Windows Phone convert

hopmedic

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new Android owner (Pixel 2), but I'm not yet ready to call myself a convert. I still wish that Microsoft would come out with something, although I'm not in as big a rush now that I have replaced my four-year-old Icon. I am kind of disappointed to have heard Zac say on the WC podcast that Andromeda will be out this year, though. He couldn't say it 10 days ago, could he??? :/

I'm still struggling with a few things on it, like getting Cortana to read texts to me, but I hope that will come soon.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Cortana integration is the one thing I miss the most on W10M. The latest update, integrating it with the launcher has finally enabled the ability to make a phone call. I also hope texts come soon.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm a new Android owner (Pixel 2), but I'm not yet ready to call myself a convert. I still wish that Microsoft would come out with something, although I'm not in as big a rush now that I have replaced my four-year-old Icon. I am kind of disappointed to have heard Zac say on the WC podcast that Andromeda will be out this year, though. He couldn't say it 10 days ago, could he??? :/

I'm still struggling with a few things on it, like getting Cortana to read texts to me, but I hope that will come soon.

Hey! Long time no talk! Welcome to the dark side. I'm also still holding on to the hope that Microsoft will come out with a new phone.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I just learned this. I use Verizon Messages+ and there is a setting that turns on reading texts out loud without prompting. I can't remember if you were on Verizon or not.

pidjones

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I'm still using a Lumia 640 as my daily, but have an el-cheapo Android 6.0 that I'm trying to get used to, just on wifi. The main thing that keeps me on the 640 is Cortana. I ride a touring motorcycle, and it is necessary to have her dialing the phone, reading and answering texts through the Bluetooth headset in my helmet. I've just not had reliable voice-activated interface with Android yet. I have Saiy, but have not gone through setup yet. I tried !utter on the work Rugby Pro (Android 4.2, I think) and it was hit-and miss, too unreliable for travel. I really need something that does the voice recognition on the phone, not by connecting back to mother Google or Apple. Often where I ride there is little to no coverage. Can't make a call, but I'd like to at least be able to talk to the phone. Heck, my old Rugby 2 flip could do it!
So, still on the 640 (but it has started randomly rebooting on me) as long as the hardware holds up (love the camera, too). Cortana does what I need on it. I'm hesitant to take the time to try it on Android, as I fear the base OS is still weak.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm still using a Lumia 640 as my daily, but have an el-cheapo Android 6.0 that I'm trying to get used to, just on wifi. The main thing that keeps me on the 640 is Cortana. I ride a touring motorcycle, and it is necessary to have her dialing the phone, reading and answering texts through the Bluetooth headset in my helmet. I've just not had reliable voice-activated interface with Android yet. I have Saiy, but have not gone through setup yet. I tried !utter on the work Rugby Pro (Android 4.2, I think) and it was hit-and miss, too unreliable for travel. I really need something that does the voice recognition on the phone, not by connecting back to mother Google or Apple. Often where I ride there is little to no coverage. Can't make a call, but I'd like to at least be able to talk to the phone. Heck, my old Rugby 2 flip could do it!
So, still on the 640 (but it has started randomly rebooting on me) as long as the hardware holds up (love the camera, too). Cortana does what I need on it. I'm hesitant to take the time to try it on Android, as I fear the base OS is still weak.
You could try a Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ or a Note 8. Both have Bixby, which is Samsung's entry into the digital assistant space. It's still a work in progress though.

Also, Google Assistant has come along way since Jelly Bean (Android v4.2).

pidjones

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
You could try a Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ or a Note 8. Both have Bixby, which is Samsung's entry into the digital assistant space. It's still a work in progress though.

Also, Google Assistant has come along way since Jelly Bean (Android v4.2).

Excuse me? "Try" a $600 phone? I'm not made of money, nor tied to the tech. I'll stay with the 640 until it dies if spending that much on a phone is required. I have a cheap off-brand phone (POSH) with Android 6, and Google Assistant is still nothing that I can rely on for trips. Trying Cortana and Microsoft Launcher on it still isn't working because (same as with Google Assistant) it won't wake up with the Bluetooth button on my headset.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I have had no luck with either Bixby or Google assistant on my S8 Plus. Drivemode is the only app I've found that works 80% of the time.

pidjones

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, Mark. About what I expected. I need better than 80%. Saiy has promise, but requires quite a bet of setup and is still fairly Beta stuff. Guess I'll do without the rich app library (I will still carry my Android tablet and maybe the POSH for wifi use).

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I like that Cortana can now make phone calls on my S8+ but she still can't do texts or play music. It's frustrating for sure. I havent heard of Saly before.

Update: Cortana can send texts and make phone calls but cannot answer incoming calls or messages yet. It also can't play any music from my library as its only supporting Spotify now and even that doesnt work on Android.

Last edited:

pidjones

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Saiy is a re-coded !utter. It is available on the Play store and very flexible but also pretty complex to get set up. I had !utter working ~75 or the time on my work Rugby Pro a couple years ago, but had to use Tasker to switch WIFI off when Bluetooth connected or it woudn't respond when not in WIFI range. There is a thread on here somewhere for Saiy.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Saiy is a re-coded !utter. It is available on the Play store and very flexible but also pretty complex to get set up. I had !utter working ~75 or the time on my work Rugby Pro a couple years ago, but had to use Tasker to switch WIFI off when Bluetooth connected or it woudn't respond when not in WIFI range. There is a thread on here somewhere for Saiy.

Interesting. I will check it out.