02-23-2018 11:15 AM
133 1234 ...
tools
    Ive been using arrow for a while and it was good however its a significant leap forward now. The look is brilliant and gestures are new too. Love being able to swipe up and open Cortana that easily.

A wee bit laggy ive found the now but it is a beta so that should be expected. But for the utility page and look, I can cope with a wee bit lag for now.
    "wee" - Are you from Scotland too by any chance?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-06-2017 05:00 PM
    "wee" - Are you from Scotland too by any chance?
    Aye, guilty as charged
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-06-2017 05:27 PM
    Aye, guilty as charged
    Former WP users AND Scottish. We must be a rare breed
    Laura Knotek and Wbutchart1 like this.
    10-06-2017 05:40 PM
    Cool... It's a small world (smile)
    10-06-2017 06:57 PM
    Aye very rare, I looked for a help group when leaving WP... There was none

Still miss WP but getting used to Android. Just can't fathom why WP users are choosing to go to ios, it's so out of the WP culture and strengths.
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    10-07-2017 03:25 AM

Still miss WP but getting used to Android. Just can't fathom why WP users are choosing to go to ios, it's so out of the WP culture and strengths.
    Yeah I miss it too. So much potential flushed down the drain. I can only imagine WP users are going to iOS for the simplicity? I usually jump phones every 3-4 months and go between Windows, iOS and Android just for the sake of change tbh. I sold my last Lumia, the 950xl just a few months ago and obviously there's not much to jump back to there now so I'll probably stick to Android for now. The new crop of iPhone's haven't excited me much at all either.
    Wbutchart1 and Mark Kaplan like this.
    10-07-2017 04:43 AM

I agree. I just can't bring myself to go down that hole.
    Right now, what I miss the most are these little things: Live Tiles, Unread Message Counts in icon (I am trying the app Notifier right now. I do not like the widgets), Cortana is not worth the trouble so I'm trying Bixby. Outlook for Android is lacking for me. No ability to pin mailboxes and no separate Calendar app. No 3rd party apps that can read Exchange that I've found. Again, really dislike the widgets. The S8 Plus is the same height as my Elite X3 but about a 1/4" less width. Getting used to the new keyboard layout has a learning curve. It will take so me getting used to but overall I like it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2017 02:43 PM
    Right now, what I miss the most are these little things: Live Tiles, Unread Message Counts in icon (I am trying the app Notifier right now. I do not like the widgets), Cortana is not worth the trouble so I'm trying Bixby. Outlook for Android is lacking for me. No ability to pin mailboxes and no separate Calendar app. No 3rd party apps that can read Exchange that I've found. Again, really dislike the widgets. The S8 Plus is the same height as my Elite X3 but about a 1/4" less width. Getting used to the new keyboard layout has a learning curve. It will take so me getting used to but overall I like it.
    What keyboard are you using? I like Gboard on my Android devices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utmethod.latin
    10-07-2017 04:17 PM
    Thank you! I just installed it. Looks good. Going to try it out.
    10-07-2017 05:23 PM
    Thank you! I just installed it. Looks good. Going to try it out.
    I like it since it has swipe typing and learns one's typing patterns like the WordFlow keyboard.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    10-07-2017 06:36 PM
    What keyboard are you using? I like Gboard on my Android devices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utmethod.latin
    Think I'll give Gboard a shot this weekend. Been on SwiftKey for what seems like forever. Maybe time to switch it up a bit.
    10-07-2017 09:14 PM
    Regarding widgets, feel the same... Ugly. Only have a small alarm clock widget on my home screen.
    Have been using Nova launcher but switched tonight to the Microsoft (formerly Arrow) beta launcher. The feed screen when you swipe right gives so much info that you really don't need widgets. You can customize the feed page with calendar contacts, weather, news etc. Also reinstalled Cortana after a 5 month hiatus and she's improved a lot. Didn't find Bixby useful at all but if you end up liking it, great. I liked Google assistant much better. If Cortana doesn't work our, that's what I'll go back to. As of tonight though I'm enjoying the fluid sync with my phone/laptop with Cortana. We'll see. She's on probation for the time being. Google calendar is nice and you can import your outlook calendar over to it.
    10-07-2017 10:33 PM
    I like it since it has swipe typing and learns one's typing patterns like the WordFlow keyboard.
    I also like that the keys are bigger and the layout is more similar to what I'm used to
    10-07-2017 10:33 PM
    Regarding widgets, feel the same... Ugly. Only have a small alarm clock widget on my home screen.
    Have been using Nova launcher but switched tonight to the Microsoft (formerly Arrow) beta launcher. The feed screen when you swipe right gives so much info that you really don't need widgets. You can customize the feed page with calendar contacts, weather, news etc. Also reinstalled Cortana after a 5 month hiatus and she's improved a lot. Didn't find Bixby useful at all but if you end up liking it, great. I liked Google assistant much better. If Cortana doesn't work our, that's what I'll go back to. As of tonight though I'm enjoying the fluid sync with my phone/laptop with Cortana. We'll see. She's on probation for the time being. Google calendar is nice and you can import your outlook calendar over to it.
    I do like the new launcher. Very familiar look and feel for me. I used Cortana mostly for text to speech and basic commands while driving. She doesn't have the integration into Android that she does with Windows. A lot of the functionality is missing. I'm actually kind of impressed with Bixby. She's very responsive. Still has a few bugs but I'm used to that coming from WP.
    10-07-2017 10:37 PM
    Any advice on how to get texts read over Bluetooth? I am spoiled by Cortana on WP for this as it was seamlessly integrated.
    11B1P likes this.
    10-07-2017 11:45 PM
    Hey all just switched to Android from my L950. Still. Missing it. Little surprised at how much faster it was to. Do. Things on Wm10. Small example, swiping from top when receiving a notification for text and being able to reply right from that screen is pretty impressive!

