Beginners help wanted!

tombirmingham

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I have what might seem like basic question.... I have a mobile responsive website and was considering getting an app for our company, but I've heard you can get a 'gateway' app, which basically just embeds your website into an app, so the users would still have an app logo on their home screen, but when they click on it they are basically just taken to your website.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible? or the proper name for it?

hopmedic

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaning more toward Progressive Web Apps. I created a couple of Windows Phone apps back in the 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, and 8.1 days. The most used one was for Weight Watchers, and after 8.0, I was no longer on WW, so I didn't update the app beyond that. I created the apps I did, just to teach myself C#.

Now that I'm on Android, I thought about whether I should learn to do Android dev in Xamarin (so as to cover Windows and Android together), but with all the talk about progressive web apps lately, I don't think I'm going to bother with Xamarin. Sure, I think there will still be a place for it, but I've been teaching myself web dev, so it's a shorter stretch to go to PWA than it is to go to Xamarin for native development, I think. With that in mind, my suggestion would be not to bother with a web wrapper app, but to take the existing site and add the functionality to make it a PWA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995