ZZMitch

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
1. Launcher Pro
2. Alchemy
3. Smooth Calendar
4. DockRunner
5. Custom Car Home

I also really like Gesture Search and Smart Keyboard!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
SoundHound is the first that comes to mind.
Shazam got a head start, but to me, S.H.
is a lot snappier and I like it a lot more than
Shazam.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
theres a new app on the market called Awesome Drop, its put out by those Awesome Dashwire guys! Check it out cause it IS awesome!

kyoon19

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
1. Jorte - Calendar
2. Handcent SMS - Much better than stock sms message
3. Appbrain - Faster than android market
4. Brightness - Easy to control lcd brightness
5. Uninstaller - Uninstall apps in one click

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's one that I don't think I have seen mentioned on the forums, but is GREAT:

SETTING PROFILES (full) - $3.99 I think (there is a limited lite version as well)

This app functions very similar to Locale, in that it can change the way things happen on your phone depending on a number of conditions; location, time, charge status, wifi connection, etc. I purchased this app because the lite version only lets you set one rule/action, but is great for trial purposes...

Some of the things I have done with this app:

I set a rule that when I get a new SMS, a sound will alert me every 2 minutes until I have read the message (highly configurable), and I have also done the same thing with missed calls.

I set a rule that when I am at my home (location is identified by connection to my wifi network, and NOT by GPS) that my ringer volume with decrease, change tone, and change my wallpaper, screen brightness will also decrease. GPS location is available in the app, but I haven't used it because I don't want my battery to drain, but you can set how often it checks your location.

I set a rule that when my phone is charging (also configurable to WHAT type of charging, USB etc) my screen brightness goes to maximum, and screen timeout increases to 1 minute and ringer vibrate is turned off.

I have not got to mess with this app that much, but I see a LOT of possibilities in it. You can change your phone completely depending on countless conditions/locations etc. This is a really cool app and functions perfectly for me so far... The one feature that I would like to see is setting functions to turn on/off based on signal strength, this could be a HUGE battery saver for me....

Check it out, download the lite version and see for yourself!

Last edited:

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I found this interesting app that apparently came with the phone. It's called GMail and it seems to take my electronic mail account and "push it" to my phone. Sounds kind of violent but it sure beats carrying around my PC tower, monitor, USRobotics modem, and surge protector.

Ok, but in all seriousness, an app that I would recommend is Tech Buzz (an app/widget for tech-related news). I had never heard about it and hadn't seen anything about it until coming along a review of it here. Definitely worth checking out.

ghostyroasty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll add a few...

Song Storm Lite... Uses Grooveshark's service to download mp3s to your phone. I love Grooveshark and I have their VIP membership which brings me to my next app...

Grooveshark... I love the website, and the ability to find whatever I want to listen to. It has not failed me yet!

XiiaLive... Shoutcast app. I listen to Shoutcast all of the time at home because I can search for Disney and find tons of Disney Park music streaming 24/7 (I'm a seasonal Cast member)

Wordpress.. The ability to update my website Ghostyroasty.com from my phone... Nuff said!

Cheezburger ... View funny photos from many sites with this app. This gives me my needed daily laughs.

Handcent sms and K-9 Mail for obvious reasons.

IMEasy... for multi protocol chat.. And it is highly theme-able!!

SpillMap ... I like Spillmap to keep up with the Oil Spill.

Pittsburgh Penguins mobile app as well as The PensBlog app for obvious reasons.

Step Brothers Soundboard, just to have a lot of funny lines to cheers me up during the day.

Pirate's Compass ... Much more fun to look at a Pirate's Compass than the regular one!

I could name a bunch more, but those are the apps I use the most!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Tools
AppBrain plus Fast Web Installer : Search for and install Android Marketplace apps directly from your computer. Not possible from Android Market. Great app recommendations for you based on your interests.
MyBackup Pro : Backup apps, messages, contacts, calendar, etc. automatically to the cloud and your SD card – Restore to this phone or a new one. $3
ASTRO File Manager – Run apps, edit, backup apps, etc.
Battery Status Bar – Puts battery % in status bar (Also temperature, etc.)
Brightness Level – Two taps to set brightness!
Missed Call – Set repeating reminders for missed calls, emails, messages, etc.
Vlingo: Words to Action – Better than Google Voice Actions. Just say it – it does it.
Volume Button Controller – Set all the volume levels in one place.
Desktop Visualizer – Make your own icons.
HistoryEraser – Delete history in Browser and Apps.
JuiceDefender – battery saver – use with JuicePlotter and UltimateJuice!
Silent Boot – No annoying song on reboot.
Spare Parts – Turn off animations to speed up phone. Many other settings. Great!
SystemPanel App / Task Manager – See what apps are taking your battery, kill apps, etc.
Visual Task Switcher Free – Touch Home to see “Cards” for up to 9 open apps.
WebSharing File/Media Sync – See SDCard files on your PC like a disk drive.
Wheres My Droid – Make phone ring if ringers off or send Google Maps link to where it is.
WiFi Keyboard – Use your PC keyboard as your Android keyboard.
Advanced Task Killer – Automatically kill apps but take battery life.

eReaders
Aldiko Book Reader – 1,000,000 free books.
Kindle – The $200 Amazon eReader free on your Android. Lots of free books.
NOOK – The $200 Barnes & Noble eReader for free. 1,000,000 free books.
Talking King James Bible – free – great concordance – other version add–ons about $6.

Free Games
15n Puzzle Game
Backgammon Lite
Battleship Pro Free
Dots and Boxes
Hearts (free)
Slide Puzzle
Solitaire : Klondike
Spades (free)
Texas Hold'em Poker

Media Players
Meridian Media Player Pioneer
Music Player
TuneWiki Social Media Player – Great lyrics and other features.

Multimedia
Shazam – Let it listen to any song and it will tell you the title, artist, and album. Shazam!
DIRECTV – Program any of your DIRECTV receivers.
Discovery Channel
Facebook for Android – Every feature you would expect.
Fandango Movies
Flash Player 10.1
FREEdi YouTube Down–loader! – Save YouTube as videos and MP3’s to SD card.
Google Sky Map – Astronomy made fun.
IMDb Movies & TV : Everything about every movie and TV Series
Layar : Sees through walls
Paint
Qik for HTC EVO 4G
Talk To Me Classic – Translates your spoken words and says it in other languages.
The Weather Channel : Press Map It > Play for animated radar.
TV Guide Mobile
TV.com
Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers
News
ABC7Chicago
AP Mobile
Express News
Newspapers
The Weather Channel – Press Map It > Play for animated radar.
Thomson Reuters News Pro
USA TODAY
Reference
Sensorly : Shows where the 4G and 3G coverage really is. Your readings are automatically added to the maps.
Android Central Widget : Gets you here fast
Talk To Me : Simply amazing. Suddenly you speak and understand Spanish, French, German, and even UK English!
White & Yellow Pages – Make phone ring even with ringer off or send Google Maps link where it is.
Antennas – Shows where your antennas are
Barcode Scanner – Simply amazing!
Compass – Never get lost!
Dial Zero v1.04
Elements 2.0 – Great Periodic Table of the Elements.
FlightStats Lite for Android
Google Maps
Instant heart rate
RealCalc Scientific Calculator – Full featured. Works as advertised.
Real Signal
Smart Ruler – Turns your phone into a ruler.
Speedtest.net Speed Test
Tuner – gStrings
Carrr Matey

Shopping
Amazon MP3
Amazon.com
eBay

Last edited:

drclayton

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
This thread has been so much better than the other "top apps" thread that i have quick searched over time.

Besides the apps already mentioned, i use

-inrix Traffic - for quick traffic info. looks like it uses google maps traffic layer or something.

-dc metro - has metro times for dc. Im sure there are ones for other cities.

-drudge easy - drudge report just in app form.

-Air Control -(game)air traffic control game...very time consuming.

-wifi buddy -just a simple wifi app/widget.

also someone mentioned Palmary Weather. i searched it and cant find it. is there any more info on this?

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
1 Got To Do
2 Launcher Pro
3 Pure widgets (Calendar, Grid Calendar and Messenger ... I know this is 3 but they all sit well together)
4 Aldiko Premium
5 Hanping CH-En Pro

This excludes things I consider a given if you have a compatible Android device, such as Google Maps with Navigation etc. Naturally, like all lists, it likely changes several times a day depending on my mood ;).

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ditto on Setting Profiles mentioned above. It's awesome, and the latest update supports Live Wallpapers which is nice.

The best "app" I have that not very many people have heard of is Powerstrip. It's sortof like Quickdesk, but I prefer it over Quickdesk, I guess.

YouTube - Power Strip Android App Review

What are all the settings you can edit? I'm using tasker, a program like setting profiles, but my trial ends tomorrow. In tasker you can basically set anything you want on your phone to do what you want when you want.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I found this interesting app that apparently came with the phone. It's called GMail and it seems to take my electronic mail account and "push it" to my phone. Sounds kind of violent but it sure beats carrying around my PC tower, monitor, USRobotics modem, and surge protector.

Ok, but in all seriousness, an app that I would recommend is Tech Buzz (an app/widget for tech-related news). I had never heard about it and hadn't seen anything about it until coming along a review of it here. Definitely worth checking out.

Your welcome haha. Didn't think anybody looked and read that.

Live bookmarks - a nice little bookmark folder/widget that scrolls when you open it.

Tikl - a walkie talkie type app that you can talk to friends who have and android phone and the app. The sad thing is my tech illiterate friend showed me it and I never heard of it until she showed me. For once somebody I know knew something about an android app that I didn't.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
we need to start a list....I did it at wmexperts and everythingq.com
I had free apps in blue and paid apps in red and it was catagorized and everything..
It was a PITA but what do you guys think about starting one here?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Rockplayer! Droid now plays DiVx and xvid!

Dazzle is prettycool.

Bloo for Facebook.

I dropped Astro file explorer 'cause the new update includes adds!

Autoresponder replys to SMS and Calls with an away SMS message.

link for rockplayer please? i saw it once somewhere and can't find it now.

I agree with Bloo. It's awesome!

datpiff if you're into mixtapes and/or underground rap

mario soundboard (who doesn't love the sounds from mario?) :)

XDA (of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084