Anyways that was yesterday trying g to be open minded with my switch.

Ms Launcher is great. But for the life of I cannot figure out how to pin a contact to the home screen. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    10-10-2017 10:51 PM
    Small example, swiping from top when receiving a notification for text and being able to reply right from that screen is pretty impressive!
    Android has had this feature for at least 3 years.
    10-10-2017 11:02 PM
    Hey all just switched to Android from my L950. Still. Missing it. Little surprised at how much faster it was to. Do. Things on Wm10. Small example, swiping from top when receiving a notification for text and being able to reply right from that screen is pretty impressive!

Ms Launcher is great. But for the life of I cannot figure out how to pin a contact to the home screen. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    long press home screen...tap on add widgets....scroll to phone widget. From here you can pin whole contact, direct dial or direct message.Windows Phone convert-tempfileforshare_20171010-232634.jpgWindows Phone convert-screenshot_20171010-232821.jpg
    RealtorTechGuy likes this.
    10-10-2017 11:38 PM

re:replying to text message...open messages...tap 3 dots right upper corner...tap settings...tap notifications...toggle on for pop-up display and preview message.
    When you get a message pop-up at top of screen, you can either reply right there, mark as read or closeWindows Phone convert-screenshot_20171010-234606.jpg
    RealtorTechGuy likes this.
    10-10-2017 11:52 PM
    Any advice on how to get texts read over Bluetooth? I am spoiled by Cortana on WP for this as it was seamlessly integrated.
    Don't use Bluetooth in car so can't help there. Sorry.
    10-10-2017 11:55 PM
    Don't know why my pics always double post. Sorry about that.
    10-10-2017 11:56 PM
    Mar Beth Hale,awesome thank you so much.
    10-11-2017 12:23 AM
    Slowing getting used to Android. Really a shame that MD botched WM, it really is more productive. Really appreciate all these comments/threads.

Is there anythi good like Driving Mode for Android?

S8 is very quick and fluid. Device design is very good.

SwiftKey is excellent.

I like theock screen functions on Android.
    10-11-2017 02:28 AM
    Slowing getting used to Android. Really a shame that MD botched WM, it really is more productive. Really appreciate all these comments/threads.

Is there anythi good like Driving Mode for Android?

S8 is very quick and fluid. Device design is very good.

SwiftKey is excellent.

I like theock screen functions on Android.
    Samsung has a Drive Mode app for download from the Galaxy App Store. AutoMate and DriveMode from the Play Store are great apps.
    10-11-2017 02:38 AM
    If you want to switch things up at some point (one of the benefits of Android) try Nova launcher too. Tons of customizations. Worth paying for Prime. You can have several launchers installed and can change default whenever you please.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2017 08:19 AM
133 1234 ...