Windows Phone convert

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Fully agreed. AND the ability to pin mailboxes like it worked on W10M.

Oh yes. Since Microsoft has declared WP dead, I wish they would make their Android apps better. Just spoiled I guess, since stuff worked buttery smooth on WP. I understand that it can't integrate the same way in Android, but I can dream, right?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If Outlook doesn't suit your needs you can try Nine. It's not free but is completely compatible with Outlook and Hotmail accounts and will sync contacts, calendar and tasks. I switched over to it after using the Outlook app for a while.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If Outlook doesn't suit your needs you can try Nine. It's not free but is completely compatible with Outlook and Hotmail accounts and will sync contacts, calendar and tasks. I switched over to it after using the Outlook app for a while.

Thanks. I've heard some good things about that app.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes. Since Microsoft has declared WP dead, I wish they would make their Android apps better. Just spoiled I guess, since stuff worked buttery smooth on WP. I understand that it can't integrate the same way in Android, but I can dream, right?

LOL... Reread my post and didn't realize I was still PO'd at Microsoft for dropping the ball on WP.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

You should have seen what Microsoft's Android apps looked like a year ago. It has made a LOT of improvements.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Would also love to see Cortana integrate with the OS better. It does so much more on W10M.

I wonder if there's enough interest in a sub-forum for Microsoft apps on Android

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Would also love to see Cortana integrate with the OS better. It does so much more on W10M.

I wonder if there's enough interest in a sub-forum for Microsoft apps on Android

Me too.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee that happening. Google Now is baked into Android, Siri is baked into iOS, and Cortana is baked into Windows.

For Cortana to be integrated more, it would require Google to allow that.

Here is a thought though...it would sound blasphemous. How about Microsoft build its own customized Android OS? It could then bake Cortana into it as well as the other Microsoft apps. People could switch to Microsoft produced phones and still use their Android apps.

Being a former Windows Mobile user, that may sound blasphemous. But, Microsoft could make Android look and behave like Windows Mobile...

Please don't shoot me, or excommunicate me for that comment...

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Me too.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee that happening. Google Now is baked into Android, Siri is baked into iOS, and Cortana is baked into Windows.

For Cortana to be integrated more, it would require Google to allow that.

Here is a thought though...it would sound blasphemous. How about Microsoft build its own customized Android OS? It could then bake Cortana into it as well as the other Microsoft apps. People could switch to Microsoft produced phones and still use their Android apps.

Being a former Windows Mobile user, that may sound blasphemous. But, Microsoft could make Android look and behave like Windows Mobile...

Please don't shoot me, or excommunicate me for that comment...

That's actually not a bad idea at all!

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the ReadItToMe app Mark? I've been using it in my vehicles lately and it's been excellent. It has different profiles for different Bluetooth devices/vehicles and can either automatically read your messages or can ask if you want it read out to you. You can reply to every message/app too with your voice as it can give you a voice prompt at the end of each message. I've been using it for SMS and WhatsApp and found it to be great

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried the ReadItToMe app Mark? I've been using it in my vehicles lately and it's been excellent. It has different profiles for different Bluetooth devices/vehicles and can either automatically read your messages or can ask if you want it read out to you. You can reply to every message/app too with your voice as it can give you a voice prompt at the end of each message. I've been using it for SMS and WhatsApp and found it to be great

I will give this a try. I see they have a new beta version out. Thank you!

cnjvh

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Try Drivemode:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivemode.android&hl=en

Does exactly what Cortana did (you got a text from (person), read it?)

Then it will give you the option of replying, will read back your reply, and ask to send.

The app does have to be running (it can be in the background). It does have an auto launch option.

I've tried alot of these (including ReadItToMe) and this is the best Cortana replacement for voice texting IMO. It will cost you a couple bucks to remove the added signature from your texts.

ReadItToMe was decent but regularly quit working and needed a restart.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Try Drivemode:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivemode.android&hl=en

Does exactly what Cortana did (you got a text from (person), read it?)

Then it will give you the option of replying, will read back your reply, and ask to send.

The app does have to be running (it can be in the background). It does have an auto launch option.

I've tried alot of these (including ReadItToMe) and this is the best Cortana replacement for voice texting IMO. It will cost you a couple bucks to remove the added signature from your texts.

ReadItToMe was decent but regularly quit working and needed a restart.

Drivemode is the one I've been using (not Drivetime as I misstated earlier). It's been clunky for me. It doesn't switch over to BT if I'm listening to the radio for texts but does for phone calls. I have to catch the screen notification and switch audio in the car to BT. The voice is annoying but I can live with that. It's also not 100% reliable as sometimes texts do not seem to go through the app. I do agree its the best I've tried so far but far from what the Cortana experience on W10M was. I'm going to give ReadItToMe Beta a shot next.

cnashx

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Drivemode is the one I've been using (not Drivetime as I misstated earlier). It's been clunky for me. It doesn't switch over to BT if I'm listening to the radio for texts but does for phone calls. I have to catch the screen notification and switch audio in the car to BT. The voice is annoying but I can live with that. It's also not 100% reliable as sometimes texts do not seem to go through the app. I do agree its the best I've tried so far but far from what the Cortana experience on W10M was. I'm going to give ReadItToMe Beta a shot next.

Keep this thread up to date on what you find.
I miss that feature from WM10, but I don't use it near as much as you so I would like to see what the reliability is for you on each of these apps and make me decision based on that (especially if I have to pay for something).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34