Android app and connected accounts

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
For the past 2 years the Outlook Android app has not been able to use connected accounts. They work on the Windows 10 app and even Windows 10 Mobile (they're the same app I know).

For years now I've use my main personal account as a email client for all my accounts. I've done so on Outlook when I was using Windows Phone and now Gmail on Android. I would love to go all Microsoft again but I refuse to split Outlook into 5 seperate accounts when I could just use Gmail and keep everything in one place.

The tech support was ridiculous. They say they know about the bug and will fix it someday but they don't know when and all I can do is just install the app once in a while to see if it's fixed. Services are the future of Microsoft and that's their way of thinking... I've been a mega Microsoft fan when I was using Windows Phone (as we all were) but now I just don't understand what they're doing.

Is it because so few people use this feature that they don't really care? Anyone else here use Outlook like I would and are on Android?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's because Microsoft doesn't support Android, it supports Microsoft products. Yes, they have an Outlook Android app, but that's just to keep the Microsoft name in your mind every time you check your email - it's not one of their top-tier products. There's an update only 3 days old - but what's it for? Looks and flash.

If you want a good email app for Android, and you're not using an Exchange server that's been set up in some way that only Microsoft could figure out, use an app written for Android and for POP3 or IMAP.

If you have to use Outlook, you'll have to put up with poor support from Microsoft or switch to a Nokia phone.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
It's because Microsoft doesn't support Android, it supports Microsoft products. Yes, they have an Outlook Android app, but that's just to keep the Microsoft name in your mind every time you check your email - it's not one of their top-tier products. There's an update only 3 days old - but what's it for? Looks and flash.

If you want a good email app for Android, and you're not using an Exchange server that's been set up in some way that only Microsoft could figure out, use an app written for Android and for POP3 or IMAP.

If you have to use Outlook, you'll have to put up with poor support from Microsoft or switch to a Nokia phone.

That's the thing, I don't have to use Outlook. I used to have Lumia phones and they were great. I came to Android after Microsoft decided to kill Windows 10 Mobile. No regrets, I love it. I would like to go back to using Microsoft services sometimes but I love Google's services too so if they don't support their apps properly I'm just going to stick with Google.

If they don't prioritize supporting the apps on Android, then they're shooting themselves in the foot. They know their future is based on their services as the days of living off Windows licences are long gone. But as a user I shouldn't be expected to compromise on usability to use their services. Their apps and services should be at least on par with the competition (which they didn't do in the Windows Phone days either and we all know where that led). Competition should be a starting point not a goal they hope to get to some day.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
First, it's not the same app on Android as it is on W10M. The W10M version is far superior to what is offered on Android and of course that's due to Microsoft's inability to integrate into the Android OS. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't come out with their own customized version of Android. MicroDroid? LOL!
Try joining their Outlook Beta program. The support is MUCH better and you'll be able to preview some new features. I don't mix accounts so I don't know if the beta supports what your trying to do. Now they need to come out with a separate calendar app and a contacts app. That's how it is on W10M.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
First, it's not the same app on Android as it is on W10M. The W10M version is far superior to what is offered on Android and of course that's due to Microsoft's inability to integrate into the Android OS. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't come out with their own customized version of Android. MicroDroid? LOL!
Try joining their Outlook Beta program. The support is MUCH better and you'll be able to preview some new features. I don't mix accounts so I don't know if the beta supports what your trying to do. Now they need to come out with a separate calendar app and a contacts app. That's how it is on W10M.

Yeah I know it's not the same (tell me about it ha ha).

I thought there were no beta programs given the option is not in the Google Play Store. I'll try that!

The issue with connected accounts being on Android is no excuse as far as I'm concerned. If Gmail can do it, they should be able to do it because they're trying to compete with Google. But strangely, Microsoft still doesn't even try to get up to par with their competitors. Until the mid 2000's, I thought it was arrogance. Now I just don't get it.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
The Outlook beta is handled outside the google store. Open a support ticket within the app and request to join the beta. The installations are sideloaded. You will find support in the beta app quite good and you can make feature suggestions.

Can I join your beta program on Android?
Thanks for your interest in Outlook for Android’s development! We do have extra spots in our Android beta testing program. If you contact our support team at Settings > Help and Feedback > Contact Support, let them know you're interested, we will send you a link. Please make sure to update the app when you receive notifications so we can ensure that these testing spots are being put to good use. Thanks again, we appreciate it!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
The Outlook beta is handled outside the google store. Open a support ticket within the app and request to join the beta. The installations are sideloaded. You will find support in the beta app quite good and you can make feature suggestions.

Can I join your beta program on Android?
Thanks for your interest in Outlook for Android’s development! We do have extra spots in our Android beta testing program. If you contact our support team at Settings > Help and Feedback > Contact Support, let them know you're interested, we will send you a link. Please make sure to update the app when you receive notifications so we can ensure that these testing spots are being put to good use. Thanks again, we appreciate it!

I did it this morning. They just said they don't support that feature and to suggest it ha ha ha!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1