What ram formats are used in smartphones?

cipher28

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I know it varies depending on company make & model. But their seems to be more than a few, example LPDDR3. I notice in a majority of the specs of the ram on smartphones, they just state the gb..nothing else. Even most of the specs of the cpu is generalized most of the time(just saying the ghz, model of cpu but rarely)

I wonder if they will ever get more technical, like for PC where its standard to state to type, speed etc. Do you think eventually ram will be swappable/upgradable soon? I think they could be. I see quite a few smartphones of the same model, just more ram, memory, & flash storage ability. I'm kinda surprised the internal storage(main sys memory) isn't swappable yet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know it varies depending on company make & model. But their seems to be more than a few, example LPDDR3. I notice in a majority of the specs of the ram on smartphones, they just state the gb..nothing else. Even most of the specs of the cpu is generalized most of the time(just saying the ghz, model of cpu but rarely)

I wonder if they will ever get more technical, like for PC where its standard to state to type, speed etc. Do you think eventually ram will be swappable/upgradable soon? I think they could be. I see quite a few smartphones of the same model, just more ram, memory, & flash storage ability. I'm kinda surprised the internal storage(main sys memory) isn't swappable yet.

Yeah.. it takes a little bit of hunting to get the specific memory type.... a lot of the main spec sites tend not to publish that info. As for whether it will be upgradable soon.... maybe with something like Project Ara, but in general, I wouldn't expect to see it. The memory is 'hard wired' to the phone's main board, not popped into a slot like in a PC or laptop. Adding in the ability to swap or upgrade would mean redesigning the board to allow for a ram slot, etc... this adds complexity, cost and it would make the phones more bulky. As is, we are seeing OEMs move away from removable batteries...