09-16-2011 06:10 AM
90 1234
tools
    Acast all the way for audio and video podcasts for free though i wish someone made DrPodder for android as that is my favorite on webos
    03-01-2010 08:26 AM
    DoggCatcher is my favorite. It does everything that I want it to like downloading only when connected to a power source, deleting old podcasts. Great app, and worth every penny.
    03-01-2010 09:32 AM
    Definitely Doggcatcher. It's the only paid one that I've used, but it works better for me than the many free ones that I've tried.
    03-01-2010 10:06 AM
    so far I will have to go with Listen!
    03-01-2010 11:07 AM
    Best Paid: BeyondPod

This app rules for many reasons, including:
    1. configurable categories
    2. responsive and active developer
    3. free trial with full functionality
    4. playlists
    5. allows download or streaming
    6. can automatically delete files when done listening
    7. can see lists by podcast, category, or all
    8. lots of information elegantly displayed - i love the played progress monitor on the podcast lists
    9. lots of configuration options, like when to update each category/podcast, how many to download, download when on wifi, etc.
    10. Download queue management coming according to developer

I chose this over doggcatcher because dc didn't have a free full-featured trial that I could find (might be different now). Also, does dc have configurable categories? For someone who tracks lots of podcasts, this is essential.

Even though price of bp is steep, it's a great player, I use it every day on my commute. Decent 1x4 widget too.

Best Free: dPod

Listen can't handle vidcasts, and has cluttered interface. dPod is way better. I think I tried acast way back, but rejected it in favor of dpod. dPod has improved over time.
    03-01-2010 01:26 PM
    I have to go with Kaiser on this. As a Pre owner, I loved my DrPodder and on the Droid, the closest thing I can find to it is ACast. It seems to give me the best control for downloading and playing podcasts in the order I want, not some playlist or live stream. Also good support for video, I'm DLing the Engadget Show podcast as we speak and I know it'll play like a champ.
    03-01-2010 03:40 PM
    I'm curious... what library controls are available? I used Podtrapper (which was $10 when I bought it, so I don't mind paying for an app if it offers what it need) on BB and now I've only ever used Listen on my new Droid, but it seems to have all of the controls I could need for downloading and listening to podcasts. What are us Listen users missing out on?

-SR-
    DoggCatcher has settings for auto-deletion. It also gives you settings, per feed, that allow you to set how many episodes of a particular feed to want to view and download.

If I was the type of person who only listens to a few feeds, I'd probably be fine with listen. However, with the number of feeds I listen to per week, the settings that Doggcatcher gives me make it so I don't have to manage anything in my feed list once a feed is set. It's a real time saver.

Also, it can't be ignored that Listen doesn't support video podcasts. Personally, I only watch the occasional video podcast, but it's nice to have the option.
    03-01-2010 03:56 PM
    DoggCatcher has settings for auto-deletion...
    Does it also have categories to help organize your podcasts, like BeyondPod? Thanks.
    03-01-2010 05:53 PM
    Does it also have categories to help organize your podcasts, like BeyondPod? Thanks.
    Nope. You can't categorize them, but you can put them in whatever order you want.
    03-02-2010 04:55 PM
    I use Listen. It is free and does the job well enough for me.
    03-02-2010 06:59 PM
    Finding the right podcatcher is a real pain. Everybody needs very different behavior. And testing only a few is very long.

I have a lot of feeds i listen only in my car when doing long trip. So listening to 10 BBC podcasts, then 10 Nasa podcasts, then... is a bit boring.
    And there's some shows i want to skip and listen later, and some i want to skip forever.

So for me they're all good, but misses 2 functions (unless I haven't foud them):
    - play randomly between all shows.
    - in play mode, 2 ways to skip. Like 1 button "play next and mark as read", and 1 "play next and mark as unread"(or choose the next one in the playlist).

Beyondpod seems the best for me. With smartplaylist i have a kind of random function.
    I find it very complicated though
    03-03-2010 01:44 PM
    Google Listen!
    03-05-2010 12:49 AM
    Listen by Google is the one I'm currently using... I'm considering Dogg Catcher though
    03-07-2010 09:11 PM
    Initially worked with Google Listen, but was very buggy. Moved to Doggcatcher, and liked it very much. However, I've tried Listen again, and I've gone back to that - like the integration with Google Reader.
    03-07-2010 10:05 PM
    I have used LaunchCast for a while now on Blackberry, but have been having troubles with it on Android. So I think I'm gonna give Listen a listen(haha corny joke).
    03-15-2010 09:09 PM
    I tried Listen for a while but it seemed a bit buggy to me. I am now testing Mediafly. I see no one is recommending it. It seems like a pretty good player so far. Its free. Plays video and audio podcasts with a lot of suggestions in each catagories.
    I still have Listen loaded up in case this don't pan out.
    03-15-2010 11:43 PM
    i used mediafly on my iphone, it worked pretty well, but i think you had to stream and it didnt cache locally right? is this the same with the android version?
    03-25-2010 04:23 PM
    I tried Listen but it never would update my subscriptions after the very first time so I deleted it. I was loving dPod until I flashed to DamageControl 2.0 today and now it says No Music Found every time I try to listen to a downloaded file. I'm thinking about doggcatcher but I kind of need to know if it works with the ROM before I pay for it. Either that or anyone got a fix for dPod? I'm slowly finding out I'm the only person in the world with the combination of a flashed ROM and dPod. Just my luck...
    03-29-2010 11:45 PM
    Listen does the job just fine, but Podtrapper (for Blackberry) was simply awesome. Apparently it is being worked on for Android!
    03-30-2010 07:12 PM
    Google Listen is great. The new integration with reader is a big plus. The one big feature that nobody seems to offer thatI would be willing to pay good money for is variable speed playback. I guess the built-in Android media player doesn't support it and apparently hats what all the apps on the market now use. But man, this is the only single bit of functionality that I miss from my iPhone. I could burn through twice as many podcast at 2x playback.
    03-31-2010 02:05 AM
    So I downloaded Doggcatcher yesterday, it's now my pick for podcatchers. For $7 it works perfectly, updates properly, integrates reader, search function is well done (except it doesn't know what Tha O Show is), easy to use, well organized, customizable, etc.
    Can you tell I dig it?
    I listen to around 10 or 12 weekly podcasts and subscribe to around 20 RSS feeds to read. For me, it's the shizzy.
    03-31-2010 11:46 AM
    Does DoggCatcher work for Audio Books. That all I listen to and PodTrapper (for bb) did a great job of stuff like auto bookmarking.
    07-25-2010 07:29 PM
    google listen is what works for me....I cancelled my sirius radio because between here and Leo Laporte I don't need no stinkin' radio
    07-25-2010 07:42 PM
    Tried to set up Google Listen last night but couldn't get past a pop up that indicated I didn't have a google account for it to sync to....that is not the case.....so what would be the advice for someone looking to use this app or anything to avoid paying for a $7 podcatcher.
    08-06-2010 02:41 PM
    I'm in the same boat I recently got back to the official 2.2 with the evo and Google listen has not worked since I was on 2.1. I'm looking for a free solution that's simplistic like listen was.

Update.......
    After looking through the market I have found a free solution. It's called dpod , its simple yet effective as I only needed it for android central podcasts. It even plays through your stock music player (which ever one you actually use )
    08-07-2010 12:55 AM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD