Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Coming from W10M, I am very spoiled on Cortana and it is seriously lacking in functionality on Android. Cortana needs to be fully integrated into the OS so that calls and texts, as well as other functions, can be performed without touching the screen.

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
I am just trying to get my Note 8 to sync notifications via Cortana with my W10 laptop. No luck. Anyone get it working? Isn't it supposed to work, or did they remove it at some point?

Vertego

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Syncing to PC is not a problem for me. Getting SMS over Bluetooth, however, is! Really needs some work to bring it up to the level of the W10M functionality. Please.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Syncing to PC is not a problem for me. Getting SMS over Bluetooth, however, is! Really needs some work to bring it up to the level of the W10M functionality. Please.

Agreed, that doesnt work at all yet. In general, the Cortana experiance on Android is not comparable to the W10M experience. The closest app I've found for car use is Drivemode.

hopmedic

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to get this working, too. I can tap/hold the home button (I have Hey Cortana turned off because I have an Invoke, and I don't need my phone, PC, and the speaker all to answer me), and speak to send a text, but I can't figure out how to make it read a text to me while I drive. I sure miss the convenience of Windows Phone, but my Icon is going to be four years old in five days, so I finally broke down and got a Pixel 2.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I am just trying to get my Note 8 to sync notifications via Cortana with my W10 laptop. No luck. Anyone get it working? Isn't it supposed to work, or did they remove it at some point?

All my notifications sync with my W10 laptop. I have set it up in Cortana Settings.

Last edited:

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I also am not having an issue with notifications sync to my PC. Actually I had to tweak them because I was getting too many app notification.

hopmedic

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm getting notifications to my PC for texts, and I can reply, but I can't get Cortana to read me texts in the car like she did on my Icon.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
So far I'm getting notifications to my PC for texts, and I can reply, but I can't get Cortana to read me texts in the car like she did on my Icon.

That is what I miss the most. There are a few Android 3rd party apps that claim to do it but none work as good as Cortana did on W10M. I'm currently using Drivemode which is as good as I can find but its frustrating at times. The latest launcher update integrates Cortana and she can now place phone calls but nothing for texting yet.

pidjones

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone succeeded in getting Cortana to respond to Bluetooth headset button press while in lock screen? I need this for motorcycle handsfree. Of course, it would be needed for automobile handsfree, also.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I got a Pixel 2 for Christmas (my Icon was 4 years old) so I'm fairly new to Android. I got Cortana to answer to "Hey Cortana" with the Pixel launcher, so everything was all happy. Yesterday I decided to try out the Microsoft Launcher, and I got my phone all set up real nice with a dark theme, and very minimalist looking ... but I seem to have lost "Hey Cortana". I can type to have her do something, but I can't figure out how to get her to talk to me. Any tips and/or clues out there?

Thanks!

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I havent been able to get Hey Cortana to work on my S8. I have to press the Cortana microphone button that I keep on the desktop. I was able to yesterday have it search for an call a number from the web. I said Call (Business name) in Dallas Tx and she looked the number up and dialed it.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
The latest update for Cortana now allows for hands free texting and calling like Windows 10 mobile, but... there is always a but, you have to have it running to then use "Hey Cortana". Once you engage, it is hands free to send or call...

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Now if they could only add the option to allow Cortana to be dialed like WM for which there would be a contact created for Cortana and if you did not or could not use Hey Cortana while driving you could just use your car's BT to call Cortana and engage...

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
oooh! That's a great idea! I hope someone out there who can do something reads your idea. Fortunately I have a bluetooth system in my car that dials, reads texts, and lets me answer them. I cannot, however, originate a text, and there are times when I would REALLY like to do that!

When I first set up my new phone I set up Cortana as my main Assistant, not knowing that I was then crippling my ability to use the Google Assistant. I have since learned that when you do that you can't get back the full functionality of the Google Assistant. I wish that there was a warning somewhere letting newbies know stuff like that.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
oooh! That's a great idea! I hope someone out there who can do something reads your idea. Fortunately I have a bluetooth system in my car that dials, reads texts, and lets me answer them. I cannot, however, originate a text, and there are times when I would REALLY like to do that!

When I first set up my new phone I set up Cortana as my main Assistant, not knowing that I was then crippling my ability to use the Google Assistant. I have since learned that when you do that you can't get back the full functionality of the Google Assistant. I wish that there was a warning somewhere letting newbies know stuff like that.

You should be able to put Google Assistant back the way it was no problem. Just go to settings and set it as your Default Voice Assistant again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance