02-23-2018 11:15 AM
133 ... 3456
tools
    I did try Android Auto and if I had a newer model car it would apparently work well but not in my 2013. The best I can find right now is Drivetime.
    I have a 2008 Nissan Armada and a 2010 Nissan Altima and AA works just fine. I'm not trying to run AA thru the car, I'm using it strictly on the phone.
    11-02-2017 04:25 PM
    Keep this thread up to date on what you find.
    I miss that feature from WM10, but I don't use it near as much as you so I would like to see what the reliability is for you on each of these apps and make me decision based on that (especially if I have to pay for something).
    I tried ReadItToMe today and it would be a good alternative if it heard better. I find half the time it will not hear me. At first it didnt hear me at all through my cars BT. The have an experimental setting to correct this that once I enabled did allow the app to hear me, it just doesnt work all the time which is frustrating. Right now, the closest I can get is Drivemode which is still nowhere near the Cortana experience.
    11-02-2017 06:49 PM
    I have a 2008 Nissan Armada and a 2010 Nissan Altima and AA works just fine. I'm not trying to run AA thru the car, I'm using it strictly on the phone.
    I haven't tried using it through the phone. The problem there is if I'm listening to music, I will never hear anything coming out of the phone. Plus I use my phone to play music over BT.
    11-02-2017 06:53 PM
    Drivemode is the one I've been using (not Drivetime as I misstated earlier). It's been clunky for me. It doesn't switch over to BT if I'm listening to the radio for texts but does for phone calls. I have to catch the screen notification and switch audio in the car to BT. The voice is annoying but I can live with that. It's also not 100% reliable as sometimes texts do not seem to go through the app. I do agree its the best I've tried so far but far from what the Cortana experience on W10M was. I'm going to give ReadItToMe Beta a shot next.
    Right. I forgot about that feature and it's still a problem for me. I remember Win Phone had the feature where you could check the "connect in a different way" box and it would make Cortana's interactions simulate an incoming call so your car would always route it through the car's stereo. For Android I just leave the phone volume up and use the phone's speaker when I have the radio on. When streaming over bluetooth of course it's not a problem since the car is already on the bluetooth input.
    11-03-2017 08:42 AM
    I'm just about to abandon my W10M on 950XL - contract up in 4 days. Just trying to decide which phone to go for.

I too will be sorely disappointed, having read the comments above, about a watered down Cortana experience. Like Mark, I shall miss texts over BT. The ability to receive, have read, and reply to text messages when in the car is just so useful. I do not want text messages displayed on screen in the car for any other passengers to read!

Hopefully Cortana will be enhanced.
    11-04-2017 06:03 AM
    Yes welcome i have a Galaxy note edge that ive had since new 2014 an love it
    11-04-2017 09:57 AM
    Hey Mark, have you found a way to get Cortana to sync with your phone and W10? I am also person who came from W10M (Lumia 950) trying to fill in the gaps with my switch to Android. Loving the Note 8 thus far.
    11-06-2017 05:23 PM
    Hey Mark, have you found a way to get Cortana to sync with your phone and W10? I am also person who came from W10M (Lumia 950) trying to fill in the gaps with my switch to Android. Loving the Note 8 thus far.
    I do have this working, in Settings-Cross Device, you can toggle what you want to sync.
    The version I am running is 2.9.7.1987-enus-release
    11-07-2017 05:42 PM
    Ex Windows phone user here and just wanted to post the below using SquareHome 2 . Seen some negative reviews about the launcher here and just wanted to champion it as , to me, it is the best W10 like launcher for Android. It has live tiles, you can animate any tile and the customization options are massive. You just need to spend about 20 mins initially setting it up.

Give it a go ! :-)Windows Phone convert-capture.jpg
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    11-08-2017 08:22 AM
    I don't know what the problem is, but I have everything set to notify in the Cortana app. I gave it permissions to notifications. I am signed on with the same account in Cortana on my Note 8 and my W10 PC. I have the notifications setup on the PC. They just aren't seeing each other and I have no idea why. Is there a way to reset Cortana on the PC?
    11-09-2017 11:10 AM
    I don't know what the problem is, but I have everything set to notify in the Cortana app. I gave it permissions to notifications. I am signed on with the same account in Cortana on my Note 8 and my W10 PC. I have the notifications setup on the PC. They just aren't seeing each other and I have no idea why. Is there a way to reset Cortana on the PC?
    On the PC you are trying to sync, in the Cortana control panel, do you have the notifications toggle set to On for allowing your phone to come through? Also click on Manage Notifications, this should open up a side window in Cortana allowing you to select what you want to be notified of. If all this is set up, I would uninstall on the phone and reinstall.
    11-09-2017 12:02 PM
    I cleared my Cortana history and that appears to have jiggled something. Before I did that, the apps list for notifications on my PC didn't correspond with what was actually on my Note 8. Now it does. Everything is set to notify; however, I still don't get any notifications. I'll try to reinstall Cortana on my phone again.
    12-05-2017 12:34 PM
    I'm surprised I missed this thread!

I am another Windows Phone convert. I still miss Windows Phone, but it was the app gap that made me switch. I actually tried Android in 2014 with the Nexus 5. Used it for a few months and ended up going back to my beloved Lumia 1020. Used a Galaxy Note 4 that I got for cheap for a bit... Until MS announced the Lumia 950 which I bought on launch day and used for a year until finally some critical apps discontinued Windows Mobile support

Honestly if I didn't need those apps I'd probably still use my Lumia 950.

I use Textra for SMS and MMS.

I use Textra as well. I like how you can customize the colour and I make mine look like Windows Mobile messaging
    12-10-2017 02:20 AM

I am another Windows Phone convert. I still miss Windows Phone, but it was the app gap that made me switch. I actually tried Android in 2014 with the Nexus 5. Used it for a few months and ended up going back to my beloved Lumia 1020. Used a Galaxy Note 4 that I got for cheap for a bit... Until MS announced the Lumia 950 which I bought on launch day and used for a year until finally some critical apps discontinued Windows Mobile support

I use Textra as well. I like how you can customize the colour and I make mine look like Windows Mobile messaging
    I am enjoying using MightyText.
    12-11-2017 02:21 PM
    It's fascinating seeing thus much of love we have for WP OS, WP fans never forget their ex apparently, we respect relationships :P
    12-11-2017 02:29 PM
    It's fascinating seeing thus much of love we have for WP OS, WP fans never forget their ex apparently, we respect relationships :P
    And an ex that treated you pretty badly, stopped giving you nice things, strung you along whilst they flirted with other partners then don't even tell you the relationship is over.... but we'd all still be willing to give them another try
    12-12-2017 05:54 AM
    And an ex that treated you pretty badly, stopped giving you nice things, strung you along whilst they flirted with other partners then don't even tell you the relationship is over.... but we'd all still be willing to give them another try
    That's exactly how it works in relationships so why not?
    12-12-2017 11:49 AM
    The simple fact is it's a better OS. It does basic things SO much better which is why the switch to Android is so hard. I'm a business user. If it wasnt for the app gap, I would still be on W10M.
    gernerttl and krafty11 like this.
    12-12-2017 11:50 AM
    Good thanks
    01-06-2018 02:52 PM
    I am enjoying using MightyText.

Exactly! I had a Note 2, then decided to jump to a 928, then an Icon. When Microsoft decided to not included CDMA on the 950, I had to make a decision. Either leave Verizon or leave Windows Mobile. I wasn't going to change carriers over a phone, so I got an HTC One M9 (bad choice), and ended up with an iPhone for awhile before coming back into the Samsung fold.

If weren't for the lack of CDMA and certain core apps that I used regularly, I'd still be on Windows Mobile.
    01-07-2018 10:45 AM
    I'm a new Android owner (Pixel 2), but I'm not yet ready to call myself a convert. I still wish that Microsoft would come out with something, although I'm not in as big a rush now that I have replaced my four-year-old Icon. I am kind of disappointed to have heard Zac say on the WC podcast that Andromeda will be out this year, though. He couldn't say it 10 days ago, could he??? :/

I'm still struggling with a few things on it, like getting Cortana to read texts to me, but I hope that will come soon.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-15-2018 12:50 AM
    Cortana integration is the one thing I miss the most on W10M. The latest update, integrating it with the launcher has finally enabled the ability to make a phone call. I also hope texts come soon.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-15-2018 11:28 AM
    I'm a new Android owner (Pixel 2), but I'm not yet ready to call myself a convert. I still wish that Microsoft would come out with something, although I'm not in as big a rush now that I have replaced my four-year-old Icon. I am kind of disappointed to have heard Zac say on the WC podcast that Andromeda will be out this year, though. He couldn't say it 10 days ago, could he??? :/

I'm still struggling with a few things on it, like getting Cortana to read texts to me, but I hope that will come soon.
    Hey! Long time no talk! Welcome to the dark side. I'm also still holding on to the hope that Microsoft will come out with a new phone.
    02-16-2018 02:22 AM
    Did someone say Andromeda?
    02-16-2018 04:23 PM

I just learned this. I use Verizon Messages+ and there is a setting that turns on reading texts out loud without prompting. I can't remember if you were on Verizon or not.
    02-16-2018 05:40 PM
133 ... 3456