widget (of course,) Runstar, ScoreMobile (best sports app - period,) ESPN ScoreCenter, Shopper (by Google,) Where, Google Voice, tumblroid, and MY FAVE TWITTER APP (for the last couple days, anyway)... SEESMIC! (Gotta love that raccoon! And the free window decals they sent me!)

If these seem like a lot (or overwhelming,) please know I have all those and MORE installed on my Moto Droid running ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning 4.3 overclocked to 1.25 GHz on Android 2.2! Runs smooth as butter and quick as greased lightning. No complaints here. Feel free to ask me any ?'s regarding any of my choices. For the record, I have personally purchased and tried EVERY Twitter app on the Market - so don't hesitate to ask me anything (or tweet me @a_googler!) Thanks all! :p

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
It's changed :)

Tapatalk Pro
ASTRO File Manager
Google Navigation (best nav app that I've used and I've used all the main ones)
Shazam
Seesmic/Twitter for Android

Changed again...

Chrome to Phone
Twidroid
Handcent SMS
SoundHound
Pandora

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hard to settle on 5, but I think this is the list, primarily because they add really useful features that don't replicate standard applications. There are others I use a lot (like Jorte and Dolphin) that are very useful, but I could manage with the stock calendar and browser.

Gesture Search
Settings Profile
B-Folders
Titanium Backup (or MyBackup)
V5 Battery Saver

Other heavily used apps:

Unrevoked (necessary for some of the other apps)
AppBrain
Spare Parts (for battery monitoring, mostly, but other things, too)
System Panel
WiFi Tether
WiFi Manager
Dolphin
RPN Calc
Jorte
Shazam
Pandora
Weather Bug

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
An update for me, long time since I've entered.

aTakephone
The Weather Channel (widget) (pretty, and everything Weatherbug has, but free)
ColorNote
Docs to Go (that should be a free entry tho')
CompanionLink so that I can keep Palm Desktop and still sync
And Tesseract's Solitaire

Until Laridian's myBible comes to Android.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
- EStrong File Manager (tried most of them out there, the LAN and FTP connections feature is incredible)
- GDocs NotePad with sync (until GDocs get the sync issues fixed)
- 1Password (finalllllllllly)
- AppBrain
- GTasks (not gTasks)

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My always changing list...

Twitter for Android (@avl5) (can't get away from this one)
SNESoid & NESoid (great time waster for me)
ESPN ScoreCenter (LOVE this for sports)
FatSecret Calorie Counter (must have for me and my dieting)
Pandora (great internet radio, my channel is tuned perfectly)
Pageonce Assistant (bank account and bills)
Listen (gotta have my podcasts)
Voice (voicemail)
GoogleMaps ('nuff said)
Astro (file manager)

also all the root apps --- Root Explorer, ROM Manager...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, I'll add later...

thevumeister

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Live search?

I came from the Instinct, even though the phone is just ok, I love the "live search" feature. I've been using "where" on my EVO. It has way too many old listings. Any suggestion on any app that works like "live search"?

Status
Not open for further replies.