Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
The latest update for Cortana now allows for hands free texting and calling like Windows 10 mobile, but... there is always a but, you have to have it running to then use "Hey Cortana". Once you engage, it is hands free to send or call...

While this is true, she still cannot read incoming texts like she does on W10M. This is the feature I miss the most. Cortana made the driving experience much easier and safer. Current Android 3rd party apps do not come close. The ability to read and respond to incoming texts is needed.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
While this is true, she still cannot read incoming texts like she does on W10M. This is the feature I miss the most. Cortana made the driving experience much easier and safer. Current Android 3rd party apps do not come close. The ability to read and respond to incoming texts is needed.

Yes, that is the feature that I miss the most also. I use ReadItToMe, which is pretty close to what Cortana did for replying to incoming texts, but there is no way to initiate a text hands free.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes, that is the feature that I miss the most also. I use ReadItToMe, which is pretty close to what Cortana did for replying to incoming texts, but there is no way to initiate a text hands free.

I've been using Drivemode. It's still a bit buggy but the closest thing I could find. I didnt have good luck with ReadItToMe.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I've been using Drivemode. It's still a bit buggy but the closest thing I could find. I didnt have good luck with ReadItToMe.

Interesting. I will try it since yes, ReadItToMe is great when it works, but it very unstable, freezes, etc. Question, there are many apps called Drivemode, which one are you using? Thanks!

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I've been having problems with it recently since the Oreo upgrade. I have a ticket open regarding it understanding me and duplicate reads.

Vertego

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
"Cortana for Android beta can now read your incoming texts aloud" so reads the latest news. But does it? Is this yet another region specific (i.e. US only!) feature?

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
"Cortana for Android beta can now read your incoming texts aloud" so reads the latest news. But does it? Is this yet another region specific (i.e. US only!) feature?

I'm a Beta tester, downloaded the latest version, but the new option is nowhere to be found in the settings as shown in the articles...

Vertego

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm a Beta tester, downloaded the latest version, but the new option is nowhere to be found in the settings as shown in the articles...

Perhaps it's on a limited release, not going out to all beta testers. Which seems bizarre. Perhaps there's little purpose to being a beta tester here in the UK.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm also a beta tester and I have not yet seen the option. I do see that it's supposed to be there but its not.

Last edited: